Parkend Marsh Sidings in P4

Re6/6

6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Fascinating and confirmation of the organisation and structure behind the local trip workings at the time. It has been stated in the captions of one of the books on the FoD that there were sometimes only two locos in the Forest at any one time, one on the ex-S&Y section and one on the Bullo Pill to Cinderford section. I believe that on occasions one loco has had to be called in to rescue the other, when the latter got into trouble somewhere.

It also seems (judging by Bristol Turn 706) that there was still at least one diagram based at Lydney shed at the time.

Looks like more than that, but unless John says yes, not appropriate for this thread.

6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Fascinating and confirmation of the organisation and structure behind the local trip workings at the time. It has been stated in the captions of one of the books on the FoD that there were sometimes only two locos in the Forest at any one time, one on the ex-S&Y section and one on the Bullo Pill to Cinderford section. I believe that on occasions one loco has had to be called in to rescue the other, when the latter got into trouble somewhere.

It also seems (judging by Bristol Turn 706) that there was still at least one diagram based at Lydney shed at the time.

Looks like more than that, but unless John says yes, not appropriate for this thread.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tim V said:

Well, I would hazard to venture that such diagram information can be used to justify two panniers on Marsh Sidings at any one time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another visitor to the sidings. Not very F.O.D. though!

It will have three-link couplings fitted, re-wheeled and maybe a new chassis will be built for it. It is destined for another layout yet to be started properly. When P4ed it might get occasionally transferred to Callow Lane!

20201021_165310.jpg.7056365c81e0c487419b5b4e40a9392b.jpg

20201021_163626.jpg.a9950e0bffae1f7f84687ab9907d51ac.jpg

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Indeed Brian, the sidings have never been busier! The reason for all this eclectic and unlikely stock visiting is that we're using it to test out old stock that hasn't seen the light of day from 'Callow Lane' and the late 'Matford' and newly acquired engines, some of which run like Swiss watches and others that run like dogs! 

Around twenty 16T minerals are required, to be built from Airfix and Parkside kits with the odd Cambrian 'French' version (we like the variety though they probably didn't ever get into the depths of the F.O.D.!).

A similar number of  'Herrings' will be required and RTR 'Dogfish' converted. We've been experimenting with rigid, compensated and sprung wagon chassis and surprisingly the result is that weighted 'rigid' comes out as the most reliable. What with the 'foibles' of my track building I did think that fully sprung and weighted would be the way to go! 

A 'Sutton Models' Class 24 which runs like the aforementioned Swiss watch

20201101_152949.jpg.add3d0e01fd67318859d0f4d1a7e16b0.jpg

20201101_152756.jpg.cd739e322a3902021fc5837dda5f5f5f.jpg

2020916210_20201101_152904(1).jpg.39038251ca282ed918b127285c24e591.jpg

A Welsh visitor.

2059736081_20201101_153242(1).jpg.f6893f62ee6f47c6af9811f80e977294.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

.......with the odd Cambrian 'French' version (we like the variety though they probably didn't ever get into the depths of the F.O.D.!).

Mr Ashworth is your friend here once more in BR Steam in Dean.  

There is a nice shot of 1650 at Blue Rock Tunnel with something French in the consist ;) Behind a RCH 7 plank 'ooden un'. The 16T minerals are referred to as 'tin uns'. 

Hope that helps? 

Mark 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 46444 said:

Mr Ashworth is your friend here once more in BR Steam in Dean.  

There is a nice shot of 1650 at Blue Rock Tunnel with something French in the consist ;) Behind a RCH 7 plank 'ooden un'. The 16T minerals are referred to as 'tin uns'. 

Hope that helps? 

Mark 

Page 45. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

The picture 'legitimises' the use of French and wooden wagons on M.S. 

The Oxford RCH 7 Plank does scrub up well and at a reasonable price... 

Might be worth investigating ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 46444 said:

The Oxford RCH 7 Plank does scrub up well and at a reasonable price... 

Might be worth investigating ;)

It does scrub up well. If you want to make a big four manufactured RCH 7 plank it’s the easiest starting point with the correct side details and easy to remove end stantions.  Some pics of those I’ve done here.
https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2016/04/20/oxfords-wordless-wednesday/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

17 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Interesting, got one of those in my 'to do' pile.

Are you certain about the spelling ?

Pyle is a village and community in Bridgend county borough, Wales. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, PMP said:

It does scrub up well. If you want to make a big four manufactured RCH 7 plank it’s the easiest starting point with the correct side details and easy to remove end stantions.  Some pics of those I’ve done here.
https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2016/04/20/oxfords-wordless-wednesday/

Here's my take on them influenced by Paul's work.. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well folks, we do have a few planked minerals already available from my Callow Lane stock and I'll almost certainly convert my Oxford example to P4 as well, so we can use it on Marsh Sidings.

For the moment, I am currently converting four Heljan Dogfish to P4, for use on 'Marsh Sidings', 'Callow Lane' and (eventually) my 'Travellers Rest'.

These will be joined by some other ballast hoppers I did a few years ago and the current project for both John and myself to each build a rake of Herring.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well folks, we do have a few planked minerals already available from my Callow Lane stock and I'll almost certainly convert my Oxford example to P4 as well, so we can use it on Marsh Sidings.

For the moment, I am currently converting four Heljan Dogfish to P4, for use on 'Marsh Sidings', 'Callow Lane' and (eventually) my 'Travellers Rest'.

These will be joined by some other ballast hoppers I did a few years ago and the current project for both John and myself to each build a rake of Herring.

I'm after some Herring myself. 

It would appear there's problems with the stocks at present.. 

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, 46444 said:

I'm after some Herring myself. 

It would appear there's problems with the stocks at present.. 

If you're referring to the Cambrian Kits Herring, then a polite enquiry through the website might obtain the desired result...

I was after some Dogfish, listed as 'Out of stock', but on enquiring I was able to order the very next day, and the kits arrived 2 days later... top marks!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1