Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Attending exhibitions - let's put some data behind it.

3 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The article was in The Sunday Telegraph and a week later they printed the fact that it was an April Fool. My father had spent the entire week trying to find out more information as he we a great lover of both Speedway and Stock Car racing and also interested in Trams. 

I've only seen one photo because I've never set foot in Blackpool but apparently there have been a number of coin operated horse racing betting games modified with Trams replacing the horses. I'd like to build one bit don't have a big enough man cave to put it in.

With a single power supply to a Tramodrome (and regerative controllers), one Motorman could trick the others by powering up and braking at the same time so the others would have to open their controllers more, then he knocks his controller closed and the others suddenly find themselves with excess power and accelerating rapidly. Formula 1/e take note....

8 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

April 1st was a Sunday in 1973. Maybe a possibility. 

Before that (and in recent-ish years) it's only 1950, 1956 and 1962 where April 1st fell on a Sunday.

Alan

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Before that (and in recent-ish years) it's only 1950, 1956 and 1962 where April 1st fell on a Sunday.

Alan

1973 is looking odds on! Now all we need is a copy of the colour supplement for that year. 

12 hours ago, 298 said:

I've only seen one photo because I've never set foot in Blackpool but apparently there have been a number of coin operated horse racing betting games modified with Trams replacing the horses. I'd like to build one bit don't have a big enough man cave to put it in.

With a single power supply to a Tramodrome (and regerative controllers), one Motorman could trick the others by powering up and braking at the same time so the others would have to open their controllers more, then he knocks his controller closed and the others suddenly find themselves with excess power and accelerating rapidly. Formula 1/e take note....

Oh but surely that misses the conductor leaning out on curves to stop the tram going over, desperately keeping the trolley on the overhead and sprinkling oil on the adjacent tracks :mellow: 

OTOH drag racing trams could be fun !  They'd surely need Brill Maximum power bogies.  The coin slot horse racing games I remember from Brighton pier were all linear but I think there was a smaller one where the track was a continuous belt  rather than a complete course.  

PS Andy is quite right about the modelling content in Le Train. It does seem to be about half and half. Loco Revue's articles about the big railway are usually related to modelling them and they often pair an article about a particular loco or other verhicle with a review or a construction article based on it. I didn't know about RMF going bi-monthly.

Edited by Pacific231G

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 14:10, phil-b259 said:

The British have always been more individualistic and self centred than most other European societies. We see reflections of this in everything from systems of Governance, the common law system, infrastructure planning, attitudes to house ownership, tax policy, etc. ...

Meant to respond to this earlier, but forgot.

Yes there is a discernable difference, resulting from a more libertarian outlook. It produces slightly different outcomes, one of which is the beneficial - for us - global reach of the English language for science, technology, finance and business. Four hundred years ago, no one would have guessed that the languages of enormous and populous empires (Spanish, Ottoman, Mughal, Chinese) would be displaced as the ubiquitous global language, by the mutterings of a few million from a small island in the Northeast Atlantic.

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 14:10, phil-b259 said:

... a desire to copy the 'success' of the United States...

So unsuccessful a location that every year millions would attempt entry if permitted. Never forget that those that wrote its initial constitution were people who had typically found Britain too restrictive, and set out to create a yet more libertarian society.

None of which is to suggest that either of these societies is superior to others in all respects. There is both upside and downside. Personally I will live with the consequent wayward behaviour as a worthwhile trade for the heartfelt scepticism that those currently exercising power necessarily know best. All the evidence suggests that this is a healthy choice...