World of Railways Virtual Exhibition 4/5 July 2020

AY Mod

Many thanks to all for a very entertaining two days. The quality of each of the layouts on display was outstanding and particularly enjoyable as many of them were new to me. Also somewhat depressing seeing such wonderful skills on show and knowing you may never achieve anything close to such high standards.....;)

Note re spot the difference. Read the blooming' instructions. Thought I'd cracked it with 15 and then realised an hour or so later you needed 20.....Only problem then was I had 21....:D

Anyone else find 21 or is my eyesight up the Swannee......

• Funny 1

Hello

Thanks to Andy and every-one else involved in this wonderful event. We are now home safe and well and looking forward to putting our feet up. The Wrecking Crew and I look  forward to seeing you all in the real world sometime.

Cheers

George        

• Like 1

Totally enjoyable over the past couple of days and I especially enjoyed the interviews / video contributions posted.

May I congratulate all involved for bringing this to us in such awkward times.

G

Thank you to everyone involved in the production of the virtual exhibition. In my opinion it was a fantastic success, something for absolutely everyone interested in the hobby or interested in getting into the hobby. The weekend long event has certainly brought some inspirational layouts and ideas to everyone and best still some layouts that would never be seen on the exhibition  circuit. 

Thank you again to everyone involved as it has been a monumental success.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, t-b-g said:

Just got to pack the layout up for the long drive home now.....

Hi Tony

Having seen Leighton Buzzard a few times at exhibitions It was wonderful to finally see the big layout Buckingham working and I thought your exhibition stand  was very well put together. I think the only clips of it working I'd seen before were from BBC Bristol's 1980 Small World programme in 1980 (some reused in Timeshift's "Joy of Trainsets")

For me that was the star layout but there were plenty of others and I feel inspired by Phil's twelve step programme for building a layout (though I can't now find part 1) . Very good interviews and other features- not all of which I've got round to watching yet.

So, huge congratulations and thanks to Andy, the whole exhibtion team and exhibitors for pulling this weekend off. It wasn't just very well done; it was also very imaginatively done so give yourselves a huge pat on the pat.

(I  did hear though that door receipts weren't too good with most visitors sneaking in without paying and I didn't get any cake) 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Well done everyone involved. A great exhibition, layouts, interviews, news etc and without having to fly to GB then quarantine for two weeks on my return.

PS spend the entrance fee money wisely lol ;)

Edited by Colin_McLeod
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I've enjoyed this over the past couple of day, thanks to all those who put it on. Those spot the differences were evil. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Repeating what others have said, but it still needs to be said;

Thanks to Andy and the BRM team for the organisation.  Thanks to the layout owners for allowing us to see their layouts.  Thanks to the other contributors who allowed themselves to be interviewed and who shared their view and expertise with us.

Thanks to all.

• Like 1

This showed everyone adapting to circumstances and did so really well!

It also gave a chance to test such a delivery method... and it was surprisingly rewarding.

I particularly liked the idea of giving videos to show all stages of building up a layout which will hopefully give people something to follow when trying this for the first time, be they young children or, more elderly people.

It was also good to hear from a number of manufacturers and I have to admit, KR Models announcing two more experimental locos was especially of interest to me.

A great series of videos, selection of layouts and all round entertainment for a weekend in these difficult times and one which will I am sure has raised many people's spirits.. as it did mine.  Superbly put together and congratulations to all involved and coming up with the idea.

Oh, and at least there wasn't a long journey home at the end :)

Cheers,

Ixion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Likewise thanks to Andy, Phil and the BRM team and all of the contributors and exhibitors very interesting content all round. I was playing catch-up a bit watching the YouTube videos on both days sat at my modelling table with my headphones watching with interest.

Cheers Paul

• Thanks 1

Good show, thanks for putting it on.

A question if I may, about Phil's visit to Outwell? Of great interest to me as local, and the wife come from just down the road at Welney. In fact she went to Upwell school, which backed on to the line, and saw it running.

Phil seemed to visit the vicarage, with what looked like a small museum exhibit. Was this a special demo, or is it for real? I thought the vicarage was for sale?

Stewart

• Moderators
11 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Good show, thanks for putting it on.

A question if I may, about Phil's visit to Outwell? 

Phil seemed to visit the vicarage, with what looked like a small museum exhibit. Was this a special demo, or is it for real? I thought the vicarage was for sale?

Yes, we went to the vicarage in Emneth which is now a private residence and, yes, it is for sale.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72800230.html

It's not a museum but we were in the Reverend's actual study with plenty of model railway items.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

To echo the comments here, huge thanks to all of the BRM team and anyone else involved in the production of the virtual exhibition. A thoroughly enjoyable and interesting 2 days of content which has gone a long way to filling the void! 

cheers,

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, t-b-g said:

The old trainset is already home and back up in the shed, as if by magic.

It was magic to see it and hear some of the stories behind it too. It holds up so well today and I hadn’t really realised before how sophisticated the controls were for now let alone when it was built. 
Thoroughly enjoyed them all but Buckingham was fascinating as a story too. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Whilst I commented upon the most enjoyable video content I do have to say I'm slightly concerned about Phil's obsession with cow dung ! :o

Highley detailed !!!

• Funny 1

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, bgman said:

Whilst I commented upon the most enjoyable video content I do have to say I'm slightly concerned about Phil's obsession with cow dung ! :o

Highley detailed !!!

I used to work for the Ministry of Agriculture, first in cow testing and then in cow killing departments (don't worry, it was admin, I didn't get to use the bolt gun, although I was in charge of euthanasia stocks) so I am of course, an expert. (Insert bull***t joke here).

There was supposed to be an article on manure wagons to go with the Highley piece, but it got dropped. Maybe one day if everyone writes in demanding one! :P

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to Andy and his team for a great event.  I am part of the  team that built Hope - under - Dinmore  and it was a surprise to see it as a part of the event. I only found  out by accident  and no one in our team had been informed it was going to be included, perhaps something to consider for future undertakings.  What was really great was that the article used was the original one we  submitted , not the hatched job that was done on the original (nothing to do with Andy by the way)  without any consultation with us.  So again well done Andy and team and I loved the Sepia recreation. on one of the photos.

Untitled.jpg.24880b7ec65a604ac041bbc76f7e7a90.jpg

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, kipford said:

I only found  out by accident  and no one in our team had been informed it was going to be included, perhaps something to consider for future undertakings

Sorry Dave, this only became evident very late on in proceedings as I'd communicated with Duncan as he'd submitted the original text. Your observation that it included what was abbreviated from the mag article originally is the very reason why I wanted to include it, especially the source information for the marvellous locos. Apologies for any unintended surprises!

• Agree 1

The whole thing was great, and thanks to everyone for all the work and organisation involved in setting it up.  

Sadly, I only found 18 differences on the second 'spot the difference' photo, before giving up because it was messing with my head. :(

• Funny 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, jonny777 said:

Sadly, I only found 18 differences on the second 'spot the difference' photo, before giving up because it was messing with my head.

Sorry! :blush:

Which two did you miss?

Spot_the_difference_Worlds_End_answers.jpg