World of Railways Virtual Exhibition 4/5 July 2020

AY Mod

• Moderators

If you 'visited' the show over the weekend I would like to impose upon on you all and ask if you could complete the anonymous survey so we can better understand what sort of content people enjoyed (or not!).

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeGrxWo_bzBt2K4__APgbL5Dg9G6Gr1evtSJ9fheoOZWLlttQ/viewform

Thanks to all who do so!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sorry! :blush:

Which two did you miss?

Spot_the_difference_Worlds_End_answers.jpg

Now I can see how I got 21....:-)

I saw the loco nameplate had disappeared and the branding moved backwards as two separate things. I can see now the branding has obscured the nameplate.

At least I can get some sleep now....:D

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yep thanks for this guys .  As it was the first time the family could meet up and in Scotland travel 5 miles I didn't see much on Saturday but dipped into the various highlights yesterday . Great idea and a job well done . Thanks for all the effort you put in.  Actually I came back much less knackered than I usually do from an exhibition , and I haven't spent a penny ......Result!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I really liked Phil's layout build, although I seemed to miss several sections - ballasting track for one.  Will the series be available for repeat viewing at some stage ?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I really liked Phil's layout build, although I seemed to miss several sections - ballasting track for one. 

For now, it seems all the videos from Phil's layout build are on the highlight section of the WoR website:
https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/wor/virtual-exhibition-highlights/day-2/?Query=&CategoryId=315
Obviously I can't answer how long they'll be on there, but the videos are easy to digest and get through in a short amount of time. I certainly enjoyed following along!

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
23 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I really liked Phil's layout build, although I seemed to miss several sections - ballasting track for one.  Will the series be available for repeat viewing at some stage ?

I'm going to create a Furness Quay page with all of them on so people can (hopefully) enjoy the set for many years to come. I'm not chucking all that work away for just a weekend!

• Like 12

Call me a bit slow, and I realise it was not strictly part of the virtual exhibits, but one of the videos I really liked was Pendon with hydraulics. I had never seen that before. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

I realise it was not strictly part of the virtual exhibits

That was because I was 'on duty' a bit early yesterday and popped a couple of extras up to while away a few minutes. :)

• Like 2

It was a nice addition to the day and the Pendon videos one of my favourites of the day.

Some very positive thinking going on behind the scenes which I certainly hope will pay dividends in years to come.

G

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the hard work put in to make a great weekend.

I have just done the survey, but was dispappointed not to be able to select Graham Foulston's Lakeside as he was missing from the layout feature list! 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, beejack said:

dispappointed not to be able to select Graham Foulston's Lakeside as he was missing from the layout feature list! 

Sorry, that was because it was an 'extra' rather than a full layout feature. It was impressively done though!

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the show this weekend.

thanks very much from all of us (it was a family thing at times).

Now your warmed up, can we have a Virtual Warley next please ?

:yes:

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Really enjoyed the show this weekend.

thanks very much from all of us (it was a family thing at times).

Now your warmed up, can we have a Virtual Warley next please ?

:yes:

Brilliant idea!

I second that

:mocking_mini:

• Funny 1

• Moderators

Thank you to all most people who took part in the survey. I have closed it now as there was enough data to show what sort of features people enjoyed. It was evident it had run its course when some of the comments in the last question either miss the point entirely, are wholly unrealistic or just offensive. It's not that we just want to hear positives but some comments were just ridiculous, impossible and showed a complete lack of common sense.

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Hi,  hope its OK for me to add my thoughts.  Working and caring for two folk meant I had very little time to watch the show. From the bits I saw it was excellent and clearly a huge amount of work had gone in to making it.  So really I was disappointed that I was able to see so little of it - that’s just the way life goes sometimes.  From skimming through it there was nothing I would have not enjoyed watching and there are many sections I would have liked to watch in full.  Hopefully the content will be available to watch again for quite some time - perhaps on the subscribers DVD. So a big thanks from me to everyone from putting the event together.

It is really dissapointing to read the end of the previous post - everyone should be grateful for the work many people put in to give us a whole weekend of free model railway entertainment.  Offensive and stupid comments only deter good people from putting on similar event is future.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Hopefully the content will be available to watch again for quite some time

Thanks Colin, you should be able to access the layouts and highlights for the rest of this week.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

also have to say I enjoyed Jamies' Blooper video...

Thank you, Stu! I could have made it a bit longer given that I had 5 days of footage, but I think I picked the funniest moments; the rest was just me swearing at the sun as it blinded me!

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

...some of the comments in the last question either miss the point entirely, are wholly unrealistic or just offensive.

Sorry to hear that some are intent of spoiling it for the rest of us; such is the way of the anonymity of the internet, I guess!
As I've said previously, the amount of effort that goes into putting on an event like this is immense; I don't think anyone can truly appreciate it if you haven't had to do something similar yourself.

My only "problems" with the event were that:

1. I was too busy making content to watch everything
  2. I have no photos to add to my report on the event; as it was a virtual show!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, this was very much like a "normal show" for me - I couldn't help but buy something!

I have just received a new toolbox and tools, from Severn Models, in the best packaged parcel I've had since I got my last 24 from SLW.

(I clicked on a link in one of the WoR Emails, and liked what I saw.)

Kev.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have just had another look at the article on Buckingham and I was very pleased to see that it was my original text and not the heavily "edited" version which appeared in the magazine in 2018. The photos are much better on the screen too. I always thought the printed version was rather too dark and didn't do the colours on the layout justice.

So many thanks Andy for giving the opportunity to see the text and photos in that version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just finished writing up my thoughts from the event.

It's a little on the long side; and that's even after an effort to condense it to only 5 of my personal favourite layout appearances...

Reflecting on the World of Railways Virtual Exhibition

Now I had better get on and finish the farm diorama article ready for the September edition of BRM!

• Like 2