Leeds to York via Harrogate

Class 170s from Scotrail mostly. An improvement from when it was pretty much anything that was just about moving - often of the Pacer variety. Still a pretty poor service with frequent cancellations and overcrowding. 

can you tell I live locally and use it frequently.....?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, TomJ said:

Class 170s from Scotrail mostly. An improvement from when it was pretty much anything that was just about moving - often of the Pacer variety. Still a pretty poor service with frequent cancellations and overcrowding. 

can you tell I live locally and use it frequently.....?

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply - so no sign of 195's taking up the services?

As far as I know there are no plans to deploy 195s on the route but I don't think there is any practical reason why they couldn't be. You would need to train Harrogate crews on them first and there isn't the capacity in the training system to do that at the moment (it was enough of a challenge getting them all passed on 170s without all the covid complications). Leeds and York sign 195s but not everyone at Leeds and York yet. 

The 170s were designed for sustained 100mph running, not to trundle around the Nidd valley in first gear, the 158s are better suited to that. Hence the poor reliabilty - you can have all the engines working, or all the gearboxes, or all the aircon, but rarely all 9 together. They've been better since they went onto the Leeds/Selby and Sheff/Brid services - fewer stops and less opportunity to overheat.

The actual deployment of units seems to change with each timetable change though - the through services to/from Hull were 155s (traction knowledge again) then stopped, then reinstated. The extra unit which forms the 17.45ish from York was a 150 before covid19 as it was dropped off from a 4 car set earlier in the day, and a four car of anything longer than 150s is too long for half the platforms. I've no idea whats on there at the moment !

• Like 2

On 21/06/2020 at 11:32, Wheatley said:

...The 170s were designed for sustained 100mph running, not to trundle around the Nidd valley in first gear, the 158s are better suited to that. Hence the poor reliabilty - you can have all the engines working, or all the gearboxes, or all the aircon, but rarely all 9 together. They've been better since they went onto the Leeds/Selby and Sheff/Brid services - fewer stops and less opportunity to overheat.

The actual deployment of units seems to change with each timetable change though - the through services to/from Hull were 155s (traction knowledge again) then stopped, then reinstated. The extra unit which forms the 17.45ish from York was a 150 before covid19 as it was dropped off from a 4 car set earlier in the day, and a four car of anything longer than 150s is too long for half the platforms. I've no idea whats on there at the moment !

Thanks for your comprehensive reply! Do you know whether the 158's used are 2-car, 3-car or a mixture?

Whilst my info may be a bit outdated perhaps normally when I go to York station there are 150/1s sometimes parked there. I haven't been there since earlier this year but I would expect this will be before the proliferation of 195s to shuffle things about.

• Like 1