The GWR Armstrong 4-4-0: How to go about building one?

If you could get the article that would be very interesting and could offer some handy tips.

EBay (No connection other than a customer) have Lord of the Isle body's from £2.99p

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 20:34, Londontram said:

EBay (No connection other than a customer) have Lord of the Isle body's from £2.99p

Picked up a rather battered body for one a few years ago from a stand selling lots of scraps of old Triang and other locos, for £1 - will watch this thread with interest as it may lead to a use for it

• 1 month later...

The drawing is the rebuild when all four became members of the flower class.

It is my understanding only 50 kits were ever cast. They came out at the time a company called Teign models became involved. They are rare and I am fortunate to have two of them, both built and running, bought at the time of release. My local model shop told me he did not think that K's would supply because of the changes, so I ordered one from Hattons, which arrived a couple of days later. Then, of course, my original order came in, several weeks later.  It was the last kit ever received from K's by my local shop. 

The kit came with a coal rail tender but one of mine has the later tender from a Kitmaster City of Truro. K's produced it by modifying their Dean single tooling. Because of this, the kit is not quite right around the cab area as the Dean Single had bigger wheels (7ft 8") compared to 7ft of the the 4-4-0 resulting in there being no gap between splasher and cab edge. This is why mine has no lining on the cab - there is no room!

If you are going to produce using Triang/Hornby Single parts, you can use the chassis kit for City of Truro sold by Branchlines.

Mike Wiltshire

22299491_Gooch(2).jpg.ee95979643dafe4bd76fa55db7a53aa2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 29/06/2020 at 21:15, 1466 said:

Just to confirm, I’ve asked Peco for details of the article . I guess it maybe a while before they can answer , but I’ll let you know the outcome .

According to my home produced index to my now dispersed magazine collection, the article titled "Dean 4-4-0 from a Triang Single" was published in the Modeller of Sept 1973, pages 208-210

John

On 04/08/2020 at 00:06, Kingdom2 said:

According to my home produced index to my now dispersed magazine collection, the article titled "Dean 4-4-0 from a Triang Single" was published in the Modeller of Sept 1973, pages 208-210

John

Contents from Sept 1973 mag

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Railway-modeller-magazine-September-1973-and-October-1978/283962879750

Page number suggest July or August edition?

Edited by goyasduke

Here's an article from Railway Modeller March 1982.

The quote that I have included, below, shows how to build a GWR Armstrong 4 4 0 from a Dean Single 4 2 2.

Copyright Railway Modeller.

image.png.8a0c6caf6b49b17c10f713d5230a4745.png

image.png.8936f6734f3369c8fc3dd08cb4c2044a.png

Edited by goyasduke
  • Thanks 1

On 04/08/2020 at 00:01, Coach bogie said:

The drawing is the rebuild when all four became members of the flower class.

It is my understanding only 50 kits were ever cast. They came out at the time a company called Teign models became involved. They are rare and I am fortunate to have two of them, both built and running, bought at the time of release. My local model shop told me he did not think that K's would supply because of the changes, so I ordered one from Hattons, which arrived a couple of days later. Then, of course, my original order came in, several weeks later.  It was the last kit ever received from K's by my local shop. 

The kit came with a coal rail tender but one of mine has the later tender from a Kitmaster City of Truro. K's produced it by modifying their Dean single tooling. Because of this, the kit is not quite right around the cab area as the Dean Single had bigger wheels (7ft 8") compared to 7ft of the the 4-4-0 resulting in there being no gap between splasher and cab edge. This is why mine has no lining on the cab - there is no room!

If you are going to produce using Triang/Hornby Single parts, you can use the chassis kit for City of Truro sold by Branchlines.

Mike Wiltshire

22299491_Gooch(2).jpg.ee95979643dafe4bd76fa55db7a53aa2.jpg

Mike, did you use the chassis from the K's kit straight out of the box?

1 hour ago, goyasduke said:

Mike, did you use the chassis from the K's kit straight out of the box?

Yes. K's bar frames. I replaced the K's wheels with Romford 27mm. Slightly under 7ft but allowing for wear, they are fine for me.

I've been hacking around the Lord of the Isles and by cutting off the splasher from a second body so far I've got this.

One question I'd like to run by you all with the outside cranks fitted  how would you make the chassis removable from the body.

The extended cranks are trapped by the springs and bearings so any suggestions on how to make the chassis removable?

20200726_174840.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

7 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day, Florence Locomotive Works,

I've just sent you a PM with a scanned copy of the Sep 1963 RM article that others were chasing.

I hope it will help.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Any chance of a scan as well please? Doing the same project.

Btw, have just bought a copy of RM Sep 1964 that has a picture of a GWR Armstrong 4 4 0 on the front cover.

Took a a chance on the contents being relevant and useful!

Cheers Loz

1 hour ago, Londontram said:

I've been hacking around the Lord of the Isles and by cutting off the splasher from a second body so far I've got this.

One question I'd like to run by you all with the outside cranks fitted  how would you make the chassis removable from the body.

The extended cranks are trapped by the springs and bearings so any suggestions on how to make the chassis removable?

20200726_174840.jpg

Hi Londontram,

Nice progress!

This image is from Phil's workbench featuring a Ks GWR Armstrong 4 4 0.

armstrong wheel

Looks like he used slots!

Not totally scale!

Cheers,

Loz

Edited by goyasduke
  • Thanks 1

You could make up bearings, Hornblocks and springs to hang on the axles and slide the hornblocks up into the axle horns or slots rather than have the axles poking through holes or open bottom slots.

Its what I'm planning for my Dapol City of Truro into Bulldog conversion.

6 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

The prototype had slots but the springs were obviously removed to drop the axles out.  So the only answer is to make the dummy springs removable.

There are many GWR locos with this challenge. My solution is to fit brake gear and attach the springs to the horizontal brake pull rods. When you remove the frames, the springs come with it.

Mike Wiltshire

armstrong.jpg.e2cc16f5716d8c032034a3a06ecdcedf.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...