Pictures of the Cromford & High Peak Railway

Fascinated me from afar as a boy.

I mean, an engine shed called Sheep Pasture?

And to cap it, the shed directory gave no directions, just an Ordnance Survey map reference. 

• Like 3

Only 52 years?  That means that it had only been closed two years when my family moved up to Derby.  I was fascinated by the remnants that were still visible in the early 1970s; it's actually pretty gutting to know that I missed seeing it in operation by only a short (comparatively, in the hindsight of late middle age) period of time.  I also find it remarkable to think that it was completed only six years after the Stockton and Darlington started operating, especially given the challenging route.  When I was exploring it as a youth I never realised that it had such age to it.  I certainly remember the wrecked wagon in the runaway pit - ISTR reading that the incident had occurred not all that long before closure.  Is the wagon still there?

• RMweb Premium

Once we were driving up the A6 through the valley, I was a small child in the back of the car. My dad said there used to be a railway up the hill on the left and I thought he was making up something very strange, there was no way a railway would ever have gone up a hill like that...

Having cycled up it since I still think it's mad :)

Edited by Reorte
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

You’re original post is John Evans’ collection of photos off Flickr and he also has a very fine book on the line published. There’s a few of us on RMWeb that are a bit obsessed with the C&HPR. AlistairG has an interpretation of Ladmanlow Sidings, Geraint (Middlepeak) is currently building Friden and I’m building Middleton Top here - 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I live just around the corner from Whaley Bridge, really like those pictures.

Thanks, I walked the Whaley Bridge end of the line myself a few years and I remember going across the bridge that's in the pictures. And you might like this pic from the same collection as the above.

Whaley Bridge transit shed (2401)

• Like 4

I retired last year, so It's about time I took a trip to the Cromford & High Peak to walk the trail.

Will the forum please recommend book titles for the C&HPR so I may  study the  history of the line?

Edited by Pandora