Lion and Kestrel - Share same wheelset?

leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Depends which parts you need.

The side frames on Lion are slightly different (speedo, wheel guards, steps etc they aren't the same ).

Kestrel used the Heljan class 47 bogie, like the real thing.

i’d imagine you could use it, Heljan tend to use standard components and similar designs. The difference internally will be the shaft length between motor and gearbox.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for responding, it was the actual wheelsets I was querying. Wondering if the wheel and axle diameter and final drive gear (on the axles) were the same i.e. could ones from Lion be dropped into Kestrel and vv?

Anyhow, the opportunity I was considering has passed so a bit of a moot point now unless anyone else is interested......

Hi Andy, just looked at mine and measured , the wheel size , bogie axle spacing are all the same on the kestrel, lion and 47, ....so common rail production as you could say, and therefore no drive shaft differences.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Just in case of interest, it was possible to put Heljan;s class 26/27 wheelsets in that DMU parcel car thing to give the mechanism 'coach diameter' wheelsets (power unit for a BG).

But......

The DMU parcel car (TOPS Class 128) was built on long frames (64' ish) whereas a BG is short framed at 57' ish.

21 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

But......

The DMU parcel car (TOPS Class 128) was built on long frames (64' ish) whereas a BG is short framed at 57' ish.

That's a BR BG, an LNER BG can be on up to 61'6" frames, with nicely high up windows concealing what's inside. Minimal adjustments to reposition the bogie centres and trim the ends.

• Agree 1