Hornby Collett 4000g tender hight difference

G-BOAF

I have a collection of Castle and Kings (in various stages of usability/conversion).

Recently noticed that the collett 4000g tenders were about half a mm higher at the front than the rear. The rear lines up exactly with the hawskworth tenders, but the front is higher.

Anyone know a fix for this? I have dismanted one tender to check the wheels are in their lugs properly and they are, and I can't see any difference in hight of the wheel lugs below the chassis base plate. I need to explore further, but if anyone has solved this problem already, I would be happy to hear.

Poor illustration below. Gap between running plate and ruler is harger on left (front) end than right (rear)

20200623_113959.jpg.acb264c91fc8298207b059f5272abe08.jpg

Body seems to be seated correctly on the chassis, so it's not that - often is I've found.

How are the wheels positioned - is there a separate mounting for them?

I agree that many tenders, and particularly the Hornby A3 / A4 tenders don't appear to align properly - chassis line, tender roof / cab roof.

Many explain it away as a locomotive 'running light on water' .... which is possible, but still don't like it.

Al.

Height (from bottom of flanges to running plate)

Front of tender 20mm

Rear of tender 19mm...

I have dismanted the tender a while back,, and from what I recall the lugs the wheels site in are part of the main chassis moulding, in which case something tooled wrong (and duplicated on the King tooling....) (but I may be wrong, in which case it is probably a case of unscrewing and removing some flash)

Not the best pics due to light now and the fact I only have my Leatherman to hand (and a castle tender rather than a King as easier to get my hands on)

20200623_181155.jpg

20200623_181233.jpg