Lyncombe Vale and Watery Bottom Viaduct

Thank you all for your replies. I must admit I hadn't checked the thread for a while. Also progress on my tiny module has been rather slow but the bridges are almost ready and I'll soon be able to start with the scenery. I suppose next time I'll follow a more traditional approach to baseboard and track laying. That's what you get for ignoring advice from much more experienced modellers.

On 08/08/2020 at 08:24, queensquare said:

Lyncombe Vale is one of the most attractive stretches on the line. Sadly, on my own model of Bath (see link below) space has dictated that I've had to miss it out modelling just the northern portal of Devonshire tunnel and the southern of Combe Down - the twin tunnels becoming just the one.

The pictures below are taken on Paul Stephens layout who has modelled selected scenes on the S&D in 2mm/N gauge.

Jerry, I've been following your thread with great interest. Once I find a little more space and a lot more time my plans for the final layout are actually very similar: Bath Green Park/Midland Station plus a few pieces of scenic section and a colliery or smaller station for added interest. I must admit I've already printed your scale drawings from the SDRT Bulletin even though I'm not even halfway done with my Lyncombe Vale module.

Also thank you for sharing the pictures. Moger's Bridge(s) are instantly recognisable. Though, I'm still not quite sure if I should really believe this is 2mm. The 7F is absolutely stunning. I've had the good fortune to find a small fleet of ready built 7F kits but they don't even get close to the level of detail in your or Paul Stephen's models. They will need a bit more attention to add more details and, most importantly, get them chipped, perhaps even with sound if I manage to find a suitable tender.

On 23/11/2020 at 11:39, SDJR7F88 said:

I've just purchased a load of books on the line to hopefully help me with my research on the section, but they are still yet to arrive, so hopefully you'll be able to help me out with a couple of questions.

1. When was the viaduct (as well as the two tunnels built / completed)

2. Looks at pictures (and seeing the structure during a visit a few years back) it appears to be a real patch work of stone / engineering and red brick. Was the structure originally stone and patch up with brick or the other way around (my guess is the Red Brick sections are patch repairs). 

Callum, the viaduct in its original form dates back to the construction of the Bath extension in 1874. As you've correctly spotted the viaduct has been altered since. Perhaps the most drastic change occured in the 1950s when two more layers of bricks were added to the arches, some of the original stonework was replaced with bricks and the steel reinforcements were added. If you compare photos from e.g. 1954 and the 1960s you see how the shape of the bridge has changed and how the pillars are now flush with the arches.

P.s. I've sent you a PM with a few photos I've collected over the last few months.

For anyone interested in Lyncombe Vale I can recommend The Somerset & Dorset Railway volumes 1 to 3. All three volumes contain some good shots of Lyncombe Vale. Ironically the best view is from the cab of Hymek pulling a demolition train. I got all three volumes on transportvideo.com (no affiliation other than a happy customer) for £3 to £5 each. £13 for three hours is easily the best value for money S&D videos I've seen.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ex Midland 1P 0-4-40T, No. 58072 drifts across Watery Bottom viaduct in Lyncombe Vale, with the morning Binegar to Bath local.

I'd like to say a massive thank you for all the help and images on here. Really pleased with how the viaduct has turn out. Just need to build the layout for it now! Full article on the build will feature in the March 2021 issue of Railway Modeller :)

tmp_1611607719116-01.jpeg

• Like 9