Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What are these?

More " where are these" queries:

Ive attached  four old photographs from my collection.  I don't know  what  they are or  where  they are - but I have a feeling they may be Irish - possibly Northern Counties Committee?

Ive numbered them up  for ease of discussion.

No.16 is on Postcard   format marked "W Clarke 79 Princes Avenue, London N13" and also "photo by H C Casserley".

No.17 is also on postcard  format but with nothing to indicate  source  etc.

No.18 a a straightforward darkroom photograph - but has  the number "49" pencilled on the back.

No 709 is also a straightforward darkroom photograph. It has no markings on the back.

unknown 16.jpg

unknown 17.jpg

img709.jpg

unknown 18 2.jpg

17 is an ex Highland Railway Castle class in LMS days since it appears to have a shed plate on the smokebox door. These plates were introduced on the Northern Division in 1935. The coaches look like ex Midland Railway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

16 is on the Waterford and Tramore Railway. Either No.1 built 1855 by W Fairbairn & Co. - 1925 to GSR as No.483 - withdrawn 1936, or No.2 - built 1855 by W Fairbairn & Co. - 1925 to GSR as No.484 - withdrawn 1928.

709 is one of the NCC Moguls (class W) introduced in 1933. 

18 is possibly GNRI? 

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Could number 18 be just south of Magheramorne on the line between Whitehead and Larne?

Cheers

Darius

I must admit that I wondered that too but it is a very long time since I last travelled that way.

Thank you to Caley739, NeilHB, Long John Silver, Darius43  and becasse (again)!

I thought  that No.17 might be scottish (judging by the  wheel and lever arrangement on the smokebox door).

I guess the W mogul is the tender version of the WT 4MT tank?  (I'm learning my Irish stuff)!

No. 18 certainly looks like a 4-4-0 - but what about the number (66?) on the  buffer beam?

Photo 18 has been bugging me since you posted it, I'm sure I'd seen it before. I've been looking in some of my reference books and found a near identical shot on page 181 of Norman Johnston's book on GNR(I) locomotives. The loco is definitely a "U" 4-4-0 renumbered 66 by the UTA, and the photo was taken on the Warrenpoint branch and was dated July 1963. I'm as sure as I can be it's the same train.

Stay safe 

Jon

Hello Long John Silver

I obviously got hung up on the number 66 - not realising that,  when the UTA took over half the GNR(I) U class locos they renumbered former No 201 "Meath" as number 66.  So this is an  engine from the second Beyer Peacock built batch (of 1947/48) withdrawn in 1965.  

Let me try to get  this straight: The  warrenpoint  branch ran from Goraghwood to Warrenpoint via Newry?  Internet information is confusing and possibly contradictory.   Was this a Dublin and Belfast Junction Railway line?  I read that it was closed in 1965 (if so that's presumeably why No 66   was withdrawn then) - but I think Newry still has a train station?

Hello Carlwebus,

The Newry to Warrenpoint section was the Newry, Warrenpoint and Rostrevor Railway, the Goraghwood to Newry section was part of the Newry and Enniskillen Railway, later the Newry and Armagh. The two lines existed separately until a link line was built between the two Newry stations.

Both railways were absorbed into the GNR, but not at the same time. I’m not an expert on the GNR(I) and I’m sure that others that are could fill in the details. All information has been gleaned from Edward Patterson’s book on the GNR(I).

The current station on the Belfast – Dublin line replaces the old Bessbrook station that was the mainline station for Newry.

Most of the surviving GNR(I) locos went for scrap in 1965, the closure of the Warrenpoint line and the Derry Road, from Portadown meant that there was little need for steam, and the few non-dieselised services were worked by ex NCC 2-6-4T.

Assuming the train is the same as the one in the photo in Norman Johnston’s book, it is a through train to Belfast from Warrenpoint; there were a number of daily through trains on the branch.

I hope this info is of interest, I’m no expert on Irish railways, but I do find them fascinating, particularly the GNR(I).

Thank you (again) Long John Silver.

I agree:  the whole Irish steam railway scene is totally fascinating and absorbing.

I am much indebted for your help and information.

Best wishes