I want to cut glazing, what do I buy?

• RMweb Premium

I want to create some flush glazing for models there is nothing available for.

Would be using clear plastic sheets in the following size ranges

5 to 15 thou, or stuff under 0.3mm

Future use could be thin card for buildings

or 10 thou plastic card for rolling stock (laminated).

So what would be a good thing to buy for this task, budget between £100 and £200 but do not mind going more?

Hmmm, lasers are problematical with non-acrylic  plastics but great for the card, craft cutters such as the silhouette cameo are good for thin glazing and the thin  plastics but would struggle with thicker stuff and card is annoying since it often sticks to their sticky mat too well. Then theres an ultrasonic cutter but they aren't too good with straight lines...

Given your list or requirements I'd say a craft cutter would be most able to fulfill them best-  laminate layers when 15thou and up is required -  but thats  just my opinion and theres most likely something I've forgotten about!

Edited by monkeysarefun

• 5 months later...

I use The silhouette  portrait cutter with acetate film, it cuts very accurately and by setting the pressure right with a little experimentation it can scribe lines for replicating sliding window handles etc. Mine cost me less than £100 and does all I need. The cameo sounds like a fine choice. These cutters are really invaluable and you will find many more modelling uses than you may think. I use mine one to to produce wall tie patress plates for instance.