If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

00 Wheels for Bachmann Class 57 sought

Damo666

I recently bought a 2nd-hand Bachmann Class 57/0 (model #32-750) 'Freightliner Explorer' which was converted to either P4 or EM.

I'd like to convert it back to 00 for the moment (at one stage I was considering P4 or EM but I think this is a step too far for my skills / time availability at the moment).

Would anyone have a set that they would be willing to sell / part with?

Thanks

Edited by Damo666
Removed reference to EM, believe it is P4

20 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

If they are the same as a 47 and they are EM I'll swap you?

Assuming they've not got split gears :)

Rgds,

Andy

Thanks Andy for the offer.

I don't have an EM B2B gauge, but my calipers give me a range of between 17.78 to 17.84 (might be the way I'm holding the caliper, not 100% perpendicular to the wheels).

I would have no idea if the Class 47 is the same as the Class 57.

What do you mean by split gears and I'll have a look. I've heard this term before but as it was never an issue for me I don't know what it means.

2020-06-23 10.35.22.jpg

2020-06-23 10.35.39.jpg

2020-06-23 10.35.56.jpg

2020-06-23 10.36.05.jpg

2020-06-23 10.36.13.jpg

Edited by Damo666

By the looks of those measurements they're P4.

So my offer has to be withdrawn I'm afraid.

However, I may still be able to help.

Not sure whose replacement wheels they are from those pics; maybe ultrascale?

If you can (and are able to) remove the wheels from their axles (should be 2mm dia axles) I have some Gibson OO/EM 14mm disc wheels which you could use as replacements. Actual scale diameter of Class 57 wheels is 15mm, but AFAIK no one does a true diameter replacement. Gibson product 4800/6 shows 3'8" which scales out at a shade under 15mm.

If you're not too fussy about true scale fidelity, 14 mm might be close enough?

PM me if you want more info and price.

Rgds,

Andy

On 23/06/2020 at 15:18, leopardml2341 said:

By the looks of those measurements they're P4.

So my offer has to be withdrawn I'm afraid.

However, I may still be able to help.

Not sure whose replacement wheels they are from those pics; maybe ultrascale?

If you can (and are able to) remove the wheels from their axles (should be 2mm dia axles) I have some Gibson OO/EM 14mm disc wheels which you could use as replacements. Actual scale diameter of Class 57 wheels is 15mm, but AFAIK no one does a true diameter replacement. Gibson product 4800/6 shows 3'8" which scales out at a shade under 15mm.

If you're not too fussy about true scale fidelity, 14 mm might be close enough?

PM me if you want more info and price.

Rgds,

Andy

Thanks Andy.

Capture.JPG.9f2288310e5a74a740eab63b205bf7ab.JPG

My calipers shows the axle on the right (closest to the middle of the loco) is 1.98mm.

There are 8 of these rings in a 'spares' bag, and 8 already on the loco (you can see these on the axles with the brass strips). It looks like the previous owner had to make an alteration to the bogie base, for some reason I cannot understand at the moment.

I've struggled to see how to remove the wheels from the bogie. Do I have to remove the body and then the whole bogie from the chassis to access it?

Thanks

Not sure, Bachmann service sheets are available here:

http://service.Bachmann.co.uk/knowledge-base/service-sheets/

But there doesn't seem to be one for a 57 (nor 47 for that matter), but if it's anything like their other diesels there is a barb cast into the end of the bogie over which the frame clips. Can be seen on e.g. class 37 service sheet in link above.

HTH?

• RMweb Gold

no you don' t need to remove the body, simply lever the frame against a wheel (with a rod or small screwdriver between the wheel and the frame) at the rear of the bogie to pop the bogie frame from the bogie itself, its held in with one clip at the rear and two clips at the front, be very careful it can be brittle and you can damage the rear clip.

once the frame is removed the wheels can be pulled from the bogie, the bearings (the round brass things) are an interference fit into the bogie, you should be able to swap directly for the standard wheels

the brass coloured strips are not a part of the original bogie, you can buy standard wheels from Bachmann @ £5 a wheel. 

why has a hole been cut into the bottom of the bogie?

Edited by pheaton

13 hours ago, pheaton said:

why has a hole been cut into the bottom of the bogie?

Good question.

I'm not familiar with the normal power pick-up on the Class 57, so my theories are:

1. It's to enable power pick-up off all 6 wheels / bogie (assuming that originally it was only off 4 wheels). But there is no power pick-up from the outer wheel.

2. It's something to do with spacing the P4 wheels.

1284481940_Class57BachmnBogie(2).jpg.aa09dec32aa35212758374138235f25a.jpg

The central 'T' shaped brass section is held with 2 pins into the bogie side and one pin that passed the whole way through to the other side.

1944620211_Class57BachmnBogie(3).jpg.3682bb25d8227b5fa212af3ca6d05891.jpg

A little bit of blue-tack seems to keep the central pin in place.

Some fine engineering and blue-tack!

Centre of the wheels are non-conductive, so no short circuits.

538823551_Class57BachmnBogie(4).jpg.8ff022d5448e218b7dbdb4bc69cd1c0d.jpg

Nice little bar soldered to the brass pick-up for extra continunity.

1694354117_Class57BachmnBogie(5).jpg.21122aba7011c7cbe5434ae66bd9459b.jpg

1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

Good question.

I'm not familiar with the normal power pick-up on the Class 57, so my theories are:

1. It's to enable power pick-up off all 6 wheels / bogie (assuming that originally it was only off 4 wheels). But there is no power pick-up from the outer wheel.

2. It's something to do with spacing the P4 wheels.

1284481940_Class57BachmnBogie(2).jpg.aa09dec32aa35212758374138235f25a.jpg

The central 'T' shaped brass section is held with 2 pins into the bogie side and one pin that passed the whole way through to the other side.

1944620211_Class57BachmnBogie(3).jpg.3682bb25d8227b5fa212af3ca6d05891.jpg

A little bit of blue-tack seems to keep the central pin in place.

Some fine engineering and blue-tack!

Centre of the wheels are non-conductive, so no short circuits.

538823551_Class57BachmnBogie(4).jpg.8ff022d5448e218b7dbdb4bc69cd1c0d.jpg

Nice little bar soldered to the brass pick-up for extra continunity.

1694354117_Class57BachmnBogie(5).jpg.21122aba7011c7cbe5434ae66bd9459b.jpg

It looks to me as if someone has converted it to a rocking suspension system. The standard Bachmann bogie has three rigid axles which may be a problem with the fine P4 flanges.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Andy, I haven't forgotten.

I've found out that I can re-gauge the P4 wheels which I've done with my 14.5mm b2b.

However it keeps derailing on my Peco code 75 bullhead test track, so either:

* I'm not using the b2b gauge correctly (should it be a tight fit (b2b will not let the wheels fall out when held vertically) or just snug (wheels fall out of the b2b gauge?))

* My test track is problematic. I'll substitute it for a different track code 75 track later.

* The flange on the wheels are too fine a tolerance for my track.

The Bachmann wheels seem to be approx15mm dia with 16.68 overall flange.

The P4 wheels seem to be approx 14.89mm dia with 15.66 overall flange.

I'm suspecting that the ½mm difference in the flange radius may be the problem.

• RMweb Gold

Also bear in mind...its gone from all wheel drive to 1 wheel drive....I bought a cheap 37 that had the same config (I reheeled it back to OO)....yes the wheels look great but you completely compromise the haulage capability of the loco.. because theres no cog on the centre axle it can't transmit drive to the rear axle.

Edited by pheaton
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

Thanks Andy, I haven't forgotten.

I've found out that I can re-gauge the P4 wheels which I've done with my 14.5mm b2b.

However it keeps derailing on my Peco code 75 bullhead test track, so either:

* I'm not using the b2b gauge correctly (should it be a tight fit (b2b will not let the wheels fall out when held vertically) or just snug (wheels fall out of the b2b gauge?))

* My test track is problematic. I'll substitute it for a different track code 75 track later.

* The flange on the wheels are too fine a tolerance for my track.

The Bachmann wheels seem to be approx15mm dia with 16.68 overall flange.

The P4 wheels seem to be approx 14.89mm dia with 15.66 overall flange.

I'm suspecting that the ½mm difference in the flange radius may be the problem.

Its probably a consequence of all those things as well as the whole wheel profile - the flange root/tread shape will be different as well.

Gibson wheels 50p each..... :mosking:

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

Its probably a consequence of all those things as well as the whole wheel profile - the flange root/tread shape will be different as well.

Gibson wheels 50p each..... :mosking:

Another cause could be the overall thickness of the wheel. The P4 wheels are somewhere between 1.95mm and 2.05mm.

The Bachmann RTR wheels are 2.85mm thick

I'm beginning to think I need something closer to the RTR to keep it on my track. Whether it's the flange diameter that is too small on my wheels or the tyre is too thin I don't know.

Do you know what is the overall flange diameter and thickness of your Gibson wheel is?

And is it 50p x 6 or 50p x 12?

Thanks

D

8 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Can measure them later, 50p each wheel, there are no axles.

Hi Andy,

I've checked another Bachmann Class 57 (57007) and the centre axle has a cog.

As my P4 conversion has lost its cog on the centre wheel, I'll be looking to replace the wheelset with a cog.

You've kindly offered some 00 tyres but you don't have axles, so unfortunately I won't be taking you up on your offer. Thank you though for your offer of help, it is appreciated.

I'm still on the hunt.

• Thanks 1