Triang SECR S class No.1685 update

Hi all,

I have started work on the Triang Saddle tank to try and make it more like the engine it was supposed to be.

I have removed the long splashers and scratch built and repurposed some correct style ones. I have decided to keep the 2 boxes at the back due to the amount of plastic I to take away to get this far. Remade a small part of the footplate. Filed off the lip round the large back window and filled it  in. removed the (hacked away) Westinghouse pump from the front of the boiler. i have one to go into the correct place.

Just one thing about this engine. I cannot see The dart used to lock the smokebox door in place on the smokebox door in any of the pictures I can find.... ???. Is this just me or is there not one there. I cannot see one in these pictures.

DSC_0858.JPG

DSC_0860.JPG

DSC_0861.JPG

SECR S class No.685 1.jpg

SECR S class No.685 3.jpg

SECR S class No.685.jpeg

Edited by cypherman

I think you'll find there's not one there, it looks in the photo as if it "Lugs" around the edge of the door that hold it closed.

Here's a better photo of the front end and it's a bit clearer

Hope that helps keep up the good work.

Steve

20200626_203413.jpg

Blown up it looks like it's having some work done on the pistons or valve chest as its seen here with the buffer beam off

20200626_203806.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photo
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Steve.

Thanks for the info. I will now remove the one one the body. With the close up it also shows me that there is a small handle on the left hand side of the door. Will have to try and fit one. Out of curiosity is that a 2ft narrow gauge line running next to the one the engine is on....???. It does not look any bigger.

Edited by cypherman

There must be people on here who have far more knowledge than me of SECR works and might be sble to pin point it but it does look like one of those narrow guage railways that were used for moving materiel around a works.

17 hours ago, Londontram said:

There must be people on here who have far more knowledge than me of SECR works and might be sble to pin point it but it does look like one of those narrow guage railways that were used for moving materiel around a works.

It's Bricklayers Arms in 1947 according to the Flickr page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31514768@N05/24848061784

Here's a corresponding NLS map from 1950:—

Brick_1950.jpg.24995a34906edbdafc664136fcbc4e3d.jpg

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=51.49178&lon=-0.07924&layers=170&b=1

I can't work out the location of the photo on the map - anyone?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi all,

Well the C class is moving on. Here are a few more pictures as to the state of play. I am not able to do a few things I wanted to such as opening out the underneath of the boiler or as I have now found out after getting delivery of the correct buffers the buffer beam is too shallow for them to fit on. I am just waiting on one last thing the 3 link couplings.

What I have done is,

Rebuild the running plate and put the correct splashers on as far as I can get them.

replaced all the hand rails with wire ones.

Put a handle on the filler cap.

Removed the old moulded Westinghouse pump filled the hole it left and put a new one in it's place.

Put vacuum pipes on. Strangely from the picture it is on the opposite side that they are normally on.

Removed the dart from the smokebox door as it did not have one.

Made al the lamp brackets and steps and fitted them.

Fitted window bars on the back windows.

Put a poor approximation of clack valves on until I can get some proper ones.

Put the sandboxes on the front of the engine in the correct place. I have the others to fit, but am waiting to fit the body to the chassis to see if they will be ok. 

Put new wheels with see through spokes on the chassis.

Filled in the very large 3rd window in the back of the cab.

Serviced the chassis which was a very poor runner. Now runs nice and smoothly.

So all I have to do now once the body has a coat of primer is to glaze the cab, Fit the 3 link couplings. Paint and varnish plus put the transfers on with the correct loco number. Put back the safety valves and add the whistle. Strangely it did now have a whistle on the original model. Also need to put a handle on the side of the smokebox door. So a few odds and ends to do.

I know things look a little over scale but the engine is very over scale to start with. And I have not finished the bottom of the window bars, But they are going to be hidden by the coal. So that was deliberate.

DSC_0872.JPG

DSC_0871.JPG

DSC_0869.JPG

DSC_0862.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 4

Hi Sophia,

I did check the relative size differences and from what I could see the Hornby engine and therefore the cab is much wider than the GBL loco. That was enough for me to stop doing that. That and the extra £20.00 it would cost to buy a GBL C class. I had already over spent on the money I wanted to do this engine with.

But if you do go ahead I would love to see the finished engine. Just one thing though the smokebox door for the C class is wrong for this engine. The C class engine has a dart to lock the door down. This tank does not.

• Like 1