S&C Staycation Express

• RMweb Premium

Rail Charter services have just announced a Skipton-Appleby service that will make three return services from July through to September.

https://en.railsistem.com/2020/06/24/new-settle-carlisle-luxury-charter-train-announced/

https://www.railcharterservices.co.uk/

Edited by newbryford
Update for 2021
  • Like 6

the original posting makes it clear the plan is a daily service monday to saturday

postings 2 and and 3 may be cleaver but are stupid

since there seems no way to 'vote down' a posting I have to resort to posting a critical comment

mike james

• Agree 1

A good start; the Settle-Carlisle is woefully underused, a few short DMU's and a few minerals trains a day and the odd charter/engineering move.  Hopefully this might kickstart an increase in excursions for when all this is over. 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, mikejames said:

the original posting makes it clear the plan is a daily service monday to saturday

postings 2 and and 3 may be cleaver but are stupid

since there seems no way to 'vote down' a posting I have to resort to posting a critical comment

mike james

Oh dear, must remember humour doesn't work online

• RMweb Premium
On 25/06/2020 at 20:34, Ben B said:

A good start; the Settle-Carlisle is woefully underused, a few short DMU's and a few minerals trains a day and the odd charter/engineering move.  Hopefully this might kickstart an increase in excursions for when all this is over. 

More used than it once was, although I guess the decline in coal traffic has hit the freight. Must've had enough traffic to justify putting in intermediate block signals several years ago. It would be nice to see the return of regular through passenger trains though.

40 minutes ago, Reorte said:

More used than it once was, although I guess the decline in coal traffic has hit the freight. Must've had enough traffic to justify putting in intermediate block signals several years ago. It would be nice to see the return of regular through passenger trains though.

Agreed; I think it's the lack of MGR trains that make it seem so quiet compared to even 10 years ago. It's always puzzled me that more through traffic doesn't use the line. At least there's the semi-regular quarry traffic from Horton as a newish freight flow.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ben B said:

Agreed; I think it's the lack of MGR trains that make it seem so quiet compared to even 10 years ago. It's always puzzled me that more through traffic doesn't use the line. At least there's the semi-regular quarry traffic from Horton as a newish freight flow.

Pretty much every day from Arcow (at Helwith Bridge) and often twice per day.

There are ongoing discussions to reconnect Horton Quarry.

My last S&C loco-hauled trip was in 2017 with Tornado from Settle-Appleby on the last previous timetabled services......

(The italics are for the benefit of another RMwebber!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

47805 has been trundling up and down the S&C for a couple of days in readiness for the RCS/LSL trains.

It even did a "stop n go" at Settle station this afternoon.

Just as I realised what was going on, it was too late to go and snap it.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Bedlington North said:

Its using all first class Mk3's plus a MK2 BSO for non-passenger use and bike carrying AIUI. The Guardian had an articles that (wrongly) stated the "trains were ex InterCity125s" or some such.

Coaches are reported to be ex-Greater Anglia.

So a return to a former stamping ground, as no doubt they will probably have been through Settle in the 1980s on Sunday WCML diversions!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2020 at 15:32, newbryford said:

It didn't stop today.....

47805/D1935 on a Appleby-Hellifield training run.

Two-tone green passing through there, looks good!

• Agree 1

Bike carrying capacity would be great. Some good cycle touring opportunities. Including the Pennine Bridleway which pretty much follows the line (except it goes over the hills rather than through them!). Ive fancied a two day trip Settle - Appleby. Issue has been getting back 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The first northbound service through Settle headed by 37521 on 2 July 2020. 47593 is at the rear.

37521.jpg.66ed4ef2b65fb98a319794be5826a6c9.jpg

A quiet getaway for the first one.

The second was bit more lively.

I shall go and watch the third!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2