3D printed spiral staircase and more

one of my favourite designs for 3D printing is my design for a spiral staircase. Not something that can be produced in one piece in any traditional way. It was based on a real example in Accrinton market hall, and had 14 steps. Notsure if this is standard as most model I have seen only have 12 which is a lot easier to calculate!

Some small issues with Shapeways recently, so I thought it was time to redesign the model, which would also allow me to alter height and number of steps.

I then wondered if I could developa modular system for bigger scales. I set standard height to orespond to 9ft floor to floor, and only 12 steps, so it would divide up easier, Then things got more complex and I wonderd if I could then do a straigt staircase in sections and a walkway system to link them all.

This modularsystem woud only be practical for larger scales. Smallest I recon would be 1/24th scale, with another at 1/19th(16mm/ft), 1/12th  and 1/6th scale. I started with the biggest one . Having noticed that many of the diorama type pieces for 1/6th scale were pretty expensive I thought 3D printing would be reasonable, especially as not much would be required to fll a small diorama. I have seen small stone type step modules priced at over £130 from China on ebay!

It is very much a work in progress, and currently module system is only on display, and I have done the spiral staircase and straight staircase.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/Buildings_and_Furniture/buildings-modular-stairs.htm

I have started on the walkway sections, and plan to do straights and curves, as well as curved steps, with bigger radii, so they can go round outside or inside of builds(eg lighthouse)

Certainly makes a change from railway carriages!

And yes I do know people who have built narrow gauge in 1/6th scale. Not sure if I should upsize some of my narrow gauge models now!

On 23/06/2020 at 20:52, rue_d_etropal said:

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/Buildings_and_Furniture/buildings-modular-stairs.htm

I have started on the walkway sections, and plan to do straights and curves, as well as curved steps, with bigger radii, so they can go round outside or inside of builds(eg lighthouse)

Lighthouse steps would be interesting as they taper as you go up. So the radius reduces.  Effectively each step is on a slightly smaller radius compared to the step below.

6 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Lighthouse steps would be interesting as they taper as you go up. So the radius reduces.  Effectively each step is on a slightly smaller radius compared to the step below.

had not thought of that. would be more complex to do, and I think just having curved non tapered steps would suit most people. Just not sure about radius.

I wonder how much the radius changes as it goes up a light house, as it might be possible bend steps in slightly .