S&C Staycation Express

17 hours ago, newbryford said:

The rumour is that 37521 will be swapped for a 47 this weekend (47712 is the current favourite to take up the duty)

No ! I have never travelled behind 37521, or rather 6817, and was considering a trip for that reason.

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2020 at 14:51, caradoc said:

No ! I have never travelled behind 37521, or rather 6817, and was considering a trip for that reason.

Guess what you'll be doing tomorrow........

Absolute confirmation of the swap will probably be when the set heads north from Crewe on Sunday.

edit - see next post

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2020 at 14:51, caradoc said:

Latest news is 37521 is still on this coming week..... 

Edit: - just seen northbound - heading back to duty.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Reorte said:

Maybe a daft question - but is D6817 its genuine pre-TOPS number?

Yes but it had headcode boxes, no headlight, wrap around buffer cowling and different style grills in the nose back then... in short it looked much less like it does today. Strange choice to turn this one green, when others much closer to original exist...

Railfreight Metals or Petroleum could have been much more appropriate.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Yes but it had headcode boxes, no headlight, wrap around buffer cowling and different style grills in the nose back then... in short it looked much less like it does today. Strange choice to turn this one green, when others much closer to original exist...

Quite - but that doesn't seem to fit in with what looks like a common theme amongst LSL loco liveries.

Green diesels and IC swallow electrics in the main so far. 47593 is a notable exception.

At the end of the day, even though the livery may not match the physical appearance of yesteryear, we can be thankful that these old stagers are still out there on the mainline.

Missed seeing it (521) on the last northbound trip today, but certainly heard it! I'll be on the lookout tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

37521 is painted in a livery which is accurate for 2020. It's not a museum artefact restored to a set time period. However, BR green diesels (esp plain green) look as awful now as they did in the 1960's

24 minutes ago, Bomag said:

37521 is painted in a livery which is accurate for 2020. It's not a museum artefact restored to a set time period. However, BR green diesels (esp plain green) look as awful now as they did in the 1960's

BR Green was far better that that awfull all over blue!!!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, The Border Reiver said:

BR Green was far better that that awfull all over blue!!!!!

Depends which green. I like this green but I'm not keen on two tone green.

Blue was OK when clean and new (on locos, I thought it looked bad on units), but it wasn't clean and new very often.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Bomag said:

You mean, unique to 1 loco, just as 66587 in Pink is.

it is not accurate, a long way from it, indeed its not even trying to be accurate. But it is a nod to the past, just as 66779 and 66789 are, and as 37404 was, in its day (ironically it ended its days at Crewe Diesel too), as was D172.

It makes it a celebrity

47593 however is much closer to accurate, as close as can be, given requirements for Mainline. 47716, 37688 are too, the green 47’s also are pretty good renditions, as is 37669, 521 is definitely an odd one out.

Edited by adb968008

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You mean, unique to 1 loco, just as 66587 in Pink is.

it is not accurate, a long way from it, indeed its not even trying to be accurate. But it is a nod to the past, just as 66779 and 66789 are, and as 37404 was, in its day (ironically it ended its days at Crewe Diesel too), as was D172.

It makes it a celebrity

47593 however is much closer to accurate, as close as can be, given requirements for Mainline. 47716, 37688 are too, the green 47’s also are pretty good renditions, as is 37669, 521 is definitely an odd one out.

No I mean accurate for now. As you said it is not intending to replicate a previous state, therefore it is accurate for July 2020.  Whether it directly replicates a livery which was used in the past is important for some, for the rest of us the question is does it look nice.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Bomag said:

for the rest of us the question is does it look nice.

Yes.

37521a.jpg.0d32269f4e387f85340b651bc3ca84a5.jpg

It doesn't sound too shabby either.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Bomag said:

No I mean accurate for now. As you said it is not intending to replicate a previous state, therefore it is accurate for July 2020.  Whether it directly replicates a livery which was used in the past is important for some, for the rest of us the question is does it look nice.

So think of it more as just applying an old livery to an existing modern loco (modern as in what condition it's in now in this case, but could equally apply to a brand new loco), just as you would with a brand new livery, rather than trying to recreate something? So you can think of it as what it would look like if liveries hadn't changed but everything else had, or that any livery, new or old, is just as valid so take your pick on that alone, its age is irrelevant.

I can get behind that without it bothering me.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Bomag said:

lets agree at that.

It looks nice, another choice of 37 could make it nicer.

I’m still puzzled why Colas put so much into it, in 2017, after a decade largely out of use, only to put it to LSL after less than 2 years.
even Bachmann were caught out with 37521 in Colas only recently having been released.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

37521 is on the naughty step.

It failed on the Sunday northbound run with the ECS to Appleby.

The set was dragged back to Crewe where 521 was replaced with 37407.........

37407 then headed to Appleby with 47593 tagged on the rear.

Latest info rumour is that 37407 will be working solo.

I wonder how that fits in with a scheduled 18/15/23 minute run round time at Skipton for the three returns trips?

We shall know soon enough.

(The plan is to be watching it about 0900 Monday)

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

47593 is now on the naughty step as the first service has been cancelled, but they're hoping to get it fixed for the mid-morning southbound run.

Apparently the last northbound today is sold-out except for the coach reserved for walk-up customers at Skipton/Settle, although this is on a first-come, first-served basis.

Latest update is that 37407 is only on for one day.

All good fun at the rumour mill.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, newbryford said:

Latest update is that 37407 is only on for one day.

To be replaced with 20107/37521......

20 cylinders of EE tomorrow

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, slg said:

47593 back on it today with 37521

Apparently [*] the 47/stock/20/37 combo is too long for Skipton station......

[*] Depends on who you listen to.......

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

For those thinking of travelling this service in the next week.

47712 has replaced 37521 at the northern end of the train. 47593 is still at the south end.

47712.jpg.04d2681b0b9d025a666f9c03257a21b1.jpg

• Like 4