British Rail Class 86 underframes and buffers

Hey!

I'm on the lookout for anyone who can provide more information on the different underframe arrangements of the British Rail Class 86. I think one side has the compressors and it's that specific area that I am looking out for information on. From images I seem to think there's 2-3 different types of arrangements. Are they specific to certain sub-classes or was it all at random? Images of the underframe parts below:-

https://images.hattons.co.uk/products/8650_3456282_Qty1_cat2.jpg

https://images.hattons.co.uk/products/8603_20753_Qty1_1.jpg

Secondly I am looking for detailed images and detailed/rough dimensions of the Class 86's buffers.

With the success of our Class 90 detailing kit, we're looking to make detailing kits for other Hornby and Lima models, the Class 86 is up first.

TIA

Hayley

Re the compressor side. 

I think all bar 86/1 are the same;  as built with two compressors and as subsequently modified with one compressor removed and the resultant empty compressor shelf.  The programme to remove the second compressor started before renumbering as there are a few early 1970s pictures about of E numbered examples with and without the second compressor.  Post renumbering all had a single compressor.  As an aside it is remarkable how many times late 1960s/early 1970s photographers contrived to photograph the exhauster side of pre-renumbering examples.

86/1 has a single compressor and the weak field case is in the position occupied by the empty compressor shelf on the others.

Edited by DY444
  • Informative/Useful 1

If you can access Model Railway Constructor Planbook 3 "BR Electric Locomotives in 4mm Scale" by R.S. Carter, it has side elevations of 86/0, 86/1, 86/2 and 86/3 all depicting the 'A' (corridor) side under which the compressors were sited.

Brian Morrison's "Power of the AC Electrics" also carries line drawings but beware as the line drawing for 86.101 shows it with an underframe layout more akin to the 86/2s. The caption states "86101 in the condition that it was to be seen in 1978 after naming" even though on the very next page is a side on photograph of the same loco in 1979 with an identical under frame as that shown in the first mentioned volume (to confuse matters further the drawings are all by R S Carter!).

The following link is normally quite useful in identifying components but it makes no mention of the differences between the various Class 86 sub-classes.

http://www.locodocs.co.uk/brmanuals/AC-GeneralParticularsDrivingandOperatingProcedureDefects-1-part1.htm

From the above it would appear the two compressors, main and auxiliary, were arranged so that on initial start up the auxiliary (powered from the battery) provided pressure to activate the air blast circuit breaker and raise the pantograph after which the main took over (presumably on the removal of the auxiliary, the main took over both functions drawing power first from the battery before being switched to run on mains).

I've measured the buffers as depicted on the drawings and they come in at 7.5mm (22.5").

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m pretty sure that at some point 86/1 equipment was changed during service as well, what is under 86101 now is not the same as it was during the 80s

I can’t remember the difference but I know I needed to be careful with reference photos when building my 86/1 model 

Andi

On 23/06/2020 at 12:04, Dagworth said:

I’m pretty sure that at some point 86/1 equipment was changed during service as well, what is under 86101 now is not the same as it was during the 80s

I can’t remember the difference but I know I needed to be careful with reference photos when building my 86/1 model 

Andi

Here's an image of the under frame as it was purported to be in 1979 showing the same side as above - not a lot of difference unless I'm missing something obvious?

86101 1979.jpg

Edited by SP Steve
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, SP Steve said:

Here's an image of the under frame as it was purported to be in 1979 showing the same side as above - not a lot of difference unless I'm missing something obvious?

86101 1979.jpg

Right hand box, in this photo has a handle at each end, now it has 4 grills 

86101-66781-745-peterborough-maint-shed-

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you everyone for you replies. Certainly been most helpful.

And all the talk about 86101 has made me decide to do a conversion kit for it as well. I'll do one for the Hornby Class 86. I've got a Heljan Class 86 on pre-order, if they do a good job of it, I'll keep my pre-order and design a conversion kit for the Heljan Class 86 as well.

Thanks a ton gentlemen.