Calder Grove Staithes

This may remain only as a plan, depending on whether or not someone buys my Calder Vale Mineral Railway layout. If it sells then I have the space for a larger version of what is to follow. If not then it's another micro layout. A micro will have to be of the same size as Charlie Strong's scrapyard as it will have to fit in the same space and so the entry/exit roads must be in the same place.

Based loosely on British Oak D.P. it will feature a staithe on a canal, with hopper wagons being discharged into boats (a boat that never moves but has a hole in, through the baseboard, with a container underneath). I've already been experimenting and have come up with a self-discharging hopper wagon, using a Parkside 21t hopper kit and magnets. A smalll loco shed and wagon repair facilities will be all else on there.

Time period variable from the 1950s to the 1980s, by changing stock and road vehicles. OO gauge DCC.

Trains run in, stage right. Loco runs round and propels individual wagons over the staithe (second track down on left). Loco shed lower right, wagon repair above it. RH scenic break is a tall viaduct. The track plan isn't finalised yet.

Staithes1.jpg.a89f22974aa4ba9e8c4628abaf0616b0.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

I've already been experimenting and have come up with a self-discharging hopper wagon, using a Parkside 21t hopper kit and magnets

I made one with sliding hopper doors a few years ago, it worked but they got full of grit in the channel section I'd used and got progressively harder to open over time.

I also found that some of the aggregates didnt flow well - a hopper load of crushed coal stayed put with both doors open once. 00 ballast worked pretty well I seen to recall.

One of those ideas you have where you play with something for a while then get distracted when it doesnt quite work out.

I'll be interested to see how you do it, as I suspect you'll have far more success than I did!

This is how I first dabbled in O gauge well over 40 years ago. My younger brother and I took a 3H wagon chassis and attempted to create opening bottom doors in the style of the Triang 21 tonner. Needles to say it was just technically beyond us at the time and a few years later I settled on opening end doors for my first 7mm layout. Maybe it is time I had another go!

Dave - I think we'd all love to see you build this, ideally the larger version.

Any plans for the Calder Vale to be featured in the 'Modeller' before it moves on?

Edit - assuming it hasn't been already, I don't always buy it, although I do if I see your stuff in it !

Edited by Barclay

10 hours ago, Barclay said:

Dave - I think we'd all love to see you build this, ideally the larger version.

Any plans for the Calder Vale to be featured in the 'Modeller' before it moves on?

Edit - assuming it hasn't been already, I don't always buy it, although I do if I see your stuff in it !

I've sent some words to the editor but it all seems to have got lost in the fog of lockdown.

I might even build the larger than larger version. Ever since I sold all my N gauge stock I've had the layout in the loft doing nothing. I'm never going to use the layout again and I have absolutely no desire to do anything with N gauge, ever. I've got a Master Plan to build an L-shaped 16x8ft end-to-end 4mm layout that also has the ability to be left to run as a roundy-roundy by linking the fiddle yards at either end, by a non-scenic shelf line.

An NCB line that links into BR via exchange sidings, with a line to a canal, just like British Oak was.  Possibly a steel industry connection, off-scene, to allow for running my steelworks locos, too.

• Like 5