External Route setting with an ECoS via the s88 contact system

gordon s

I playing around with a large mimic panel right now as the ECoS track diagram is too small for me to use. Nothing really wrong with it, but with a complex layout that requires numerous route options the ECoS really isn't suitable. There is no facility to add text or other identifying symbols and you are limited to the number of route buttons that can be added, particularly where you have diagonal tracks.

What I really want is a large mimic/switch panel which I am currently developing using DCC Concepts components.

Reading the ECoS manual it would appear that you can use external sources to actually switch the route. I'm happy to program the route within the ECoS. but would prefer an external switch or push button to select the route from the mimic/switch panel.

Here are the relevant pages from the ECoS manual. Could those in the know take a look and tell me if it's feasible and what I would need to do to get this up and running. Sadly, I'm not an electronics expert, so am now out of my depth....Para 15.1.1.3 and Chapter 22.

Many thanks...

1785705996_Screenshot2020-06-09at16_57_29.png.580d497356d914af109310c43f3fefc1.png 

1494736461_Screenshot2020-06-09at17_01_55.png.e4b59bd3aa74b8c3754fe49171de9e3a.png

Edited by gordon s

As you are going down the route of S88 feedbacks and already have an ECoS why not build an electronic switch panel using software such as iTrain to achieve what you want?

I suggest it will be cheaper than using DCC Concepts components (and easy to alter at a later date)

Thanks Iain, rightly or wrongly, I am where I am and have the DCC Components here on my desk. I’m happy with the mimic panel/switch panel route. It’s just the hope that I can do something to trigger routes via the s88 contact.

Going back to my question, could this be done with a simple push button or switch back into the ECoS?

Hi Gordon. I use the rather nice DCC Concept levers linked time my ECoS via the ESU feedback module. It has 16 inputs and just acts as an electronic switch triggered by the levers. 

I set up routes, bad name really, as it is the key to using external devices in this case. My levers control points and signals. It can do the interlocking as well in the ECoS. 

Of course I still use good old RR&Co but this adds another aspect to controlling the layout. 

22308EDB-22BD-4676-BE8E-75B562F58549.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Sorry TTG, I’m not sure I understand. I have set up routes in my ECoS and they work well. The problem is that each route button in the ECoS display has no identification and I need far more than the system can display. Of course the more route buttons you add to the display, simply adds to the problem of clear identification.

I will continue to set routes at the front end in the ECoS as it it a one off exercise and easily done. What I want is a set of push buttons or switches on an external panel, that can be clearly identified with text etc, then instead of tapping the button symbol in the ECoS track plan display for say route 1, I will have a button on the external panel that will send a signal to the ECoS and perform the same task.

The problem I have is that my through station has over 40 turnouts and is on a U shape. The ECoS plan is small and in a straight line. It is difficult for me to clearly identify which turnout is which and in any case they could be 15’ away and hidden from view. The mimic panel will probably be 1000mm x 600mm and any routes will be clearly lit in green

It’s not clear from your post whether you are using the ECoS to select routes of whether that is done by RR and Co. Perhaps you are not using routes at all and simply use those levers, selecting each turnout in turn.

Apologies if I’m missing something obvious in your system.

Edited by gordon s

Hi Gordon. The levers just change the points and signals. The levers are connected to the ESU feed back unit in the same way you can do the same with S88.

When the lever moves the ECoS sees it as an event. It can be occupancy of track via a reed switch or other method. Please note, the ESU unit is not the current sensing unit, that is far more expensive and used for track circuiting / block occupancy but it can be used in the same way by altering g jumpers on it. 

The term routes in the ECoS is as I have said a bad term to use as it can be used to set a signal, change a point Show occupancy or as it says create a route. In my case I use a ‘route’ that is triggered by an event such as moving one of the levers that fills in one of the dots in one of you picture. So if dot on change a point, if dot goes off move point back. I do this by using two routes, one to move the point straight and one to go left or right as required. 

The photos may help to see what I have done. 

As for RR& Co, the points on the PC monitor move as the levers move but if they are moved when the PC is off then it does get out of synch. For me it’s not an issue as everything g sorts itself out quite quickly if you start to use the levers. 

9E8EB0FE-46DE-4669-89CB-AF20C4E1C165.jpeg

B0B0293F-ECDB-4906-9046-1609CDE28984.jpeg

Many thanks for taking the time to respond, TTG. I've only just seen your reply as RMweb moves so quickly and I missed it the first time round. I have several jobs on the go today/tomorrow, so will try to find some time over the weekend and take on board what you have done and then get back to you once I have understood the process.

This shows sort of the end product of interfacing feed back boxes, levers and signals. 

It was done a while ago to counter what DCC Concepts were preaching which basically sold their Alpha System at inflated prices against what could be done for ECoS users for less. 

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1