Where is this rope worked incline?

ISW

I took the following photograph in late 1982 / early 1983. I 'think' its in the North Derbyshire area, but I have no notes to help identify its location.

Does anyone know where it was taken?

ScanImage-2961_resize.jpg.4187b6bf627a7c7c5150bb0092964286.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

The overhead brake tower reminds me of Corkickle ....... a few miles from Derbyshire !

I was thinking the Corickle at Whitehaven too, but doesn't look industrial/urban enough... the Corickle had at least one level crossing in a housing estate didnt it?

EDIT

There's houses up on the right hand side... the more I look at this, the more I wonder if it actually IS the Corickle; all the pictures of it I've seen were from the top, but maybe from the bottom it looked more rural

Edited by Ben B
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I was thinking the Corickle at Whitehaven too, but doesn't look industrial/urban enough... the Corickle had at least one level crossing in a housing estate didnt it?

EDIT

There's houses up on the right hand side... the more I look at this, the more I wonder if it actually IS the Corickle; all the pictures of it I've seen were from the top, but maybe from the bottom it looked more rural

Thanks to both Ben & 'Wickham'. Now you've got me thinking .... I was working at Windscale (yes, I've stopped 'glowing' already:sarcastichand:) around that time, so something near Whitehaven is entirely possible.

Do you have any other photos for a comparison?

• RMweb Premium

Search flickr.com for Corkickle incline. or Corckickle brake

This is from when the works at the top closed and they were removing the works shunters...

Downhill All The Way

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, newbryford said:

This is from when the works at the top closed and they were removing the works shunters...

Downhill All The Way

Wow!  I'd read they moved the works shunters down by the incline, but I've never seen a pic of it before... Fascinating shot, thanks for linking to it :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Corkickle seems to have had a common centre rail at the top end before the passing place - I wish I'd seen it in action, I'm glad I was on the Hertfordshire Railtours tour that visited Bowes on one of the very last occasions they used the rope worked incline - if I win big on Euromillions I'd probably put a few quid in the Bowes' direction to see that operate again.

I'd like to see photos of the bogie Procter&Gamble tanks going over the top at Corkickle.

and perhaps now is a good time for me to ask - how does one pronounce (correctly) Corkickle ?

Jon

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I looked it up in my Gordon Edgar book "Industrial Railways of Cumbria".  I found a pic here as well, from the top (which seems to be the most often photographed end):

http://www.cumbria-railways.co.uk/gordon02.html

Ben,

Many thanks, that's pinned it down nicely for me. A check of Google Maps and your photo link shows that my photo was taken off the B5345, which is the bridge over the rope way. The place looks unrecognisable now if I use Google Street Map from that bridge!

36 minutes ago, jonhall said:

Corkickle seems to have had a common centre rail at the top end before the passing place  ..........

That's what threw me - my one and only photo ( from 1980 ) is, indeed, from the top and seemed to show too many tracks !

( I bet there were an awful lot of crossed fingers ( etc ) as that six-wheeler went over the kip ! )

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

Downhill All The Way

Brave blokes, especially the one on the left (and also, presumably, the photographer), standing there just as the load came onto the wire...

Mark

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Mr Ford has just put up this image on his Flickr account. Somewhere, I have negs of replacement concrete beams being installed for the under bridge located between the mid sand drag road and the bottom of the passing loop section.

https://flic.kr/p/2jeN76N

P

I've only just found this thread, to save you going to flickr here is my photo of the incline, together with one taken looking the other way at its base.

1209459065_Corkickleincline22ndApril87C8389.jpg.6cc3f9b33dd28e7b0503e291309d4c2d.jpg

Corkickle incline 22nd April 87 C8389

473528933_Corkicklebaseofincline22ndApril87C8390.jpg.28626bb132b1fd02ae68b944a16fa30a.jpg

Corkickle base of incline 22nd April 87 C8390.jpg

David

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I've only just found this thread, to save you going to flickr here is my photo of the incline, together with one taken looking the other way at its base.

1209459065_Corkickleincline22ndApril87C8389.jpg.6cc3f9b33dd28e7b0503e291309d4c2d.jpg

Corkickle incline 22nd April 87 C8389

Just noticed the random check rail near the bottom....

Hi

There was an article about the incline in the Rail Express Modeller Yearbook a few years back (I looked at it the other night after this topic appeared). Apparently at one time there was a siding near the bottom to a brick works, which had it's own winding engine. Could the check rail be the remains of the points to the siding? The bank to the right looks to be fairly recently tipped rubble (no grass/weeds on it); filled in cutting?

EDIT - Just found this photo thanks to Google:-

http://www.cumbria-railways.co.uk/corkicklecharters02.html

Presumably taken from the same bridge.

Andrew

Edited by maudgca
Link to photo added
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting thread. My uncle used to work at Marchon, the works at the top of the incline, and one of his mates was a loco driver on the site. He used to take me on cab rides around the site on those Hunslet shunters. I was pretty young at the time so don’t remember too much about it except that it was great fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maudgca said:

.....  Apparently at one time there was a siding near the bottom to a brick works, which had it's own winding engine. Could the check rail be the remains of the points to the siding? The bank to the right looks to be fairly recently tipped rubble (no grass/weeds on it); filled in cutting? ......

...... Yeah - look carefully at the 1897 photo and you can still see sleeper ends !

• RMweb Gold
On 21/06/2020 at 22:07, jonhall said:

I'd like to see photos of the bogie Procter&Gamble tanks going over the top at Corkickle.

and perhaps now is a good time for me to ask - how does one pronounce (correctly) Corkickle ?

I grew up in Whitehaven and we always pronounced it Cor-kick-ell. Don't think the P&G tanks went up the incline (IIRC they were loaded at St James St).

Cheers Mike

Edited by red death

On 26/06/2020 at 18:02, red death said:

I grew up in Whitehaven and we always pronounced it Cor-kick-ell. Don't think the P&G tanks went up the incline (IIRC they were loaded at St James St).

Cheers Mike

Follow the link on the 4th  post in, it shows tanks on the incline.

1 hour ago, red death said:

Unless I’m being dim (entirely possible!) I don’t see any pictures of the P&G bogie tanks on the incline!

I'm sure I've read somewhere the move to using bogie tankers helped contribute to the abandonment of the incline, as it wouldn't accommodate bogie stock

The P&G bogie tankers as far as i am aware were never used on the incline , being loaded in Corkickle sidings along with the unloading of caustic soda tanks (ICI ) , the wagons that worked over the incline were ICI PEA soda ash wagon , UKF TTA Phosphoric acid , Albright and Wilson PCA tripolyphosphate , Lever Brothers PCA tripolyphosphate , Albright and Wilson TUB Phosphoric acid . There was the use of HTV coal wagons from the local colliery also ( Used also for balanced workings ) I have a plan to make a working model of this location in OO , with a few slight changes.

PS Covhops and Presflos were also used