Digitrax Switch (accessory) setting + Cobalt IP Digital

Ewan Forsyth

Hello all,

I am looking to control Cobalt IP Digital's through a Digitrax DB150 command control system, though I am coming across a few issues.

1) How do I set an accessory to a switch number in a digitrax system - I am really finding this difficult to find in the manuals and online.

This is not described - unlike setting a loco address.

2) Setting the Cobalt to this Digitrax switch accessory.

A step-guide beyond that by DCC concepts would be invaluable. Any advice or guidance welcome if related to Digitrax systems and Copalt IP digitals.

• RMweb Gold

I have just installed a Digitrax DS54 (very old and long-superseded) accessory decoder. I only have to press the Switch button on the DT40x/50x throttle for the Switch #1 display to appear, and I use the c and t buttons to throw it. Other Switch numbers only require use of the keypad for that number. How this interfaces with DCC Concepts products I don't know. Have you asked them? They do have an earthly representative on RMweb. 

There are other Digitrax users on RMweb and someone will have cracked this.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ewan Forsyth said:

Hello all,

I am looking to control Cobalt IP Digital's through a Digitrax DB150 command control system, though I am coming across a few issues.

Hi,

I don't use the Digitrax system but I have an idea about how they work.

1) How do I set an accessory to a switch number in a digitrax system - I am really finding this difficult to find in the manuals and online.

This is not described - unlike setting a loco address.

The short answer is that you don't. As @Oldddudders says, to control a point (or switch in American), you press the "Switch" button and then select the address on the keypad and then operate it.

2) Setting the Cobalt to this Digitrax switch accessory.

Let's say you want your Cobalt to have an accessory address of 42. There is a programming switch on the Cobalt that you need to press to put it into programming mode.

Then on your Digitrax throttle you press "Switch", followed by 42 on the keypad, and then operate the point, this will set the Cobalt to address 42, you then press the switch on the Cobalt again to take it out of programmming mode.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John P

• Informative/Useful 1

19 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Let's say you want your Cobalt to have an accessory address of 42. There is a programming switch on the Cobalt that you need to press to put it into programming mode.

Then on your Digitrax throttle you press "Switch", followed by 42 on the keypad, and then operate the point, this will set the Cobalt to address 42, you then press the switch on the Cobalt again to take it out of programmming mode.

Hi jpendle, 

This is exactly how I assumed it would work. However it does not set the motor to that 'switch' number. 

A contact with Digitrax results in a "no comment" as 3rd part hardware. We shall see if they will help an say whether switches are programmable.

Thanks

E

I have managed to work out how to do this using a Digitrax DB150.

1) Power off - wire Digital IP DCC in with DCC BUS

2) Power on (RUN mode) - 

3) (SET mode) SWCH - Select ## - push C (once)

4) Turn to (RUN mode)

(Repeat as per DCC concept instructions)

5) Use t/c to change point motor

Oddity that this was not working previously. I think it is due to keys in DT400 when selecting t/c was pushing 10/11 thus changing the set number

15 hours ago, Ewan Forsyth said:

I have managed to work out how to do this using a Digitrax DB150.

1) Power off - wire Digital IP DCC in with DCC BUS

2) Power on (RUN mode) - 

3) (SET mode) SWCH - Select ## - push C (once)

4) Turn to (RUN mode)

(Repeat as per DCC concept instructions)

5) Use t/c to change point motor

Oddity that this was not working previously. I think it is due to keys in DT400 when selecting t/c was pushing 10/11 thus changing the set number

Hi Ewan

We hope our email to you yesterday was helpful in sorting out your addressing issues.

To reiterate addressing of a Cobalt Digital IP motor with any DCC system. (And a few other bits and pieces)

(The same addressing procedure applies to AD and ADS decoders, as well as the CBSS surface mount)

Connect the motor to the main DCC output of your system. Do not use the program track output.

Flick the switch (next to the terminal block) to SET - that is away from the body of the motor.

Select accessory control on your system and enter the number you require the motor to be.

Send a "change point command" for that number (see below)

The motor will not move.  

Repeat the change point command to ensure the signal has been sent - it does not matter if it is left or right.

Flick the switch back to RUN

The motor should now obey the normal change commands.

Note - special address commands.These only apply to the Digital IP and not the older Digital)

Using the above procedure:

197 will reverse the operation of direction.

198 will disable auto centre.

199 will enable auto centre.

Auto centre at power up is a useful feature to pre-centre the motors - say when you are re-installing them in another location.

They will do a left/right/centre shuffle and then await a normal move command.

Auto centre is disabled for current production (and has been for the past 30 months or so). 

Motors are delivered in the central position from new with address #1 and auto-centre disabled - there is no requirement to carry out a 198 command.

(However - our "quick and dirty way to re-centre the motors is to command them to move as normal and then pull power halfway across - no need to use 199 or 198 to cancel afterwards!)

You can carry out any of the above commands on multiple motors at the same time.

Using 197-199 does not overwrite the original address.

And there is no reset of CVs for the Digital motor - there are no CVs to reset!

The only variable is the address via the SET/RUN switch.

From above - using a DCC system to send the point command - a few examples.

With NCE - it's a 1 or 2 after entering the number via the SELECT ACCY key

Hornby Elite - use the two large buttons for direction after selecting the accessory number

Digitrax - "t" and "c" using the SWITCH to select accessories

Roco Z21 and other screen based systems - you will have to configure the point and give it an address in track configuration mode. Then operate the point on the screen - making sure the icon changes left/right.

With our own ALpha Central - use the relevant pair of buttons that you want to "pair" with the motor.

Roco Z21 (and a couple of other European systems can use an offset of 4 with accessory addressing - RCN213 mode - this normally isn't a problem, as far as the motor is concerned it has seen a valid address - even though it has an offset. It may be that you have to use 201-203 for the special address commands to work. Or select RCN-213 addresing in the setup of your system.

Turn Railcom off for addressing - the Railcom pulse can affect the procedure.

Also note with Digitrax, we sometimes see irregular programming as the DCC waveform has a slightly rounded leading edge - this can be made worse if there is a lot of equipment connected to the DCC bus. The solution is to address the motors with nothing else connected to the DCC bus. Then they will work perfectly OK when the bus is reconnected to other equipment

Please note - any technical queries can be answered via the contact from/email on our website

• 2 months later...

If you have to switch off Railcom when programming it would intermate that the decoder is not NMRA compliant. Railcom does not induce a 'pulse' in to the DCC data stream but just blanks 4 preamble bits from the preamble data stream so should no effect effect the decoders operation.

Michael

Edited by Ardmay

On 14/09/2020 at 09:58, Ardmay said:

If you have to switch off Railcom when programming it would intermate that the decoder is not NMRA compliant. Railcom does not induce a 'pulse' in to the DCC data stream but just blanks 4 preamble bits from the preamble data stream so should no effect effect the decoders operation.

Michael

Railcom is optional in the NMRA standard and many US designed decoders do not support it. I use NCE Switch 8's for point motor control, and I have to disable Railcom on my Z21 for them to work.

Regards,

John P

On 14/09/2020 at 16:58, Ardmay said:

If you have to switch off Railcom when programming it would intermate that the decoder is not NMRA compliant.

Not quite:

Switching RailCom off for programming does not intimate that it is not NMRA compliant.

Even ESU recommend turning off RailCom under certain circumstances.

21.5.3.1 RailCom Functions
Activating the RailCom feedback:
With this function the RailCom® feedback can be switched on
and off. For programming older SwitchPilot decoders it might
be useful to switch the RailCom® feedback off. If you do not
use a RailCom-capable decoder you should switch the RailCom
function off to avoid problems.

The Cobalt Digital Ip is not RailCom capable - but it is NMRA compliant.

Once addressed, the Cobalt Digital Ip has no problem operating with RailCom enabled.

Best Regards

The DCCconcepts Team

On 23/09/2020 at 15:46, DCCconcepts said:

Not quite:

Switching RailCom off for programming does not intimate that it is not NMRA compliant.

All Railcom does is take away 4 preamble bits out of the DCC signal and place the data in that position. If the command station supplies enough bits the decoders shouldn't even be working in that area. The ESU statement talks about older decoders which are possibly not compliant.

Michael

• Like 1