Passenger trains of 1970’s/80’s had the S&D remained open.

• RMweb Gold

I was having a discussion with a few friends about the S&D and what type of passenger trains would been run had the line remained open until the 1970’s and 80’s, before sprinterisation.

I thought the most likely trains would have been Bristol based DMU’s or Eastleigh based Class 205 “Thumpers”.  Not sure if loco hauled trains would have run and if they had, most likely motive power and number of carriages in the formation?  I’d like to think it would be a Class 31 or 33 with five coaches.

Over to you guys :laugh_mini::laugh_mini::laugh_mini:

10 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

I would expect it to have been ran on similar lines to Transpennine services out of Newcastle/Scarborough to Liverpool or even some Intercity dmu’s living  on borrowed time!

The WR would probably have used former Suburban units of the 116/117 or 118 varieties, as they did on the Barnstaple line and elsewhere.

• Like 1

I would agree on a combination of Bristol based DMUs for the northern end, Eastleigh DEMUs for the southern end, with a minimum of through workings.

If it had survived until the late 1970s then the through workings would be taken over by class 31s then class 33s.

Class 108 DMUs which arrived late to the WR would have worked then have worked some local services in the north.

cheers   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Maybe some cross country units like 119 and 120?

Id have thought 33 and 31s maybe with some Mk1s , maybe some Mk2s creeping in .  Any freight primarily 31s , maybe a 25?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the Southern DEMU fleet was aready fully utilised at that time, so the southern section services would probably have been Class 33 hauled.  For the northern section, given the trials in 1959 were unsuccessful due to the hilly nature of the route, which WR DMU classes would have been appropriate?  I would expect the classes used on the WR route to Weymouth would have worked.  Any Bristol-Bournemouth services that survived would probably have been worked from the Bristol end with Class 31s.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, petethemole said:

I think the Southern DEMU fleet was aready fully utilised at that time, so the southern section services would probably have been Class 33 hauled.  For the northern section, given the trials in 1959 were unsuccessful due to the hilly nature of the route, which WR DMU classes would have been appropriate?  I would expect the classes used on the WR route to Weymouth would have worked.  Any Bristol-Bournemouth services that survived would probably have been worked from the Bristol end with Class 31s.

What were the 1959 trials?

I know a number of DMU's worked over the line on specials but was not aware of any other workings

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

What were the 1959 trials?

I know a number of DMU's worked over the line on specials but was not aware of any other workings

Mentioned in the Wikipedia article on the S&DJR but without a reference.  I can't find a reference in my old copy of Athill and I've mislaid my 'Locomotives of the S&DJR'.  This may be an example of a Wiki error?

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if the Class 35 “Hymek’s” could have been used over the route in the late 60’s, early 70’s instead of 31’s and 33’s?

Given the reversal required at Bath Green Park, I would agree that DMUs such as Classes 119/120 might have been more likely. Perhaps with the route reduced to a basic railway too, with a single platform remaining at Green Park ?

• Like 1