009 layout now gone to new home

doilum

"Went"

Built circa 1980 by the late Jack Hepton. 

Has spent most of the last 30 years in loft storage, the last ten years with me. It must go before the builders arrive. I have neither the interest or eyesight to give  it a full restoration but the track looks salvageable and the micro modelling is excellent even by today's standard. It is too good to put in a skip and some of the buildings deserve another life.

There are no controllers or stock but lots of dust!

Total length is 13'9'' with a width of 26".

55x26

2 of 47,x26

16x26

Collection only from Castleford, about 5 mins from J32 of M62.

IMG_20200620_143709.jpg

IMG_20200620_143707.jpg

IMG_20200620_143702.jpg

IMG_20200620_143659.jpg

IMG_20200620_143646.jpg

IMG_20200620_143642.jpg

Edited by doilum
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Richard Scott said:

Is it worth offering to NPRMS, Jack was  a long standing member.

Not sure they need another old layout gathering dust in the chapel loft. But thanks for the reply.

Truly a shame that it may go to waste. Sadly I have no space even though I’m local. Perhaps it may be necessary to offer the buildings and track to someone to try to remove without damage and dispose of the boards? 

1 hour ago, ianmacc said:

Truly a shame that it may go to waste. Sadly I have no space even though I’m local. Perhaps it may be necessary to offer the buildings and track to someone to try to remove without damage and dispose of the boards? 

This is probably the best outcome. There are lots of reusable structures. All need TLC but could be reconfigured into a more compact setting. The boards had already been recycled twice. If any one is interested in salvaging parts I have all the tools on site to assist. At the moment it is sat in the greenhouse on top of my SM32 track.

Oh, that can't go to waste. It looks lovely. I actually really like the faded look. I could make space in my attic, but live 4 hours away and still in full lock down. Hmm, 8 hour round trip... so tempting. Please don't bin it! Someone bring it to life.

2 hours ago, doilum said:

I was hoping that this might reach one of them

I am a member of the 009 Society but much too far away. Have you tried contacting the local area group(s)? I can PM you the email contacts as published in 009 News if you like.

Edit: Just sending you some useful details/links.

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, MARKF1985 said:

She still in one piece?

Very much so. Other domestic projects have dragged and I haven't had a chance to do anything. It really has to go as I would like to have a few live steam sessions before the winter. It would be nice if it went in one lot but if some one wanted to salvage the buildings and details that would be OK. It would make an excellent low cost project for the forthcoming winter lockdown!

1 hour ago, doilum said:

Very much so. Other domestic projects have dragged and I haven't had a chance to do anything. It really has to go as I would like to have a few live steam sessions before the winter. It would be nice if it went in one lot but if some one wanted to salvage the buildings and details that would be OK. It would make an excellent low cost project for the forthcoming winter lockdown!

awesome , i'm just looking into possibility if i can collect it , just sorting logistics

like you said would a great shame to be broken up and would be great to restore it 

we have done this with another 009 layout we picked up a couple of years ago 

any ideas on the wiring and points underneath at all?

5 hours ago, MARKF1985 said:

awesome , i'm just looking into possibility if i can collect it , just sorting logistics

like you said would a great shame to be broken up and would be great to restore it 

we have done this with another 009 layout we picked up a couple of years ago 

any ideas on the wiring and points underneath at all?

In the interests of health and safety it needs a complete rewire. The ,240 and 12 volt wires were totally intertwined often in the same colours!  The points are manual using bicycle spokes as push rods under the board. Please let me know if/ when you can organise transport.

5 hours ago, doilum said:

In the interests of health and safety it needs a complete rewire. The ,240 and 12 volt wires were totally intertwined often in the same colours!  The points are manual using bicycle spokes as push rods under the board. Please let me know if/ when you can organise transport.

Ok thank you , have message you