S&C Staycation Express

• RMweb Premium

47593 has failed, so 20107 worked the ECS south this morning.

Seen here on the rear of 1Z41.

Hopefully will be in charge of 1Z42 southbound later.

(There is a possibility that 37521 may return.....)

20107.jpg.dbc8e18e1855f759fd43348ed2ab4b9d.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Update for those that may be considering a day trip to the Yorkshire Dales...

37521 has returned north today (13/8/20)

There is a light engine path - 0Z20 - for 14/8/20 - maybe 20107 taking 47593 to LSL Crewe for repair.

A presumption. If the 37 is directly replacing the 20 on the service, then it would seem likely that 37521 will now be working the southbound services, offreing more photo opportunities.

I will try to keep an eye out for it Friday morning.

Edit:

37521 is at the southern end, with 47712 doing the honours northbound.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, smithlington smithe said:

also heard a rumour while I was there that there could be the possibility of a class 40 and 37 combo on maybe the last week of operation.

It'll have to be a 37/4 to provide ETS power.................

I don't think LSL have a /4 tractor

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Bedlington North said:

But they have already hired a 37/4 from DRS so a precedent has been set. Assuming they wanted the extra expense of loco hire fees...

37407 was a last minute emergency replacement [*] and probably all they could get at the time. It wasn't even providing any ETS as 47593 on the rear was powered up to do so.

[*] The ECS move was northbound from Crewe-Appleby on the Sunday afternoon when 37521 failed approaching Blackburn.

The set returned to Crewe for a replacement loco and it looks like 37407 was the only thing available.

It was only on a one-day hire at that, as DRS had it allocated to test duties the day after.

The service was never aimed at the "crankex" market, (although I do know one or two who have been on it) but at the general tourist looking for a day out/ride on a train in very pleasant scenery. They won't give a hoot as to what is up front, other than that their train is comfortable, clean and pretty much on time. (And that's not too difficult given the slack in the schedule).

Edited by newbryford

Thanks for the explanation but it's not necessary for me. I travelled on the first day of service and I am well aware of the intent of the service (even though cranks have been regular travellers on the service...)

Like I said, their hire of a 37/4 set a precedent and surely if you are going to hire in a last minute replacement to haul Mk3 carriages then it is always preferable to have something with ETH capability in case your other loco fails. Your passengers would very quickly give a hoot on a warm summers day sitting in an airless, hot carriage due to no aircon and no opening windows (droplights excluded).

All I meant to say was that they have done it before, therefore it's not impossible to think they might do it again...

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Maybe a bit off-topic but how long has Settle had those platform extensions for?

It's been a few years now - I shall try to find out from the local staff.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I remember that when Jouef stuck their toe into the UK 4mm market, they were criticised for producing a Class 40 and Mk3 stock. Never run together said the experts. Well, here we are. It's just taken 30 years.

It wasn't entirely unusual to see them on ECS moves or emergency drags via the S&C in the late 70s/early 80s.

Edited by newbryford
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

So that's the excitement over for this year. [*]

Just watched the final ECS move towards Crewe - 40145 on the front up a 1 in 100.

5Z47 in the blinds and sounding well.

[*] 20107 and 37667 are still at Appleby.....

edit: Moving Monday. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U55196/2020-09-14/detailed

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1