Heljan Class 33 motor

Triumph1050

Hi people, so while running my new EWS class 33 for a week and a bit, it started to misbehave at mid range speed setting. (7-8 from 28 speed steps) above and below these settings it seem to work OK. However todays session when I handled the loco, the body felt warm. Long story short whipped the body shell off, lifted PCB out of the way, felt the motors metal casing and it was to hot to the touch. So question do I have problem with the motor or the ESUloksound5 decoder? Cheers Peter

Edited by Triumph1050

5 hours ago, Triumph1050 said:

... So question do I have problem with the motor or the ESUloksound5 decoder?

No way of knowing at this point, and the problem cause may be 'neither of the above'.

Test it on DC without a decoder in circuit, give it 12V and from the maximum speed achieved see how far it coasts on a  straight and level piece of track when the power is disconnected (not 'turned down'). If the whole mechanism is free running it should coast about 4 feet, smoothly coming to a halt. If it doesn't, then another potential cause of your heating motor could be a tight gear train or two.

Heljan's BoBo mechanisms are typically fine smooth runners, so if diagnosis proves difficult, I'd go for a replacement from the retailer: likelihood is you will get a much better performer.

Thanks for the reply.

As I got two new 33s, what I did today is swap around the motors and the problem went with the motor, so replacement motor hopefully will be on its way and I'm sending this motor back to the retailer who will send it back to Heljan. Have to say I do seem to get my share of motor problems, even my Bachmanns have had a few motor swaps. At least they have spares, unlike Heljan.

Edited by Triumph1050