Stephenson's Rocket Second Class Blue Coach •Exclusive•

Oliver Rails

rocketbanner.jpg.967aeeebfd36aa7c79960569617e7e7d.jpg

Following the arrival of the Hornby Stephenson's Rocket Train Pack, We are pleased to announce that the supporting Second Class Open "Blue Coach" is now available to pre-order!

• Exclusive to Rails •

From its opening in 1830, the Liverpool & Manchester Railway ran both First and Second Class coaches. The Second Class coaches, known as "blue coaches" to distinguish them from the yellow of First Class, were initially open in accordance with stage coach travel of the day, where those paying a lower fare sat in the open air. Our model is based upon a replica coach in the National Collection, built for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway's centenary celebrations in 1930.

Pre-Order Today for £39.99

Pre-ordering is highly recommended due to the small production run. (Payment is not taken until item is ready for despatch)

Manufactured using cutting-edge technologies featuring:

• A new, ultra high resolution, super strong aeronautical grade PU with a design life exceeding 25 years
  • A build process using the very latest light technology and is infinitely flexible for making all variants.
  • Rails aim to fill the need for niche products, which simply would not justify a large production run. As they are produced in limited quantities.
  • A tremendous amount of research and development has been put into this project to ensure accuracy and true replication has been achieved.
  • Schedule: CAD already completed with the test print sample due next week.
  • Production to begin very soon.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/40625/rails-rhl-sr-coach-oo-gauge-stephenson-s-rocket-l-mr-second-class-blue-open-coach

•  
  • Like 11

45 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That might make my 3D print one look rather unfinished as it’s unlined! :) ah well I’m sure I can find another use for it. 
Thanks that’s my order in :) 

No disrespect to Dr Newman, but the comparison is one of chalk and cheese. Where Dr Newman has designed for OO gauge, the results are superb, but, as is fair enough, he is mainly interested in his chosen scale and, so, most of the OO gauge range is supersized from his N Gauge designs.  That can leave the detail and proportion a little 'out' for OO gauge. For instance, I bought the Lion 'scratch-aid'.  I found it required a lot of work, and even found myself re-cladding the boiler with about 3 of my planks to one of his!  You need, therefore, to take literally the term 'scratch-aid'.  

It was an absorbing and enjoyable process, however!

1493640028_DSCN0036-Copy.JPG.2eea2d9d9aa292c8d3d09330f5f36615.JPG

1158409725_IMG_1257-Copy.JPG.8c4e3e5752fe8ab24e20ccfea0b9954b.JPG

1733599768_IMG_1374-Copy.JPG.b3d3773d2541587ee3cad058407ad6f4.JPG

44 minutes ago, Legend said:

Nice innovation .   Same couplings as those dratted ones supplied with Rocket ?  And is a coupling or 2 supplied with coach?

Not a fan of the Hornby coupling system, but the Rails ones need to be capable of running with the Rocket set and they will be designed to do so.

1211503645_Rocket1979Replicatrain.jpg.6eb065bde7ffc7f50980f217bba7181b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just now, PaulRhB said:

I do note that the buffer rods Inside the frame appear oval, no doubt for strength in resin, so it will be interesting to see how they catch the light in person. If they look too wide I’ll just replace them with wire. 

No, they're not oval, They will be separate metal components, with a buffer head at one end. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

No, they're not oval, They will be separate metal components, with a buffer head at one end. 

You’ll note I’d already removed it because it was how it looked on the phone ;) I was able to see the shading on the tablet and revised it ;) 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

I may be wrong, but I always thought that there were three classes of carriage on the L&M and the open wagons were Third Class.

image.png.f7d78c6cf84735de4ee5c12c4db7efa3.png  Picture taken from the Science Museum.

As I understand it the only difference in 2nd and third initially was the 2nd’s had bench seats while you stood in third. The roofs were a later addition it seems. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

So we’ve got models that are accurate for any layout based from the 1930’s on or with a tiny dash of imagination 100yrs earlier. That’s not a bad compromise . .

Yes.  I will probably push the point and run them as 1830s trains.  I have to put my Brave Pants on, though, and change the angle of the motion, then the Rocket model can be converted to any of her class. 

12 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

I may be wrong, but I always thought that there were three classes of carriage on the L&M and the open wagons were Third Class.

image.png.f7d78c6cf84735de4ee5c12c4db7efa3.png  Picture taken from the Science Museum.

12 hours ago, Bishdurham said:

image.png.a879b8c099dfbb8bf28e03853877ac65.png The Stamp shows the 2nd Class behind the  1st.  Looks like although it had a roof, the sides were open.

From inception the LRM had First and Seconds. The blue coaches were the Seconds.  The colour, in fact, denoted Second Class.   The blue coaches were introduced as open and later had roofs added.  The Ackermann published prints show these, thought they just had slender open frames, not ends.

114873775_IMG_7863-Copy.JPG.9c3e9f327e9c88ba142d814d58faaeef.JPG

You will see that the passengers appear quite well-to-do; as originally open, the accommodation equated to the external seats on a stage-coach. The roof was added against smuts and sparks, not as a class-appropriate gesture. For the same reason, tarpaulins were introduced to cover goods.  

By the time there was a third class service, all coaches would have been built with roofs, as, IIRC, was a statutory requirement by then. 

The replicas are clearly compromises. I have a feeling that the buffing arrangements, for example, might have been different from the arrangement at the opening of the line, and I have read that the First Class replicas were based upon a model that purports to represent an 1834 coach, Experience IIRC, so that might be where the 1834 reference crept in on the NRM's online listing for the prototype, as the chassis is clearly the same on both classes of replica coach.

But the Rails release is clearly in the spirit of the Hornby  set, and intended to complement it, which it no doubt will.

Edited by Edwardian
Spelling and clarity
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

There's an article by Anthony Dawson in the July 2020 edition of Backtrack entitled "The First Train of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway".  It only arrived a few days ago and I've not yet read it but it looks as though it will be rather interesting.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The 3D print goes well with the GBL Rocket - think I will wait until at least the despatch of my R3810 to be confirmed before ordering the Rails one

Hattons are reporting that their batch will arrive on 29th June.

7 hours ago, GeoffBird said:

Hattons are reporting that their batch will arrive on 29th June.

Gaugemaster took payment today for the one I ordered long after they were apparently sold out everywhere and at £165 inc postage cheaper than Hattons so the Rails coach now ordered. Train4U were also expecting them today.