Eriam Steuerwagen

MOB 2002

I stumbled across the Eriam N gauge SBB DZt steuerwagen (or driving trailer in British parlance) the other evening.

http://www.eriam.ch/catalogue/catalogue_page1.html

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any reference to one on a Swiss layout in the UK, despite the diverse rolling stock collections most people have. 

SBB driving trailers are something of a rarity from the established N scale brands, (although the Piko BDt is of course on its way to our shores soon) so I’m surprised there hasn’t been a bit of demand for such a thing from a smaller supplier.

Does anyone have any experience of the Eriam DZt ... or any other Eriam carriages for that matter? They also do a Seetalbahn balconied bogie carriage.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, MOB 2002 said:

I stumbled across the Eriam N gauge SBB DZt steuerwagen (or driving trailer in British parlance) the other evening.

http://www.eriam.ch/catalogue/catalogue_page1.html

I don’t think I’ve ever seen any reference to one on a Swiss layout in the UK, despite the diverse rolling stock collections most people have. 

SBB driving trailers are something of a rarity from the established N scale brands, (although the Piko BDt is of course on its way to our shores soon) so I’m surprised there hasn’t been a bit of demand for such a thing from a smaller supplier.

Does anyone have any experience of the Eriam DZt ... or any other Eriam carriages for that matter? They also do a Seetalbahn balconied bogie carriage.

Mark

I have a few bits and think they are the items you mention. They are very crude, similar to the Piko of East German origin.

im out at the moment but will have a look and post some pictures.

Regards

Robert

• Like 1

Here’s some pictures of what ive got. Three Seetal coaches and the DZt.

ive had them some time. The biggest issue,which is easy to rectify is the pizza cutter wheels.The markings on the DZt are poor and the coupling spring system seems a bit iffy.

regards

Robert

6655576F-FE2F-49AF-88D5-3D3A5C223BA3.jpeg.f48636c1065f3c130b4c4e27572024ac.jpeg2756ABE5-8D6C-45DA-9302-21CEE1B90604.jpeg.92f9d6b6136cf4d66238a21846b4c7e0.jpeg07C5CB71-219A-4DF4-8AC9-FF472867A297.jpeg.3b9a5500350d7e990ebc567681c156bf.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Robert!

The wheels really are horrendous, but that’s an easy thing to rectify I suppose.

Wheels aside I suppose the DZt might look alright alongside the Lima/Minibahn EW I ... although even they (along with most green era SBB stock in N scale) seem to be getting quite scarce at the moment.

Mark

The driving trailer in the link looks to have better lettering than mine but mine is quite old, probably had it 15 years. It’s not a cheap model, looking at your link,SF95 for a model without any lights or nem pockets or close coupling mechanism. (That’s if it’s the same as mine) I’ve seen the Lima/Minitrains coaches at exhibitions from time to time but always the ones I don’t want! If they’re cheap and they usually are I buy them anyway.

Robert

I bought a DZt way back in 1983 or 1985 on a visit to Interlaken when I was modelling in N gauge. Apart from the wheels it also ran a bit on the high side. This is fairly easy to remedy by removing material from the bogie pivot, can't remember now if it was on the bogie itself or on the body moulding.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

I’ve had the Dzt for about 15 years now, I wanted the version with the red front but I’ve never seen one for sale. Mine has a green front and the “new” logo, which is nicely printed. It does ride a bit high compared to the Lima EWI and EWII but if you look at photos of the real thing they do have a higher body side, although a shallower roof, so it’s not entirely unrealistic. 

I found the bogies on mine were brittle, managed to snap the side off one of them while changing the wheels (as others have remarked, flanges much too big), so mine now runs on Lima bogies, which just click into place. 

keith

• Informative/Useful 1

The solution with the Lima bogies seems like a good one. BLS EW I seem to be in much lower demand so I think sourcing an extra set should be a doddle.

I guess I’m going to have to brush up on my French (which hasn’t proved successful with my attempts to land an RBe4/4 from a Swiss model shop so far) and try to get one ordered ... unless there’s anyone here looking to part with one for good money that is!:laugh_mini2:

Mark

• RMweb Premium

If you do put Lima bogies on, you might need to shave the top of the coupling holder on the rear one so as to provide enough up and down play at the bottom of a slope. With the front one I removed the coupling and installed it backwards (coupling box facing inwards). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That works pretty well together. 

I suppose the issue that only Brawa have really succeeded with so far, is accurately modelling the lower edge of the door. On a real EWI and EWII the bogie, door and step arrangement is very tightly packed together, which would almost certainly never work with model railway curvature. 

The compromise that Lima and Eriam have means that there’s only so much you can do. But, like you, I’m happy to accept the compromise rather than leave a major part of Swiss railway character out of the mix entirely.

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The saga continues ...

Eriam appear to suggest they take orders directly, but I’ve had no response to emails.

Has anyone had experience of ordering from Roundhouse in Olten? It looks like they stock a lot of Eriam items, but their website isn’t the easiest to navigate.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark,

I ordered a Liliput BLS Mutz unit from Roundhouse back in 2014, when they were still in Zurich. I contacted them by email in English and German, their reply was in German. When the availability and price of the unit were confirmed, I emailed my name and address exactly as associated with my payment card, then telephoned to tell them the card number (in German). They may be more capable of direct electronic payments these days, but I also wouldn't be surprised if things are still the same.

The transaction went fine. Note that with Switzerland outside the EU (and UK still operating single market rules for a couple more months), you will need to budget for UK VAT and Royal Mail's VAT collection fee if your parcel value is over the requisite limit and the parcel is selected for investigation at customs. This is unfortunately applicable even though Switzerland is within an EU Economic Trading agreement - it doesn't cover posted parcels.

If you do use Roundhouse, come back and tell us how it went!

• Like 1