R3770 Sir Kenneth Grange

Shoey

Just wondering if anyone has had theirs arrive yet and if so, any pictures would be much appreciated. I’m really not a huge fan of the gloss finish on the latest releases of Hornby's HST’s and I’m just curious on how glossy ‘Sir Kenneth Grange’ is. Just wish they had done 43185 power car instead of the GWR green to go with it...

Shame about the Gloss. Satin would have been better (even for the GWR PC).

Tempted to get it, but really don't like the non-close coupling. Is there an easy way to close cam couple/convert the two power cards. I presume with a single trailer you could achieve close coupling and rely on the cam from the trailer car?

Tempted to buy, have travelled behind/infront of both in recent years.

Shame the orange cantrail stripes don't go round to the corridor connection (as they prototypically should. Somewhat sloppy attention to detail...

Edited by G-BOAF

1 hour ago, G-BOAF said:

Is there an easy way to close cam couple/convert the two power cards. I presume with a single trailer you could achieve close coupling and rely on the cam from the trailer car?

I believe some of the new magnetic couplings will be suitable. The Hunt ones certainly do but there are alternatives.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Deviousweegee said:

Some pictures of mine

They're both full gloss and look pretty spectacular

Also came with etched name plates

IMG_20200630_192345.jpg.c46a7bfca2b513a20538f10943fbb92a.jpgIMG_20200630_185217.jpg.8c79892925b20b8d2fb36afde1aa5a12.jpgIMG_20200630_185223.jpg.2e5a41602b5da38a053abfcb6caf55ff.jpgIMG_20200630_185326.jpg.c45f66f3085646ffeec47f81fcfd9540.jpg

Was the real SKG that glossy out of the paint shop.  It may just be the camera and lighting, but it looks far too shiny.  Haven't received mine yet, but I am sat on the fence with what I have been seeing from people.  I've always liked the glossy GWR green mind.

Good news that it comes with some nameplates as well. Save some cost in having to get these - is that for both named cars as well

Cheers

Edited by GEOEng03
  • Agree 1

It's glossy but that works for me. I realise these things are down to personal opinion. For me this as much a souvenir as anything as I was there when 43002/43198 hauled the final GWR main line HST out of Paddington.

When 43002 was unveiled in its original livery at the St Phillips Marsh Open Day during May 2016 the nose had been hand painted and the body sides vinyl wrapped. The chassis had also been repainted with various detail highlighted in red and white. The vinyl very quickly gave a 'dull' impression to the side (as per what is noticeable on the Scotrail HSTs). 

Once withdrawn from GWR service after the 18th May 2019 and handed back to Angel Trains, prior to its donation to the National Railway Museum Angel Trains had the body side vinyl wrap removed and body sides were painted (I have never confirmed with hand painted or 3-pack spray). This, has given the 'preservation' version a nice gloss appearance and was show off at STEAM museum in mid July 2019. 

Thus, like classic Hornby (attention to the details lacking). The livery on the model neither represents the as in service with GWR between May 2016 and May 2019 nor the as museum preserved. Certainly, packing it with 43198 which ran with 43002 on the last ever Great Western HST service to Exeter St Davids is a nice touch for 'the collector' yet sadly by May 2019 the prototype had vinyl body sides which were fading and painted nose which was polished up quite nicely. 

I do not quite understand why Hornby continues to offer the class 43 HST in twin packs. I would have thought such a special livery such as this, would have done well as a single item (plus a lot cheaper!). As for me, I have utterly no need for 43198 in GWR green. 

Still, I have mine on order and I shall be happy with it. I'll eventually get around to putting a nice satin/silk finish as 43002 mainly ran with FGW dynamic lines Mk3s it shall stick out like a sore thumb being gloss! Near to the end of the HST on GWR, ie in the last 12 months...you would often have an intermix of Dynamic Lines and Green Mk3s. Certainly by this time the only full buffet coaches were in green as every single time I got the pullman both the 1st open and buffet were green, with the rest of the set being run Dynamic lines. 

8 minutes ago, vlvstvir said:

I can confirm that these are included - or at least they were in mine!

I wonder has Hornby donated any money to the 125 Group who originally funded the plates, which later have been donated to the NRM. Would have been good sport of Hornby and a little disappointed they have not made better promotion of this!

Edited by 159220
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, 159220 said:

16 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Once withdrawn from GWR service after the 18th May 2019 and handed back to Angel Trains, prior to its donation to the National Railway Museum Angel Trains had the body side vinyl wrap removed and body sides were painted (I have never confirmed with hand painted or 3-pack spray). This, has given the 'preservation' version a nice gloss appearance and was show off at STEAM museum in mid July 2019. 

I do not quite understand why Hornby continues to offer the class 43 HST in twin packs. I would have thought such a special livery such as this, would have done well as a single item (plus a lot cheaper!). As for me, I have utterly no need for 43198 in GWR green. 

Still, I have mine on order and I shall be happy with it. I'll eventually get around to putting a nice satin/silk finish as 43002 mainly ran with FGW dynamic lines Mk3s it shall stick out like a sore thumb being gloss! Near to the end of the HST on GWR, ie in the last 12 months...you would often have an intermix of Dynamic Lines and Green Mk3s. Certainly by this time the only full buffet coaches were in green as every single time I got the pullman both the 1st open and buffet were green, with the rest of the set being run Dynamic lines. 

The bodysides were actually re-vinyled at Laira Depot, however this time the vinyls were placed lengthways and done properly. This is why you can't easily see the joins on it compared to how it was previously, and what caught them out with 185 - and how that came to look rather sorry for itself in the end. The cab remained fully painted though! 

I too will be running it with my FGW Dynamic Lines sets, so it's a shame I have to have a rather unwanted Green PC too. Hopefully 185 will come out next, and hopefully with 43018 - As they often ran together in their last few weeks of service.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, surfsup said:

The bodysides were actually re-vinyled at Laira Depot, however this time the vinyls were placed lengthways and done properly. This is why you can't easily see the joins on it compared to how it was previously, and what caught them out with 185 - and how that came to look rather sorry for itself in the end. The cab remained fully painted though! 

I too will be running it with my FGW Dynamic Lines sets, so it's a shame I have to have a rather unwanted Green PC too. Hopefully 185 will come out next, and hopefully with 43018 - As they often ran together in their last few weeks of service.  

I had wondered why there was a vertical line just above the yellow and why I never saw it visit Eastleigh or Bristol Barton in June 2019. You've saved me a trip to York! 

Agreed, it would have been far more special to release with 185 in a special 40 years of the HST pack! But then, what version of 185 would you go for? The early mistake on the cab red line or the revised? One thing for sure, no way Hornby shall know details like this! 

Edited by 159220

Err, umm. Why does anyone want 43002 in retro blue/grey but have no use for a GWR green one?!! The new GWR livery emerged before the 2016 special reliveries so having a green one on the same layout is prototypical, perhaps more so if 43198 is renumbered to one of the earlier repainted examples if you are intending to pair 43002 with an FGW 'dynamic lines' rake. The coaches planned for release later this year allow the full 10 vehicle formation as used on the May '19 farewell event to be represented.

And a point of order- the HST40 plates on 43002 were GWR's, 125 Group paid for and owned the ones applied to 43013/048/300/321/423, and also had a temporary magnetic one made and used on 41001, this can best be described as a giant fridge magnet!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Err, umm.

That is because 43198 was not named Driver Stan Martin / Driver Brian Cooper until its last week's outing. 43198 was formerly named (ie prior to May 2019) Oxfordshire 2007. (The current plates have recently been painted red).

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Err, umm. Why does anyone want 43002 in retro blue/grey but have no use for a GWR green one?!! The new GWR livery emerged before the 2016 special reliveries so having a green one on the same layout is prototypical, perhaps more so if 43198 is renumbered to one of the earlier repainted examples if you are intending to pair 43002 with an FGW 'dynamic lines' rake. The coaches planned for release later this year allow the full 10 vehicle formation as used on the May '19 farewell event to be represented.

And a point of order- the HST40 plates on 43002 were GWR's, 125 Group paid for and owned the ones applied to 43013/048/300/321/423, and also had a temporary magnetic one made and used on 41001, this can best be described as a giant fridge magnet!

Purely as I'm not a fan of the First Group GWR sludge green livery. That and in all but one journeys I had with it, it was pared with a Dynamic Lines FGW Blue set with a FGW Blue Power Car. Don't forget that even in 2016 when 002 was released into traffic, only LA15 (2015 - the awful refurbished set) and LA16 (late 2016 - repainted but not refurbished) were in traffic, with later vehicles slowly turning green during their C6 overhauls. The final day had a mismatch set as well, mostly made up with repainted vehicles from Sets LA72 (44005, 42361, 42015, 42005, 42554, 42016), LA01 (40755) & LA61 (41160). 

43002, Highbridge

(Not my photo). However, that does show how much of a challenge it might be to weather 002 due to it's gloss finish. 

12 hours ago, 159220 said:

That is because 43198 was not named Driver Stan Martin / Driver Brian Cooper until its last week's outing. 43198 was formerly named (ie prior to May 2019) Oxfordshire 2007. (The current plates have recently been painted red).

That's probably the best solution if modelling a wider period than one week in May '19- 43198 was an early repaint and the Oxfordshire 2007 plates are available.

1 hour ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

That's probably the best solution if modelling a wider period than one week in May '19- 43198 was an early repaint and the Oxfordshire 2007 plates are available.

But too small to fit over the printed plates.... is the Gloss varnish over or under the printed nameplates? This will dictate how easy a rename this is

The model of Kenneth Grange really looks a bit too glossy for the prototype which is a shame. I might buy the set when the price drops a bit, but unlikely to pay £260....

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/07/2020 at 18:29, 159220 said:

Agreed, it would have been far more special to release with 185 in a special 40 years of the HST pack!

I’m sure it’s commercial reasons... 43002 with 43198 sells you 2 cars.

43185 with a.n.other sells you 4 power cars.

Dont forget you with a spare GWR power car you could always do this with it...

99A2C34F-C9B8-4F52-BD5B-5E8E80DAD964.jpeg.7cb93bed229e9ca744be873823b0da07.jpeg

The numbers on this car come off easily enough. I’m actually about to bin this as an experiment and put the 2018 logo in its place.

4D6B03E0-1FE7-47FA-B348-850767B5876D.jpeg

086AD6BC-D110-4463-9E42-3F93555C13FC.jpeg