Super Glue White Mist on plastic body - HELP with removal

Not found this exact question on here (but apologies if it is buried somewhere)

I have a Hornby Castle Class with white superglue mist on parts of the body (indeed all of them have mist somewhere, normally around handrail knobs),

One in particular has the side of the cab misted (except for little circles around the rivets, as the workers finger grease didn't touch that!)

What tips for removal? I've just ordered some 99.9% lab alcohol which I could use gently. Or T-cut?

I don't want to damage the underlying paint, nor the varnish if possible, and certainly not the lining. Nameplate less of an issue as she is being renamed.

Has anyone got a technique that works on Hornby body parts.

Thanks Muchly

G-BOAF

OK, the deluxe materials stuff seems interesting.

BUT is the mist actualy glue, or a reaction to finger grease from the fumes (and does that make a difference)?

What it will certainly be useful for is future attempts to dismantle Hornby models for various projects!

Hi G-BOAF.

Super glue remover may remove the bloom, but it will also take off any printed items like lining. I have used it in the past for removing Tampo printed adverts on model buses without affecting the paint underneath.

All the best

Ray

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

OK, the deluxe materials stuff seems interesting.

BUT is the mist actualy glue, or a reaction to finger grease from the fumes (and does that make a difference)?

I have no idea, I wasn’t the messy bu99er who mucked it all up :lol:

As I said be careful with it and test on the paintwork in an area which is not critical/obvious.

• RMweb Premium

10 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I have no idea, I wasn’t the messy bu99er who mucked it all up :lol:

As I said be careful with it and test on the paintwork in an area which is not critical/obvious.

Wasn't me -honest.

I've got "BondLoc" debonder, it's always close by as I am a messy b*gger and tend to get superglue all over my fingers and use it for that.

Works well enough to remove hardened superglue from a kitchen worktop without leaving any trace.

However I haven't used on painted plastic.

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I looked on YouTube to see if anyone on there had any ideas and someone had used Vaseline on fogged clear plastic. It might be worth a try. Rather than trying to remove the superglue (and probably the paint as well) perhaps something oily applied to the fogged area might restore the colour of the paint beneath? 

Could you replicate the fogging on something else not so valuable, say a wagon or a plastic building and then experiment with different substances? 

Please let us know what eventually works. 

On 23/06/2020 at 12:55, boxbrownie said:

Be good to see a before and after piccy 

Just seen this. Of course I didn't take a before pic!

BUT after has made a huge difference. There is still a small bit of misting by the lining so I will try to photograph before I remove that.

99.9% Isopropyl alochol lab grade and a Cotton bud.

Gently rubbing on the affected area in various direction (in order to work around rivet detail. As far as I can tell it is NOT harming printed detail (lining etc) - I started off near the nameplate and no damage. Given the cab will be renumbered any damage to the nameplate was of no consequence so it was a good test.

Thanks everyone for the advice

There is some glue splodging around the cab handrail so I will probably invest in superglue remover to try to sort that. Will report back. But pleased with progress....!