Rocoline and Geoline track. Which is the latest product?

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

I know Roco can hardly be described as a "small supplier" but I couldn't find any other place for this.

I can't find a straight answer to a simple question I have, despite searching.

I see references to Rocoline track with bedding and also Geoline track with bedding. My question is which is the more recent/ up to date/ the latest?

I know they are not the same as Roco provide a conversion rail to join the two.  I also believe one has "soft bedding" which I imagine is not hard plastic, but again I don't know which is which.

I also understand that both systems have the same geometry but do they both use the same standards such as flangway widths, back to back requirements, live frogs etc.

Any information that helps answers these questions definitively would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Colin

Rocoline is the older system. It was a very complete geometry with many set track pieces, and flex track. It was available with and without roadbed. The with-roadbed version was designed to take turnout decoders underneath (so as to be hidden). When Roco went bust, a gentleman with intellectual property rights on Rocoline refused to accept the terms being offered by Modelleisenbahn (the resurrected Roco company). So Roco were obliged to create a new track range, Geoline, similar to, but not as complete as, Rocoline. I don't know to what extent the geometries are interoperable. After some years, agreement was reached, and Rocoline has been re-introduced.

• Informative/Useful 1

Maybe this screen shot from roco.cc will answer the question!

image.png.56a5d5ee1e9f82acafb28365290b65ce.png

More importantly, how are Modelleisenbahn (who not only have the Roco branding but also the Fleischmann branding) going to compensate for their discontinuation of the Fleischmann H0 ProfiTrack?

• Thanks 1

I am very much a Roco-Line fan, I think it is quite simply superb!

I've never used the Geo-Line but have handled it occasionally, I didn't like it. For me, it has a much more toy like feel and look and as Mike B. says, is much more limited in scope.

I get mine either secondhand from various sources or new from Lippe. I believe Gaugemaster in the UK do stock a decent range though but for you in Eire, I'm sure the modelbahnshop Lippe is a far better prospect.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

25 minutes ago, Allegheny1600 said:

I am very much a Roco-Line fan, I think it is quite simply superb!

I've never used the Geo-Line but have handled it occasionally, I didn't like it. For me, it has a much more toy like feel and look and as Mike B. says, is much more limited in scope.

I get mine either secondhand from various sources or new from Lippe. I believe Gaugemaster in the UK do stock a decent range though but for you in Eire, I'm sure the modelbahnshop Lippe is a far better prospect.

They should do as they are the UK importers of all things Roco! They also supply to Eire.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...