Station platform widths - mm or inches

Chilly

What would be considered a minimum width for an island platform?

Following on, a minimum width for a single track platform set against a room wall?

Layout is 3 tracks running to terminus station on a 1ft width baseboard. So platform against wall, 2 tracks, island platform then single track furthest from wall.  

Thanks Chilly

• RMweb Gold

I've been building something similar based on an adapted version of Minories. I assume you are modelling in 4mm and my platforms are

- 50mm against the back wall

- 68mm for the island though I do need to ease the track slightly

If i've managed to copy the link here is a shot of station building end. I'm yet to put a back scene in as mainly focusing on the the other side of the layout at the moment. Click on May 10 on the piece below and it has me laying things out.

• Like 1

The layout is per below but i want to skinny down baseboard to one foot width for bottom terminus, hence question.

I think it should work, station will butt up to wall at the end of the 3 tracks.

Station for top as well with another island in the right hand gap

825241558_ChrismontJune2020.jpg.bf574c6f67996218fdf894921abfd00c.jpg

Edited by Chilly
  • Like 1

I'd have thought that was doable.  As Colin has said, the minimum clear space is to be 6' or 24 mm in 4mm scale.  Therefore, you could probably get away with say 30 mm if all you're going to have is some seats / platform lighting columns up against a fence attached to the rear the wall.

The island platform would need to be a minimum of 48 mm, but again, you'd probably be better aiming for around 55 mm so that you can have benches, lighting columns, station name boards etc along the centre.  Obviously any station building will need to be at the end of your bay platform, which may mean shortening it a little, since there isn't the space for a building on your island platform.

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments the current baseboard blue line at the bottom is misleading, the thin part in the middle at the bottom going to the left hand corner is approx 1 ft width (probably more like 11").

I guestimated the island platform width which is perhaps over generous Scarm measurement indicates 88mm from track to track.

The back wall to the track is around 65mm.

The terminus station will be at the end and the track shuffled accordingly along to the left, I think I had allowed around 10cm-15 cm depth for the station on the right end edge unless I could get away with a low relief one if anyone does them.

Chilly

Edited by Chilly

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

As far as I recall the minimum permitted distance from platform edge to any building, wall, pole etc is 6ft which scales at 24mm but that is a minimum and platforms are usually twice that or more.

The minimum has increased to 2 metres so it's 26mm for modern platforms. 

• Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Chilly said:

I guestimated the island platform width which is perhaps over generous Scarm measurement indicates 88mm from track to track.

The back wall to the track is around 65mm.

I'm assuming that these dimensions are to the track centre line.  You'll therefore have to deduct about 19 mm from centre line of the track to edge of platform.  Your island platform therefore becomes approximately 88 - 19 - 19 = 50 mm, which is pretty much the minimum you can get away with for a two sided platform: it's certainly not over generous.

The rear platform is slightly wider at 65 - 19 = 46 mm, which means you can put station furniture in the rear 20 mm or so that is against the wall. 

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

I'm assuming that these dimensions are to the track centre line.  You'll therefore have to deduct about 19 mm from centre line of the track to edge of platform.  Your island platform therefore becomes approximately 88 - 19 - 19 = 50 mm, which is pretty much the minimum you can get away with for a two sided platform: it's certainly not over generous.

The rear platform is slightly wider at 65 - 19 = 46 mm, which means you can put station furniture in the rear 20 mm or so that is against the wall. 

The track measurements are from the track edges on scram so not from the track centre line if I have understood this correct, so it corresponds from the sleeper edge and not the track centre So on Scarm measured from the black lines of the track and not the centre of the grey infill bit of the track drawings above.

Chilly

Edited by Chilly

Its not clear cut.  The Min widths are 6ft and 12 ft for an Island, 24mm and 48mm or 1" and 2" .

However that is with 12mm /  3ft platforms the max allowed.   The coaches as in Mk 1 overhung these platforms as they bulged out at about 3ft 6" or buffer height.

Also some RTR is 10ft / 40mm wide over cylinders at around 3ft / 12mm height.

I would go for 12mm high 24mm min width but 21mm from the track centre line to avoid rubbing.

Mine ae too high, too wide and had to have the edges filed off after fitting.

Structure gauge R2.jpg

Structure gauge R .jpg

Thanks David

Having measured mine from black line to black line of the track on Scarm there is a minimum 80mm distance between them for the island platforms and the bottom one runs at 70mm from the wall to the track, so look to be Ok gap wise and perhaps will require the track moving in a bit to take into account your measurements.

Chilly