4mm Oxford and EFE lorry conversions R/C and 4mm Landrover

Giles

For ten years I have converted and built vehicles to work on layouts in 7mm,  including cranes - and fairly recently had a go at some 4mm ones to see if I could get the same characteristics with these.

For me, the important things are realistic speed and movement - e.g. slow speeds, and good steering, with three-point suspension. I also want clear load beds so the vehicles can be loaded up and used, as I do with the 7mm ones on Denton Brook for instance. This necessitates fitting the battery between the load bed and the chassis. 

So far, I have completed four - two identical Bedford TKs, an Atkinson Bordered Artic, and an ACE Ergomatic, which is a genuine 6 x 4 with twin axle drive.

All use Deltang radio receivers and small Lipo batteries (180 or 220mAh)

50020202517_0e3e2ba5bb_4k.jpg

4mm scale radio controlled lorries by Giles by giles favell, on Flickr

Ergomatic Drive

49997760993_bd508328d8_3k.jpg

2020-06-12_03-15-35 by giles favell, on Flickr

Edited by Giles
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 15

Sadly, the servo are in the way and prevent that! If they were box vans one could but the servo in the back and retain the cab detail but not viable to have with clear load beds. The 7mm versions do though!

• Like 4

I don’t want to think how much time and cost goes into these, as it’s something I would like to have but don’t have the skills.

Some skilled model engineering here!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A 4mm Oxford Models Series II Landrover was bought by accident, and I wanted to see if I could design an axle this narrow (compared to the lorries). It was successful - and then of course the model had to be completed....

50155763711_aa7e7cbbd6_b.jpg

50155207378_88bb8c768f_b.jpg

50155995632_2247c9bc94_b.jpg

Improvements to the basic model included drilling out the headlights and filling with epoxy, and making and fitting a decent wing mirror. 

Edited by Giles
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
On 27/07/2020 at 08:33, Giles said:

A 4mm Oxford Models Series II Landrover was bought by accident

While your skills at RC conversions are in no doubt, just how exactly did you manage to buy a 4mm Land Rover “by accident”?

David

Edited by Kylestrome