My First Austerity

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Ruston won't mind me hijacking his thread to ask a question.

What is better than an Austerity?

Answer: Two Austerities......as seen in the photo below at Bickershaw Colliery - even into the 1980's (just). Thanks for a most interesting thread.

Cheers,

Ray.

No8 & Respite  Bickershaw Coll.  4.77.jpg

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Marshall5 said:

I hope Ruston won't mind me hijacking his thread to ask a question.

What is better than an Austerity?

Answer: Two Austerities......as seen in the photo below at Bickershaw Colliery - even into the 1980's (just). Thanks for a most interesting thread.

Cheers,

Ray.

No8 & Respite  Bickershaw Coll.  4.77.jpg

Great photo. A good study of a fired muck stack. And better than two? Four of course! ( Not counting the 50550)

• RMweb Gold

Lovely bit of work, Dave and nicely weathered as well.

I was wondering if anyone had paired the RT Models chassis with a DJM body yet, please?

I have an OO Austerity already (former Dapol RTR body and Perseverance chassis), but I acquired an unpowered DJM one from Kernow Models a few years ago and am thinking of using the RT chassis and detailing bits to do one in P4.

Thanks.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• 2 months later...
On 07/07/2020 at 10:14, Alister_G said:

Hi Dave,

I realised I have some photos of a Hunslett Austerity, taken at Peak Rail in 2013. This is of course as preserved, and may not be original, but I hope these are of some use to you?

hunslett_austerity002.jpg.a9477d5b52477ed9c00bb636dbfa7b85.jpg

hunslett_austerity004.jpg.b5b7f7eba79bd60debfc519c547b6573.jpg

hunslett_austerity005.jpg.9200a0a007a5327ccfffabcaa683f3aa.jpg

hunslett_austerity003.jpg.a72f06967896c2efe5fe3e47b890ed30.jpg

hunslett_austerity001.jpg.f241fa73d4a31d58d5b709b2ac448060.jpg

It was snowing at the time, so I apologise for the flakes getting in the way...

Al.

20210105_133649.jpg.cbc720497f9041f2e01c8ca4af15ef8a.jpgAny excuse for wasp stripes! (Kitmaster)

20210105_133714.jpg

It is almost a year since I managed a Friday night pint or three. The TV is appalling and I got to wondering how many of the individual austerities we have managed to model?

Which is the most popular?

Happy to start this as a new thread if there is any interest.

Edited by doilum
Additional information

• 2 months later...
On 08/01/2021 at 21:48, doilum said:

It is almost a year since I managed a Friday night pint or three. The TV is appalling and I got to wondering how many of the individual austerities we have managed to model?

Which is the most popular?

Happy to start this as a new thread if there is any interest.

Here is one to go on- a Hornby which I fitted with a Geisl quite a few years ago.  It was then DCC fitted by me and became the main colliery shunter for NO PLACE.  As the less than perfect track at the colliery exit causes a lot of locos to stall I decided to take the sound and stay-alive route with the colliery fleet of shunters.  The reverse curves are too sharp and close together for many locos not to take the wrong turn at the coarse-scale frog gaps, DJ and EFE WDs don't like the two points in the video clip.

Here is RESPITE just back from Digitrains with sound and a stay alive.  

Now to start saving the pennies to get another one done.  I may put a little insulation into the tank void- the tank weight has been removed completely.  On a 7 foot long layout it never gets to pull enough wagons to tax it.  I might have to adjust the chuff rate slightly, it seems to be a couple of degrees out of the 4 beats per revolution it should be, but I'll study it on the test track for a while before playing with it.

Les

• Like 1

• 2 months later...