Triang L1 4-4-0

Prometheus

L1, original release 1960

With smoke option from 1961

Lord of the Isles released with smoke option in 1961.

(Not 1962, I blame my dodgy memory...I'm almost as old as the loco...the model one! ;) )

Later versions, after 1963, no smoke option.

The Synchrosmoke units introduced in 1964 couldn't be fitted to the L1, or LOTI, amongst others...

Edited by Sarahagain
correction of release date of LOTI loco to 1961

Appearing in the Tri-ang catalogue (in January) was not a guarantee of early release.

Prior to the release of the HD Castle, R-T-R locomotives from the 'big 3' were of LMS or LNER origin (unless you count the TTR EMU or N2s in fake liveries). (The original HD had a strong LNER bias and even the BR standard 4MT was allocated to Glasgow). GWR enthusiasts felt rather left out.

6 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Appearing in the Tri-ang catalogue (in January) was not a guarantee of early release.

I am aware of that, but it does show that it definitely came after the L1. I will check through some old 1961/62 mags for release announcements though.

Done.

There is a review of the model in the August 1961 Model Railway News, so it's pretty safe to say the model was available during 1961.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Thanks 1

On 25/06/2020 at 13:20, Silverfox17 said:

I think it was lined green from when it was first introduced in the early 60's, I never saw an unlined one available.  I bought mine while still at school which I left in 67. 

Garry 

Yes the triang model was lined green but no real L1s ever had Br green.

• Agree 1

On 27/06/2020 at 10:01, Il Grifone said:

At the time of its introduction, there had been a campaign concerning the lack of Southern models - we got an EMu and the L1 from Tri-ang, an R1, a rebuilt WC and an LMR EMU numbered as SR (the SR version was longer), and a 'Schools' from Trix (only a few examples of this exist as it was very approximate).

A previous campaign concerning the GWR gave us the HD Castle and the Trix 56xx. Tri-ang ignored it until later, but gave us the Dean single and their rather pathetic 'Hall'

Trix E2 and Tri-ang BoB/WC as well? Or was that a little later on?

David

55 minutes ago, David_Belcher said:

Pretty sure with a change of tender to a 'Chatham' type and different coupling rods (plain not fluted??) you can tweak the L1 to be an E1 or D1 instead? 

David

The L1, E1 and D1 had different coupled wheelbases'

L1 = 10'

E1 = 9'6"

D1 = 9'

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, David_Belcher said:

Trix E2 and Tri-ang BoB/WC as well? Or was that a little later on?

David

These two appeared in the early sixties (1962?). The Trix E2 looks severely undernourished even allowing for her 1:80 scale. Tri-ang's WC/BoB has body shape issues.

Tweaking the L1 to the D1 or E1 would be no worse than what(Tri-ang) Hornby did with to produce a 2P!

The Kitmaster kits were introduced about the same time (1959 IIRC). Their range included a 'Schools' and a 'Spamcan'. A 'USA' tank was planned, but never released.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 10:01, Il Grifone said:

At the time of its introduction, there had been a campaign concerning the lack of Southern models - we got an EMu and the L1 from Tri-ang, an R1, a rebuilt WC and an LMR EMU numbered as SR (the SR version was longer), and a 'Schools' from Trix (only a few examples of this exist as it was very approximate).

A previous campaign concerning the GWR gave us the HD Castle and the Trix 56xx. Tri-ang ignored it until later, but gave us the Dean single and their rather pathetic 'Hall'

We also had the Trix Southern 0-6-0t, was it an e or E1? Plastic body with fine wheels. I had one many years ago.

Oops, just read through nd found it was an E2!

Edited by roythebus

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2020 at 13:26, Silverfox17 said:

They could have done one in bright red and yellow as the Andy Capp version that went to Blackpool. 

On 25/06/2020 at 14:08, wainwright1 said:

Forgot say, I think that the Andy Cap loco was a Midland Compound.

No doubt someone will confirm.

Still a possibility for a model though, quite authentic if a little short lived.

On 25/06/2020 at 16:27, kevinlms said:

Indeed it was a 2P.

LMS Standard Compound No. (4)1101.

• 9 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’ve just bought an L1 (for £40), which is on its way to me, and after some googling for more info on the model I came across this. I’m not planning on carrying out a similar detailing and repainting job as Prometheus, I just like to get some old classics serviced and running nicely again. According to the eBay description the steps are broken, so a bit of styrene and micro strip should sort that.

Prometheus - I thought I’d post this reply as I used to be a member of SRMG myself - although it wasn’t for long and it was a few years ago now.

I hope the club gets back up and running soon.

Regards,

Josh

Edited by josh_will
Spelling

Josh, I'm very much hoping that we will be open again late June / early July - or whenever the advice is given that such activities may recommence. You'd be most welcome to drop in then if you are around.

Keep your L1 progress posted!

Tony

17 hours ago, josh_will said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’ve just bought an L1 (for £40), which is on its way to me, and after some googling for more info on the model I came across this. I’m not planning on carrying out a similar detailing and repainting job as Prometheus, I just like to get some old classics serviced and running nicely again. According to the eBay description the steps are broken, so a bit of styrene and micro strip should sort that.

Prometheus - I thought I’d post this reply as I used to be a member of SRMG myself - although it wasn’t for long and it was a few years ago now.

I hope the club gets back up and running soon.

Regards,

Josh

Hi Josh.

I have several of these.

I would check the back of the cab as well. These have a tendency to split across the footplate area. Strengthening with a strip of metal glued across with epoxy would probably be good. Then a coat of matt black. It is not very visible when the tender is coupled up, especially if you add a drop plate.

All the best

Ray

• Agree 1