Stephenson's Rocket Second Class Blue Coach •Exclusive•

Oliver Rails

7 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

This morning Hornby have announced they are producing a model of the L&MR Stephenson's Rocket Open Third Class Carriage. In light of this announcement and the incredible low RRP, we have decided that it would not be wise to proceed with our 3D printed model.

Our thought process behind the project was we felt our model would complement the Hornby Rocket set and we felt this would unlikely be produced by Hornby. Obviously this time we were mistaken. We wish Hornby every success with this exciting new model.

We will therefore regrettably be cancelling all pre-orders for our model. There is no need to email or contact us with will automatically happen over the next few days.

I'm sorry to see that your model has been cancelled.  I had preordered one from you and would have honoured my preorder.  I feel the least I can do is make my preorder of the Hornby version via yourselves.  It would be a pity for your entrepreneurialism to go wholly without reward.

David

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Well, I suppose all's fair in love, war and model railways. I don't think the pictures are one of the cunning graphic renders, suggesting the Hornby product must be well advanced if release is "Autumn 2020".  With 3D print, we could, in fact, beat them to it, but there would be little point in doing so. There are other things we can print before Hornby can tool!  

It looks like a nice piece.  There is still no such thing as a Third, but that is just the name, it's clearly based on the same replica as the Rails version.  The only differences in prototype fidelity that I notice are (i) the Hornby version (as with the First) does not have the pierced headstock of the prototype, which our CAD shows, and (ii) a necessary compromise of RTR tooling is that they have used the same chassis with the result that the buffer shanks carry a step, which actually is not included on the replica open coach.  The fastidious could clip those off and make good; I'd bet almost no one will, however! Those are very minor matters, and clearly this will prove every bit as popular and attractive a model as the First. 

I was intrigued that the Hornby bumf writer bothered to mention Lion. Yes, it's true that these coaches were in fact built to run behind Lion in 1930, not Rocket, but that is irrelevant to the Rocket release that the open coach ostensibly complements, so one cannot help but wonder whether more is planned ... 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

I'm sorry to see that your model has been cancelled.  I had preordered one from you and would have honoured my preorder.  I feel the least I can do is make my preorder of the Hornby version via yourselves.  It would be a pity for your entrepreneurialism to go wholly without reward.

Well done; I like that.  It's a thoughtful way to deal with the situation.  I think I shall do the same.

Pete T.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, PJT said:

Well done; I like that.  It's a thoughtful way to deal with the situation.  I think I shall do the same.

Pete T.

Ditto. The link in the email to pre-order doesn't seem to work, though?

And thanks go to Oliver for informing us so quickly. At least it means that any funds allocated to developing the Rails model can now go towards another worthwhile project.

:drink_mini:

• Agree 3

On a personal note, I'd like to say that I greatly appreciated the enthusiasm for this product and vote of confidence for the 3D project that was demonstrated by the incredibly strong pre-ordering of the Rails Blue Coach, which actually caused us to double the run originally planned (another way in which the medium is flexible, of course).  However, we can move on with minimal impact to the next project, already in development, so watch this space!

By the way, the Rails pre-order link to the Hornby version definitely works and requires only minimum patience. Looks like I was only just in time, though. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Edwardian said:

On a personal note, I'd like to say that I greatly appreciated the enthusiasm for this product and vote of confidence for the 3D project that was demonstrated by the incredibly strong pre-ordering of the Rails Blue Coach, which actually caused us to double the run originally planned (another way in which the medium is flexible, of course).  However, we can move on with minimal impact to the next project, already in development, so watch this space!

Toplights, toplights

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

58 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

Due to an overwhelming response this morning, we have currently pre-sold our initial allocation. We are attempting to secure more stock. Should more become available we will reopen the order book.

Don't despair, if you can increase those SECR van production numbers, my order for all 5 will go in right away. It will more than compensate Rails for my lost L&M coach! (You will fast become my favourite shop if I can order these SECR vans!!!!!).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Hmmm, ok, can you announce please a set of Mk4 coaches and DVT then please @Oliver Rails, I guess we will need IC, GNER, Nat Express, Virgin, LNER & GC liveries.

Cavalex intended to do those along with the class 91. I have not heard much about that lately though so I don't know if these are still planned.

Maybe if they remind Hornby, it will prompt them to compete?

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Due to an overwhelming response this morning, we have currently pre-sold our initial allocation. We are attempting to secure more stock. Should more become available we will reopen the order book.

It would have been rather better to allocate the allowance to those that had ordered the Rails one first though rather than letting those saying they’d ordered multiples elsewhere to sell them out. I tried to replace my order for 2 but they’d all gone so I’m afraid the order has to go to Hornby direct as I’m not waiting for an increased allocation hope following previous experience of shops overselling seen on here! I’ve not had a cancellation email so if I’d not been on here yesterday I’d be sitting waiting unknowing. 
Those were guaranteed orders so it should have been easy to say we have x amount that need to be transferred to those orders first.
I’d suggest emailing your pre ordered customers not just cancelling their orders . . .

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget Rails had orders, not only a complete production run, but an expanded production run at that.

Hornby's allocation to Rails would only be a tiny fraction of Rails orders already received for the 3D printed version.

There is no way they could have just transferred/honoured their current orders.

I was on the phone pretty quickly (to my local model shop) and got the impression that there would be a mad-dash for everyone to increase their allocations from Hornby.

These early offerings of British history seem to be VERY popular and I would expect more varied examples to come.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Hornby's allocation to Rails would only be a tiny fraction of Rails orders already received for the 3D printed version.

There is no way they could have just transferred/honoured their current orders.

Really? There are figures to back that up? They could have honoured some then and issued an apology that they weren’t allocated enough though. I ordered mine 25min after it was announced according to my email and was the first response on the thread after the announcement so I guess a pretty early order and I haven’t heard anything it’s just disappeared off my account. 
Something Rails need to think about for the future as it’s rather irritating to find they had some, rushed to put the Hornby ones on sale, and still nothing to notify us our orders are void and can’t get the other version from them. 
I’d be a lot more irritated if these had sold out everywhere else like the first Rocket sets. 

Sorry but it’s not good for customer loyalty and I don’t really feel sorry for them going to Hornby now as a consequence. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

No figures, of course not, but Rails did expand their production to meet demand and Hornby's production is split amongst all their distributers.

The time taken for Rails to sell their pre-allocation from Hornby was very short indeed and it is recorded in one of these threads.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Again supposition, although likely correct, but not my main point. They should have been working their way through orders to let people know and they really shouldn’t have put them on open sale until they had reserved enough or informed those that had pre ordered their one. 
I posted to make them think, they’ve not communicated anything direct about the delays on pre orders with the latest Terrier delays either. I think they need to rethink their communications on delays and cancellations as there are no doubt people who only check their emails once or twice a week, like my parents, may still be unaware and find they are sold out by the time they realise assuming Rails do eventually email out the orders are cancelled? 

• Like 1