My First Austerity

• RMweb Gold

No unfortunately not, think it was via discord or whatsapp/FB maybe. Would love to see a high-res version.

EDIT: Looks like it was that Trotskee chap on eBay who sells slides. Guess that's gone forever then :( 

Edited by Corbs

On 17/07/2020 at 15:47, doilum said:

How much of the pipework is to do with heritage passenger regulations?

The three pipes running down the right hand side of the boiler are to do with the combination brake and the smaller pressure gauge on the left is for steam heating. Other than that it's all natural.

• Thanks 1

On 17/07/2020 at 15:47, doilum said:

How much of the pipework is to do with heritage passenger regulations?

The three pipes running down the right hand side of the boiler are to do with the combination brake and the smaller pressure gauge on the left is for steam heating. Other than that it's all natural.

• Like 2

On 22/07/2020 at 16:34, Gordon A said:

Was the lubricator on the left hand side also original?

I don't know the history of this loco but HE2868/43 certainly had one fitted when preserved. She was rebuilt by Hunslets with a gas producer system in the early 60's, so possibly acquired it then. 

EDIT - It's the same loco, the re-allocated later works number and spurious name adding to the confusion... so yes, the fitting is original to this rebuilt loco

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Thanks 1

On 21/07/2020 at 11:50, doilum said:

OK, definitely not green!!

Is it blue??

The orange on the tank looks much more yellow than the smokebox front. Ruston can claim that his lining is prototypically correct.

I might still be tempted to add the Peppers lettering for historical context rather than accuracy. Overall I am surprisingly impressed by the standard of turnout. Definitely worth modelling.

The more I look the more I like. I have just realised that the frames and wheels were also blue. Time to check how much blue I have. The tin of new old stock RAF ident blue (dull) has a price tag of 11p. Probably over 40 years old. Maybe time to invest in some new paint!

7 hours ago, Corbs said:

Is it not just the reflection of the sky on shiny black paint making it appear blue?

There is a definite blue tint to the wheels and frames ( guess who painted them black yesterday!) The blue seems very similar to the colour used by the NCB for its road vehicles, later in conjunction with bright yellow. I may go and have a look for a suitable rattle can later this morning, or for ailing that, visit the local paint factor and have one made up.

• RMweb Gold

some online colour picker tools seem to suggest that it's blue as the chimney and smokebox front come out as black (but still with a hint of blue so I also think the slide is a bit blue anyway)

image.png.3b3031b4c71e612c92359556d7e8b187.pngimage.png.cb2ae4907e64b648e1c975fb364eda7a.png

From what I can tell I believe the saddle tank, cab, wheels and steps are a dark navy blue, with black frames, smokebox sides, smokebox door and a black boiler

• RMweb Gold

Hmm still not convinced. If you turn the saturation up on a reflective surface then the colours will jump out more. Plus it’s clearly been blown up from a smaller picture and jpeg-ing is evident (where pixels are grouped into blocks of 4 and 8 and the average colour/shade is applied to all of them). So when you blow it up those blocks will get bigger but retain the same colour/shade.

The best way to tell would be to have the original image but since trotskee and the ebay sellers don’t keep digital copies there’s every chance that the pic will never be seen again. 
I just wish they acted more like the transport library or RCTS archive and rather than selling the masters only once, sold copies for anyone to use. Such a better resource.

It's black. Every other loco and barge they had was orange and black; why would they paint this one blue?

Colour slides would always have a colour cast to them. Agfa had blue, Kodak was red and Fuji was green. This photo was probably taken on Agfa film.

Edited by Ruston
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ruston said:

It's black. Every other loco and barge they had was orange and black; why would they paint this one blue?

Colour slides would always have a colour cast to them. Agfa had blue, Kodak was red and Fuji was green. This photo was probaly taken on Agfa film.

Also it appears to have been taken on a day with a nice blue sky, which will inevitably add a blue cast to everything.

Al.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Colour slides would always have a colour cast to them. Agfa had blue, Kodak was red and Fuji was green. This photo was probably taken on Agfa film.

What about the 03? "Painted dark blue" 

2 hours ago, Ruston said:

There is, potentially, another reason. This photo has been scanned and that could affect the outcome.

I suspect that the blue sky has affected the light reflected from the engine, but it's all speculation without seeing the original slide/print

1 hour ago, doilum said:

What about the 03? "Painted dark blue" 

03037 at British Oak? That's irrelevant. It was no more than a repaint of its BR livery but in a darker blue, not to mention that it wasn't painted like that until 25 years after the Austerity was scrapped. I'm not even sure it was owned by Hargreaves by that point anyway.

I didn't see it until 1986, when it was at British Oak and in dark blue but there are photos of it in 1985 still in its faded Rail Blue.

This is it at Oxcroft D.P. working for NCBOE in 1989. (none of these are my pictures, click on them to view details of photographer etc.)

03037, HE8979 Oxcroft Disposal Point 31/5/1989

The Class 14 that worked at British Oak  was black and orange.

Crigglestone.

The 3F was black and orange (it would be somewhere under the muck, anyway).

British Oak Sidings

Even the barges were black and orange.

Calder & Hebble Navigation

3005_NO5_4.jpg

Black and orange appears to have been the corporate livery of Pepper/Hargreaves and taking into consideration the possibility of the film on the Austerity having a blue cast, and the bright blue sky, I say it's black. Or at least there's no reason to believe that it isn't.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

A strong case for the corporate colour scheme. It might have to be case of modelling my first fictitious loco and declaring rule one loudly. It would of course have a written caveat in its box just incase it mislead a future industrial historian. I am still intrigued by the different shades of orange, favouring the slightly faded version.

7 hours ago, Corbs said:

I just wish they acted more like the transport library or RCTS archive and rather than selling the masters only once, sold copies for anyone to use. Such a better resource.

The sale of railway slides and negatives is big business, especially when copyright is attributed to the buyer as many of these are. There are well-heeled individuals with expansive collections and for traders it's a very cheap way to make £££ - buying job lots at auction and then advertising them with expansive descriptions individually on ebay.

It's not unheard of for some choice industrial negatives to fetch well into three figures! 

Paul A. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted anything on this for a while because I haven't done anything with it. I have been waiting for the frame kit, which arrived today. This evening I have spent a couple of hours on it and have made real progress.

Austerityframe.jpg.1fbf1e95117eb9af20b9f72ec8f15b80.jpg

I have the wheels and a gearbox already to go but I'm going to have to rob the motor out of an unfinished project for it.

• Like 7

It runs! The chassis just needs pick ups ad sand pipes to complete it. I've used a 90:1 Roadrunner plus gearbox and a Mashima 10/24 motor that I took out of an unfinished loco, where it would have been overkill as far as power is concerned.

Austerityframe-001.jpg.e4dcd60f9b6eb87a8d8675951ddadd93.jpg

I need to add 130g of lead to the finished model so as to bring it up to the weight that it started out at. The body still needs a few details to be added before it is completed.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, Ruston said:

It runs! The chassis just needs pick ups ad sand pipes to complete it. I've used a 90:1 Roadrunner plus gearbox and a Mashima 10/24 motor that I took out of an unfinished loco, where it would have been overkill as far as power is concerned.

Austerityframe-001.jpg.e4dcd60f9b6eb87a8d8675951ddadd93.jpg

I need to add 130g of lead to the finished model so as to bring it up to the weight that it started out at. The body still needs a few details to be added before it is completed.

Hi Dave,

Looking good.

You'll be needing an Austerity sound decoder soon then? LOL.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

On 10/09/2020 at 20:17, pauliebanger said:

Hi Dave,

Looking good.

You'll be needing an Austerity sound decoder soon then? LOL.

Best regards,

Paul

I guess I will, otherwise I'll have to make the choo-choo sounds myself  :D :senile:

• Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...