Uphill - a GW Branch Line Terminus

My Hornby kit, must have been built sometime back in the 80's, but covered in Faller Brick Paper, instead of the printed sheets that came with the kit. This is now used on my Brislington layout.

image.png.2ca2f1791e1166f709c34f228c2c2ef2.png

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, DKGL said:

My Hornby kit, must have been built sometime back in the 80's, but covered in Faller Brick Paper, instead of the printed sheets that came with the kit. This is now used on my Brislington layout.

image.png.2ca2f1791e1166f709c34f228c2c2ef2.png

Excellent - as @TechnicArrow suggests, it may just be the road side that looks so overscale: to my untrained eye the awning looks just right next to the train.  Also looks like you added skylights over the Gents too: a nice touch (much appreciated by the clientele too, no doubt).  Thanks for sharing, Keith.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've invested my modelling time since Christmas having a go at scratchbuilding a Cakebox model for the revived 2021 competition: Home Depot - a Lockdown Cakebox.  Now that's just about finished, my thoughts are turning to the next project.  I'm afraid I've rather left Uphill  hanging - it meant quite a bit to me personally because of my connections with the area, but changes we've made in our house mean the place I can set up portable layouts now involves carrying everything up and down steep stairs all the way to an attic room, and the space when I get there isn't quite long enough for Uphill with its Fiddle Yard anyway.

I'm exploring doing something in Narrow Gauge instead, as this gives me more compact options while staying in a scale I like for modelling buildings, but this means I won't be progressing Uphill any further.

Nothing is wasted though - this is what I've learned which I hope has been worth sharing:

1. The research I did into "might have been schemes" that led me to start Uphill was very enjoyable and worthwhile.
  2. Seeing the difference I got from modifying Setrack to give a wider sleeper spacing was useful (if less enjoyable!). 
  3. Choosing to use up some oversized ballast I had wasn't a wise decision - the large gaps around the point switchblades looked quite messy (especially in the photos), and is something I'll need to tackle differently in narrow gauge.

So while this train will stop here, another one will be along soon - I'm looking forward to my next modelling day, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3