Problems with my Cadbury Castle

Hello.  Some years back I purchased via Ebay, second hand, Hornby locomotive, R1048 Castle Class 7028 ‘Cadbury Castle’.

The locomotive runs fine and looks good but.....

It was soon apparent that the previous owner had trouble with it because the locomotive chassis was only secured to the top via the front screw under the pony truck;

The rear screw under the cab had seized with the threaded ferrule that fixes into the body and the ferrule had pulled away with the screw. There was evidence that attempt had been made to glue it back.

This was something that was not much of an issue for me up to the point that I went all DCC.

Now the tender is permanently attached to the loco by three wires, making for a very tight access.

I have written to Hornby, asking if they can replace the screw fixing and fit an in-line electrical connector, so that I can disconnect the tender from the loco. 

Hornby has just replied saying that they cannot take this model.

I have also looked on the Peters Spares website, nothing doing.

So over to you folks, any suggestions please, for a replacement screw fixing and where I can source a small in-line connector, preferably without having to do any 'buchering' of the tender ?

Thank you.

image.png.c82064403aa15ef8e22f4dd7bafc9fc9.png

Hi Ayjay,

If the screw fitting is jammed in the nut/helicoil on the loco Just remove the whole thing and replace the helicoil. 

Look on Ebay for these S7908 # Hornby TRIANG PACK 3 HELICOILS H4B . I had a similar problem with a Hornby Black 5 I have just restored. Take the old helicoil out. It may take a little bit of force to do so. then glue one of the new helicoils back in place. Make sure that you have the screw in the helicoil while you glue it back in. Then once the glue has just started to go off remove the screw. It stops unwanted glue getting into the thread. I used polystyrene cement not superglue. With superglue you can end up gluing you screw into the thread.

Thank you cypherman, much appreciated. 

I am going to wait until I can source the in-line electrical connector before doing anything, so that I can do both jobs together.

Can anyone help with the connector?