Evercreech Turntable and North Yard

• RMweb Gold

Members of the Kent and Essex Area group of the 2mm scale Association are building a model of Evercreech Junction. The station area at Evercreech is well covered with photographs but pictures of the two yards and turntable area - particularly the north yard adjacent to the branch, are very thin on the ground. If anyone could point me in the direction of pictures or share them here I would love to see them.

many thanks in advance,

Jerry

The Middleton Press book  'Bournemouth to Evercreech Junction' has on plate 114  a view I've not seen before of what might be called the loco stabling area in the junction between the 2 lines.  Its not the north yard but there is a fair amount of detail here that you may still find useful if your layout is stretching as far as the north yard.  Dated 11.9.57

This book is one of a series of 3.  The other 2 are Bath to Evercreech Junction, and Burnham to Evercreech Junction.  I'm away from home at the moment and don't have them with me. They may have other useful photos, but I dont know at the moment. These books do however sometimes have the more unusual views, eg the above. 

Also 'The Colour of Steam Vol 2' 'The Somerset & Dorset Line' by RC Riley published by Atlantic Transport Publishers has a photo dated 6.7.59 of the actual junction area taken from well north of the station I think. No page numbers here unfortunately.

Do you have Brian Macdermott's book, 'The Modellers & Enthusiasts Guide to The Somerset & Dorset Line'

Page 70 has a good photo of the Junction with the north yard in the distance.

Peter.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Thanks, it is an interesting thread with many excellent photographs but is about Templecombe, not Evercreech.

Jerry

Dont know why i read your post as Templecombe. I might need glasses.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jerry,

Book Law's Somerset &Dorset Remembered Part 2 has a great colour photo of the turntable in use with a St. Cl.4 2-6-0 being turned on p.20. Pages 18 to 24 cover the Northern end of Evercreech Jcn which may be of some use.

Also some nice clean colour shots in Michael Welch's S&D Sunset p.53-60, with a good view looking Northwards down the junction minus any trains but showing the track and signal layout to good effect on p.59....good luck with all of the telegraph wires !

Will look steadily through other publications and report anything worthwhile.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added or corrected.
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

A few more of particular interest :

p.36 of Colin Maggs's Last Years of the S&D has another good photo of the turntable area this time without any locos in the way and so shows the shunters huts and lamp room.

Also by Mr. Maggs, S&D Life on the Bath to Bournemouth Line, p.46 & 47, including a shot from the North Junction signal box showing the loco serving pit and another from within the 'North' sidings (those between the Junction and station.)

p.56 to 65 in Splendour of the S&D Railway (Alan & Christine Hammond) all taken around Evercreech Jcn with one view (p.59) looking towards the entrance into the North sidings.

2 useful views in Ivo Peters collections taken in 1953 (depends which versions you have.)

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The October 2012 Hornby Magazine had an Evercreech Junction layout featured by a friend of mine in OO. This had photos of the model's North Yard. The late Eric Rimmer took extensive photos of Evercreech Junction and the photos are now held by the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust and they include photos of the turntable.

Edited by geoffers