On the Captain's Workbench - more panniers

• RMweb Gold

I have one of the new breed to build in EM. 13 weeks of lockdown and all I've managed is to look at the instructions, while they in their turn stare back at me disapprovingly. I'm hoping your good progress will motivate.

• Friendly/supportive 1

I found the Branchlines chassis an excellent investment.  I had a body built many years ago, fitting on a scratch built chassis which turned out to be to 'clever' for its own good.  I never got it to work satisfactorily and it also had a D11 and Romford gears (which shows how old it was!). One of the nicest parts of the Branchlines etch IMO is the etched cab back which I Araldited to the back of the already assembled kit one.  I've just had a look in my files and can't find any photos of this build which is surprising.  I'll dig it out tomorrow and post a couple of photos.

Are Rapido bringing one out RTR?  I don't keep up with all the latest gossip on RTR releases as 95+% of them are of no interest but I suppose it makes sense to do one as the other Panniers are all available.  I'll bet mine with its HL gearbox and Mashima and whitemetal weight runs better...................:diablo_mini:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul, yes Rapido are producing a 16XX, although they are actually doing it for Model Rail magazine. The thread is here - 

You're right about the etched cab back, by the way! If I'd realised about the etched buffer overlays, I might have used them as well, but the original whitemetal ones aren't too bad, so they will be used, together with some sprung buffers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have one and was fortunate that the body was built by Malcolm Mitchell no less! It was a perfect solder job, so much so that it was virtually impossible to see the solder lines. If only I could solder whitemetal as well as that!

The chassis is at the moment undergoing a 'heavy general' overhaul for me by CK which is proving troublesome. Maybe replacement by one of the above chassis will prove to be necessary.

The engine is destined to run on Marsh Sidings.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

I have one and was fortunate that the body was built by Malcolm Mitchell no less! It was a perfect solder job, so much so that it was virtually impossible to see the solder lines. If only I could solder whitemetal as well as that!

The chassis is at the moment undergoing a 'heavy general' overhaul for me by CK which is proving troublesome. Maybe replacement by one of the above chassis will prove to be necessary.

The engine is destined to run on Marsh Sidings.

Yes, unusual to have two 16XXs on the workbench at the moment. Here is a view of the chassis of John's P4 example, which was initially a lovely runner when first built, but has now developed problems:

20200610_170713.jpg.193be526145aba28294e5ed23e390ac2.jpg

It's currently having an extended stay on the rolling road.

• Like 2

The 16xx pannier was always a favourite of mine since we had several shedded locally (at 84J Croes Newydd) when I was a lad.

However, following a midnight raid by the tartan clad Celts, we lost one!  It appeared later at Dornoch.  Never forgiven the Scots for that..........................:triniti:

• Friendly/supportive 1

Captain, as promised here are some shots of my 16xx build using the BL chassis.  I'm afraid that they're not to my usual high (HAHAHA!) standard but hopefully they'll do for now.

Here it is in all its glory, a bit fuzzy at the rear as the actress said to the bishop, but not bad considering.  Sanding gear rodding is what I fitted during the original construction many years ago, the kit rodding is still on the fret saved for a rainy day.  I actually think mine is a bit finer TBH.

155150647_16xxBuilt.1.A.jpg.f46e8cb01a5447051f41d8f6b1ec1bf2.jpg

Here is the chassis complete.  The motor is 'hard wired' in place from the PCB pickup 'plate'.  I suppose I could fit a flywheel but I can never be sure they actually make a lot of difference in practice.

1510382397_16xxBranchlineschassis.1.A.jpg.f504accff061e7704dbfb2473bcb2722.jpg

And from the other end.  Pickups are mounted on a 'long U shaped' piece (to clear the motor and gearbox) of PCB attached to the top of the frames which avoids all the potential messiness with brake gear etc. underneath.

882679871_16xxBranchlineschassis.3.A.jpg.ca916f25a02652807bd62a7e8e61e18a.jpg

And here is the u/s of the chassis showing the PCB keeper plate attached with 8BA screws into tapped holes in 1/16th brass spacers, a single one at the inner end and 2 at the outer to allow for a semi-circular cutout to allow access to the body fixing screw.  The driven axle is held in place with my 'split-tube' method and (I think!) there are some thick washers either side of the gearbox to reduce sideplay to a minimum.  I always cut the springs off the etch to make fitting and removing axles much easier, something I end up doing a lot as the build progresses.  Once all is in place these were then soldered to the keeper plate.  Brake gear is clipped in place using very fine bore brass tube (0.45mm internal) soldered into the top hole of the shoes sliding onto projections of 0.45mm brass wire soldered to the chassis in the etched holes provided.

479386687_16xxBranchlineschassis.2.A.jpg.dee4fb244dc34b5199e2f11203546fd9.jpg

The u/s of the body showing that I needed to fit some plasticard pads to get the ride height correct.  I also cut a slot in the boiler to clear the rear motor drive shaft.  Injector pipes are bent up from steel florists wire and there was a fair degree of hacking away at the inside of the splashers.

1291310444_16xxundersideofbody.1.A.jpg.acf1c873b7afe5db5cb6769684fccca1.jpg

And this is the original chassis which had 2 side beams between the front driven axle and the centre axle and a single central beam the other end.  Never could get it to balance properly and the loco had been sent to the naughty step for several years until Branchlines released ther version.

1960128511_1600Chassis.2.A.jpg.36e636ccd44cee887998ad005e735d95.jpg

Hope this is useful!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, mike morley said:

The Branchlines chassis has been mentioned favourably several times.  I have recently purchased an SE Finecast/Branchlines kit with a Justin Newitt chassis.  Are they the same thing?

Yes. I have one of these, too. Taunton's 1668 (in EM) will eventually be the result.

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul - thanks for the photos. I also have had to use some plasticard to increase the ride height slightly.

Fortunately, I don't have to hack at the inside of the splashers in OO, but I appreciate the tip, should I need to fit one of these chassis to my existing P4 one, which has had problems prior to this, although an extended spell on the rolling road (just like John's is having now) seems to have improved matters somewhat.

On 25/06/2020 at 11:19, 5050 said:

The 16xx pannier was always a favourite of mine since we had several shedded locally (at 84J Croes Newydd) when I was a lad.

However, following a midnight raid by the tartan clad Celts, we lost one!  It appeared later at Dornoch.  Never forgiven the Scots for that....

Ha !  That'll be 1646, then... I think I encountered it on late-1950s family holidays in the Dornoch area, though it was classmate 1649 which gave me my first footplate trip.  As a memento of that I've always had an eye out for a 4mm model and my patience was rewarded a couple of years ago when I picked up a pre-owned built-up Nu-Cast one from Hatton's for a very reasonable price - complete with P4 chassis and Portescap 1219, no less.  It was sold as a "non-runner" but that was only because no-one had wired up the pickups !  So with a repaint and new number-plates it's now 1649, but it could still do with some brake gear - some of the the bits are still in the box but there are no kit instructions, so if anyone can tell me how this goes together I'd be grateful.  Anyone want a set of cabside plates for 1650?

My main interest is of course the Waverley Route, but interestingly it seems that both 1646 and 1649 were recorded as being hauled through Hawick on their way north to the Highlands.

Alasdair

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJCT said:

it seems that both 1646 and 1649 were recorded as being hauled through Hawick on their way north to the Highlands.

Under cover of darkness I presume:rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, 5050 said:

Under cover of darkness I presume:rolleyes:

Well, I do know some-one who claims to have seen it, but he didn't say what time of day it was - I'll try and remember to ask him next time I see him....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As this kit is rather 'old school', there's a gap under the boiler, which really needs to be filled. There is a whitemetal 'underboiler' casting, but that has a large gap for the old type motors that were available in the 1970s, when the kit was designed.

I liked the way that High Level provide an 'underboiler' in their chassis kits, so I sought to replicate this, using a piece of spare brass, rolled to shape and two spare underboiler brackets from the High Level 74XX kit (the EM and P4 ones, which I didn't use). Both the support brackets were reduced in width before fitting, but the radius was pretty spot-on for what I needed:

20200712_193716.jpg.b8c060e30773af01d039c3c3183ee96c.jpg

Here is the underboiler now soldered in place on the chassis. The motor will rest on the piece of brass:

20200714_153426.jpg.0365fe6f3de582363d01303e4919ea75.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've also now done the brake gear. This isn't designed to be removable on the NuCast Partners kit, as far as I can make out, but it's relatively straightforward to make it thus:

20200716_205947.jpg.dee3e1477cc53398f6023b6cf299c5fd.jpg

20200716_210328.jpg.28cca1661805cdd371f81439c247f175.jpg

Thanks for the pics  of the brake gear - I think mine only has the shoes but I ought to be able to fabricate the linkage from some etch scrap or the like.  Could you tell me the dimensions of the long outside linkage pieces, please ?

To conceal the PortEscap 1219 I think my loco also has a home-made underboiler, which I've just realised I missed when I repainted the loco....

Alasdair

Edited by AJCT
Spelling !

7 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've also now done the brake gear. This isn't designed to be removable on the NuCast Partners kit, as far as I can make out, but it's relatively straightforward to make it thus:

20200716_205947.jpg.dee3e1477cc53398f6023b6cf299c5fd.jpg

20200716_210216.jpg.b575bb1980fe48ec2c509c96be3a4da4.jpg20200716_210328.jpg.28cca1661805cdd371f81439c247f175.jpg

Captain

A stunning bit of removable brake gear, what size and type of tube and wire do you use please

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1