World of Railways Virtual Exhibition 4/5 July 2020

AY Mod

• Administrators

Weekend line-up announced!!

We've unveiled key participants at our virtual model railway exhibition this weekend, see below headline content! Remember, they'll be plenty more than the below, expect something new to appear every 15 minutes!

Saturday

• We go behind the scenes at Locomotion Museum
  • Footplate Models gives us an update on their exclusive OO gauge Salmon wagon project
  • Recreate Etwall platform shelter with Howard Leader
  • Phil Parker starts his layout build, with baseboard construction, laying track, fitting point motors, wiring and ballasting.
  • We chat to Tim Dunn, presenter of The Architecture the Railways Built
  • Go to the US with expert modeller, Graham Nicholas
  • Take a tour of Traction magazine Editor, Stephen Rabone's layout
  • KR Models makes an exclusive announcement
  • Dave Skertchly gives us a tour of The Vale of Weedol
  • We speak to Bachmann about its latest model developments
  • Get practical advice from expert modeller, Jamie Warne
  • We pay a visit to Market Deeping to see 'Woodcroft' rebuilt
  • The MRC chats to Simon Kohler
  • We take a look at some pictures and videos of real trains in action from steam and diesel eras
  • Paul Appleton, from the Hornby Collectors Club, speaks to Howard Smith
  • Take a tour of a new layout from Laurie Calvert
  • We talk all things 'tech' with DCC Concepts

Sunday

• We speak to Pendon Museum as they emerge from lockdown
  • Clive Baker gives us a tour of his layout, Little Burton
  • The second part of Phil Parker's layout build, with practical videos on creating a quayside wall, modelling water, build a Wills Halt kit, scratch-build a goods shed, and more 
  • Laurie Calvert gives us a tour of his second new layout creation
  • We take a look at some pictures and videos of real trains in action from steam and diesel eras
  • The MRC speaks to Carol Flavin of The Loco Ladies from Channel 5's The Great Model Railway Challenge
  • We take a tour of Team Grantham's completed final layout from The Great Model Railway Challenge
  • Jamie Warne provides us with some expert construction advice
  • Phil and Andy roam around Highley station on the Severn Valley Railway
  • The MRC chats to Dapol about life in lockdown
  • Howard Smith talks to John Gymer of Youchoos
  • Tony Wright offers up some practical advice when building locomotives
  • We interview model railway YouTuber Jenny Kirk
  • Andy York provides us with some top photography tips
  • Giles Favell talks us through a Radio Controlled Bedford TK conversion in 4mm scale
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Early entrants can now get in and see the layouts before the news and features start - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/virtual-exhibitions/virtual-exhibition-2020

Thanks to all the layout owners for 'attending' the weekend and they even get chance to have a real lie in. Shows just wouldn't be shows without these guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Page loadings are a bit slow (10-20 secs) but that system is obviously under far more pressure than usual. Please be patient, the pages will eventually load.

• Like 4

• Moderators

Jamie Warne was 'feline' interrupted when he was trying to do a video for us which will be shown tomorrow afternoon.

• Funny 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I know it's early days but what are your thoughts on the format of the 'show'?

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/virtual-exhibitions/virtual-exhibition-2020

Yeah, that's clever Andy - ask for feedback in a closed topic. :biggrin_mini2:

Now moved so it can be replied to.

• Funny 1

• Moderators
Just now, Watto1990 said:

That spot the difference was infuriating! 

:biggrin_mini2:

I don't like to insult people's intelligence by making 'em easy.

• RMweb Gold

I'm up to 12 on spot the difference and my best guess, for the weight, is 742 tonnes - in full scale!

Luv'in it...

Kev.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Yeah, that's clever Andy - ask for feedback in a closed topic. :biggrin_mini2:

Now moved so it can be replied to.

Glad I wasn't missing something!

A very nice selection of content, and it's handy to be able to access it at whatever time and in whatever order. The layout interviews and demonstrator videos in particular are great -- thanks to all for organising it. :happy_mini:

Adam

Edited by Calidore
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thoroughly enjoying the layouts and the highlight so far is Phil’s interview with Tim Dunn. Great series on tv and his massive enthusiasm without having to play it daft for questions, very well pitched. I do hope there’s another series but one thing you missed! What’s the story behind the superb large scale HST behind him, is it one of the old promo models or a recreation? :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks so much to all of you at BRM for putting it on; there's been a huge amount of work behind the scenes for all involved. I've also spent the best part of a week getting stuff ready, filming, and editing (I'm still editing the last video as we speak, which I hope to be ready by tomorrow morning!). That's not to say I haven't enjoyed it, and it's genuinely been really fun to be a part of; just as it was for the virtual SWAG do. And if anyone has any questions to direct at me about any of my videos from the event, please do so!

From the little I've had time to see, it looks like a fantastic show, and well laid out on the website, by the way. My only worry is that I'll miss a lot of the content, so my question is this (and apologies if it's been mentioned somewhere):

Will this be available on the WoR website for a while after the weekend?

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Will this be available on the WoR website for a while after the weekend?

We'll tell you after the weekend. ;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoying the layouts so far, just watched Phil’s interview with Tim Dunn which I thought was really good and just shows how good a program can be when its done by someone with massive enthusiasm for the subject.

I don't know if it was just me, but has Phil's lockdown haircut started to go full Mohican!!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Andy 53B said:

has Phil's lockdown haircut started to go full Mohican!!

It was probably the day he did static grass on his project build.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Really liking the virtual show so far

Finding the spot the difference infuriating. I've found 14 out of 15. Whats the closing time/date for it as it says 4pm for the brake van question

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Thoroughly enjoying the layouts and the highlight so far is Phil’s interview with Tim Dunn. Great series on tv and his massive enthusiasm without having to play it daft for questions, very well pitched. I do hope there’s another series but one thing you missed! What’s the story behind the superb large scale HST behind him, is it one of the old promo models or a recreation? :) 

It's a promo model from travel agents. We had a bit of a chat about these before the interview as I own 2 APT promo models. Both of us appeared to have curated the shelves in shot with special trains.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It was probably the day he did static grass on his project build.

He’s probably doing his own like me, 5 mins trimming it thinking you’re done, then half an hour trimming off the tufts because you look like the spawn of a demonic squirrel . . .

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

It's a promo model from travel agents. We had a bit of a chat about these before the interview as I own 2 APT promo models. Both of us appeared to have curated the shelves in shot with special trains.

Thanks Phil, I noticed the same locos appearing behind you in both your slots ;) 

Another spot the difference opportunity :lol: