W M Collectables

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Premium

Just a heads up about a, new to me,  trader I came across mentioned over in the D&S thread, in small suppliers.

W M Collectables, a supplier of loads of second hand, but new, kits.

Very happy to have placed an order with Andrew on Monday evening, after hours, and I now have them in my greasy mitts today Wednesday.

http://www.wmcollectables.co.uk/

Cheers

IMG_20200624_133526931.jpg

• Like 4

Last couple of big shows I went to cost me a fair bit. A 5-coach rake of GER bogie coaches at the first, followed by AGER E4 whitemetal kit. Things I've been on the lookout for and in my mind money well spent.

That completed my stud of locos for the Cambridge area collection, not a small stud by any stretch of the imagination!

Stewart

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Something I forgot to mention in the WM Collectables conversation in the D&S thread (and much better that the conversation continues here, rather than there):

The original collector of all these kits was a banker, and an accountant by training.  Each time he bought a kit, he opened the packaging, meticulously checked the contents and, if there was anything missing, he contacted the manufacturer and organised replacement parts which would then be added to the kit.  Some of the kits you buy will still have his check list in them, or his verification slip that the kit is complete!  One or two kits that were checked by the owner and found to be incomplete he never managed to obtain replacements for but he left a note to that effect in the packaging.  Where that's the case, the WM Collectables description reflects it. 

The original owner of this vast collection of kits is apparently still alive and is delighted that the kits are being fed back into the market to be built and appreciated by enthusiastic modellers.

Pete T.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

The Stephen Poole E4 kit I bought certainly had his checklist, along with turned brass chimney variants to supplement the original whitemetal one. Also a brass smokebox door handle , along with a Nucast brass chassis. Shame there is nothing for the front pony wheel though - does anyone know if bits should be in either the SP or NuC kits? Looks like I shall have to cobble something up.

Stewart

• Like 3

W M Collectables has quite a number of interesting items from yesteryear from looking at his stand at exhibitions over the years and are a regular trader at my club's (Erith MRS) shows for many years.

Andrew is a interesting person, as his father served in the Free Polish Legion in WWII and understandably did not want to return to Poland, which as we all know became a Soviet satellite state, after the war.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Curious. I've had a few and none have had notes. Some have still been sealed.

Oh heavens, I should have known, shouldn't I?  I'm sitting here laughing at my own stupidity in stating something like that on RMweb without exhaustively checking my facts first.  Hoist with my own petard.  Eating humble pie and all that.  Sorry! 

Andrew of WM said, in passing conversation, when I was buying some kits and looking at the notes in them, that all the kits had notes in them.  Certainly all mine have included them, loco kits, carriage kits and wagon kits - and the kits that came in bags had been resealed with the header cards stapled back on the top, usually reusing the original staple holes.

All the best, and I hope the ones you bought live up to your expectations anyway, included notes or not! 

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, PJT said:

Oh heavens, I should have known, shouldn't I?  I'm sitting here laughing at my own stupidity in stating something like that on RMweb without exhaustively checking my facts first.  Hoist with my own petard.  Eating humble pie and all that.  Sorry! 

Andrew of WM said, in passing conversation, when I was buying some kits and looking at the notes in them, that all the kits had notes in them.  Certainly all mine have included them, loco kits, carriage kits and wagon kits - and the kits that came in bags had been resealed with the header cards stapled back on the top, usually reusing the original staple holes.

All the best, and I hope the ones you bought live up to your expectations anyway, included notes or not! 

Pete T.

Tee hee :) Of course they were up to expectation - it just would have been interesting to "find" something similar in them (All GER D&S kits). Part of the history of the kit :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

it just would have been interesting to "find" something similar in them (All GER D&S kits). Part of the history of the kit

I agree!  I don't know if you're of my generation or not; if you are, you'd understand me saying it'd be a bit like finding the much rarer Thunderbird 2 model in the little plastic bag down the bottom of your box of Sugar Puffs cereal instead of the usual (and very boring) Thunderbird 4.

Pete T.

• Like 3