DCC concepts Cobalt IP point motor - Analog or Digital?

NoelG

Hi Folks

Looking for recommendations for point motors for a small layout 8-15 points between the following:

• DCC concepts Cobalt IP Analog point motor?
  • DCC concepts Cobalt IP Digital point motor?

I intend to use Cobalt lever frame switches on a sort of virtual signal cabin floor at one side of the layout. Ideally if the point motors could be powered off the track stock rails and switched via DCC, I think there is a DCC concepts product that allows electrical switches life the Cobalt S-Lever frames switch points over DCC rather than having to wire each switch to each point motor. As I understand it the point motor can look after frog polarity switching locally (ie with the usual electro frog mods). I guess the Digital IP will need far less wiring with short local connections only to the stock rails and through those the nearest DCC bus.

Thanks in anticipation?

Layout plan 7 points plus another 6 in a fiddle yard.

Gort1TrackPlan_1a.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Agree 1

I'm more intrigued how a passenger train from Gort is supposed to continue onto Athenry, since it seems that both tracks through the platforms join the southbound line on the double track to the north of the station.

As for your question, I'm assuming if you go with the Analogue versions then you'll need a separate accessory decoder if you want to operate via DCC.

If you only wish to operate the points from the lever frame (Cobalt-S levers) and not from your DCC system’s handset (or console), then DCC Concepts can provide a very simple solution for operating the points by DCC, separate from your DCC system.

This uses their Alpha Sniffer along with the Alpha encoder and point levers, sending signals to the Cobalt iP digital point motors.

• Agree 1

On 20/06/2020 at 20:10, Ron Ron Ron said:

Thanks but I wasn't looking for a 'how to' more a recommendation based on experience in terms of reliability. I heard some negativity about the digital and I suspect it was unjustified.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, NoelG said:

I wasn't looking for a 'how to' more a recommendation based on experience in terms of reliability. I heard some negativity about the digital and I suspect it was unjustified.

Perfectly understood, but in fairness, you did sort of ask a couple of other questions in your OP.

From anecdotal evidence, cobalt motors have occasionally suffered from the odd batch having a number of faulty examples, but DCC Concepts have made modifications over the years and they offer to exchange dud ones.

The motors have been out of stock for a while and I think I remember someone on here saying that they are, or have, now changed their Chinese manufacturer.

I’ve no idea if that’s true or not?

2 hours ago, NoelG said:

So Analog or Digital for reliability?

Mechanically they’re the same motor. Obviously one having the decoder on-board.

The impression I get is that reliability is more to do with faulty batches, rather than whether it’s a digital or analogue version.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

On 22/06/2020 at 10:38, Ron Ron Ron said:

From anecdotal evidence, cobalt motors have occasionally suffered from the odd batch having a number of faulty examples, but DCC Concepts have made modifications over the years and they offer to exchange dud ones.

We strive to improve the product based upon user feedback. (It doesn't always happen immediately, but is taken into consideration when producing the next iteration)  The lifetime warranty only applies to the original purchaser on Cobalt motors (the blue ones) with "fair and proper use". It is not always an exchange - we will repair if we can. We will ask for proof of purchase. Note: the lifetime warranty is only applicable to Cobalt motors - not our other products.

Second hand and motors and those that have been used with incorrect wiring are not covered for example. We even had a motor with a 6mm hole drilled through the casing as a "warranty claim"!

On 22/06/2020 at 10:38, Ron Ron Ron said:

The motors have been out of stock for a while and I think I remember someone on here saying that they are, or have, now changed their Chinese manufacturer.

I’ve no idea if that’s true or not?

Not true - we have not changed factories. We did see a delay due to Covid-19 hitting the factory at a critical point in production.

There have been substantial numbers of Cobalt motors through our hands recently - but all were sold out to pre-orders and dealer back orders.

The same is true of a batch due quite soon, such as been the increased demand as people have had more time to build model railways!

We have already allocated a proportion of the batch after that to pre-sales. Contact our sales team to ensure your supply!

On 22/06/2020 at 10:42, Ron Ron Ron said:

Mechanically they’re the same motor. Obviously one having the decoder on-board.

The impression I get is that reliability is more to do with faulty batches, rather than whether it’s a digital or analogue version.

We did have a part batch of Digital IP with an out of specification component that could sometimes cause a loss of address - that is documented elsewhere on RMweb.

Reliability of the Analog IP is more to do with the use of regulated power supplies.

(It's quite surprising how many people will quite happily spend £100s on new equipment, but insist on using a fifth-hand transformer/rectifier unit from the 1960s that gives out weird and wonderful voltages)

Edited by DCCconcepts
additional info re: warranty
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

At first i loved the idea of motors with built in decoders, however in the long run i wished id have bought the far superior tortoise motors, the sound transmission from the ip digitals even with decent foam ruins everything for me.