Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter,

With the site having been down of late just had chance to catch up again, great shots of the layout 31 323 looks just right! I like the Hornby model and will be adding the Reggie 31/4 when it comes out this year - just how I remember them running out from Barrow! Thanks for digging out those photos and adding them on here - that shot at the semophores at Barrow station brings back memories I can remember seeing the very battered banger blue machines sat idling at that end of the station - they use to shudder and jolt about whilst sat there. Travelled as far as Lancaster behind them a few times and they use to sound great when they were opened up along the flat sections around Morecambe Bay!

Thanks again,

Mark

Thanks for the coments guys, I haven't done much this last week as it been to hot out in the garage, and to top things of I have hurt my back so I am walking around like a cripple. I am back to the Chiropractor today.huh.gif

Hi Jim,

Glad the 31 pic bought back some memories, I have another Hornby loco to do as 31403, but must admit I do like the Lima moulding, someone on RMweb did athread on putting the Lima shell on the Hornby chassis, though the Ultrascale wheels will improve things. Kier Hardy ( Wibble) on here, has a useful section on his website on fitting Ultrascale wheels and extra pick ups to Lima locos, might be worth a look. One of my Lima 31s is a Skinhead I will find a pic for you.

I didn't know about the Shawplan 25 grilles, as you say the A1 jobs are a bit chunky. Another job to add to the list.biggrin.gif

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12656792359735_thumb.jpg

post-7022-12656793807593_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Peter,

With the site having been down of late just had chance to catch up again, great shots of the layout 31 323 looks just right! I like the Hornby model and will be adding the Reggie 31/4 when it comes out this year - just how I remember them running out from Barrow! Thanks for digging out those photos and adding them on here - that shot at the semophores at Barrow station brings back memories I can remember seeing the very battered banger blue machines sat idling at that end of the station - they use to shudder and jolt about whilst sat there. Travelled as far as Lancaster behind them a few times and they use to sound great when they were opened up along the flat sections around Morecambe Bay!

Thanks again,

Mark

Hi Mark,

You must have been posting here when I was posting over on your thread, because I mentioned the pics. Glad you like them.laugh.gif A Reggie rail 31 would look nice though a bit late for me, I did get a pic or two in North Wales when they were working the Manchester- Llandudno and Bangor trains.

Cheers Peter,

No progress this week as I have had a bad back,sad.gif though I did go to work today.

I did go out to the garage tonight and take a few pics. 25109 was waiting on the branch with a failed 108 DMU, after 33026 passed, going LE to the shed the 25 made its way to platform 4.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-12659807493542_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Peter,

Thanks again for those pictures - your skin head 31 is in the condition I remember the blue machines in best very well done with all the balck oily stains on the bodysides! I would very much like to see your picture of 47 975 if you have it handy as I can't decide how much weathering it will need - want to do the underframe at some point but keep the bodywork clean. Hope your back gets better soon.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am over here at the moment, staying for a couple of weeks, It's my brothers (yellowvanman) 40th this week so I thought I would come over and suprize the old fart.biggrin.gif I am back at the end of the month so will post it on here for you then, though I will ask my brother if he has a pic, from memory my pic of the loco was before it was named.

Cheers Peter,

Will someone turn the heating on!!!

Hello buddy,

Hope the backs geting better :( looking good as ever luvin all the goyles can't go wrong with 31's, not a luved loco in br days but they put in a sterling service no matter wat br & EWS said about them ;)

Cheers, Jon.

P.S must do a large numbered 31327 red striper when Hornby releases theres this year!

Thanks guys,

I have been having a good time.biggrin.gif I didn't know about the red stripe 31 I might have to put that on my wants list.wink.gif

My brothers 40th was a great night, I caught up with some friends I haven't see since 2003,and some since 1995. Alot of the people at the party work for tha railway as did the live band so there was plenty of train talk.laugh.gif

Last week Keith (yellowvanman) and James son of yellowvanman took the yellow van for a spin down to Swanage for the day as 33111 was out, so I had my first Crompton bash since about 1989. It was HELLFIRE !! 33111 is in great condition and sounded greatbiggrin.gif though I was told by one of the share holders that the cabs still need a bit of work, also had a ride on the Spamcan, and saw 33103 at Corfe Castle picking up a wagon.

Today we went to Eastleigh and saw a few freights and two EDs shunting in the works, though had to get the bus home from southampton as the EH to Westbury trip derailed near MIllbrook.angry.gif

Cheers Peter,

Quick some one change the rules before he comes back.....

Hope you have a great time Pete, Don't have too many things in the suitcase or Mrs PCM might make you fit back in the suit case! blink.gif

Hi Doug,

Don't change the rules, I am running out of money,wink.gif

Suit case is already a problem,laugh.gif and I haven't bought that much honest.

Cheers Peter,

Hi pete , guess you will be on ere soon, hope you had a great flight ...hope the weather a bit warmer for ya, guess which CIG was on the Lymo today.!..Hope to see all your model bits appearing on Llanbourne in the next few weeks...cheers YVM.

Hi Bro,

Arrived here early this morning, had some good sleep on the long section between Heathrow and Singapore but ###### all on the short bit just a mere 7 hours sad.gif so had a bit of a snooze this morning. Still feeling tired though.

The weather is a bit warmer, and I am guessing the bloody green one. angry.gif

Anyway great to catch up and see everyone, I had a great time,biggrin.gif Tell the girls, Abbie and Leanne loved the presents, Abbie is off round a friends now wearing the scarf.rolleyes.gif

Tell James I found some Top Gear cards at Heathrow so will send them over soon.

All the best Peter,

Pity he couldn't smuggle that 33/1 back with him in his luggage!! Probably just a tad overweight!

Next question: will they let him back into the country?? wink.gif

Hi Jeff,

Yes they did let me back in.tongue.gif As for the Pusher at Swanage that was a beast,cool.gif I might have to get a Heljan one now,even though they didn't run on the North Wales Coast.

Cheers Peter,

They did run regularly in Wales, just not that far north. Still, a class 33 (or two) wouldn't look out of place on Llanbourne. 

Good news too, regarding Heljan 33s; they now sport the newer style wheels, which means a lot less wheel-cleaning is required.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Lack of updates recently due to the computer having a bit of a melt down. Anyway things are back to normal now, and I have been busy in the garage trying to get things working for Saturdays BRMA meeting. I will post some pics when I get a chance.

It looks like some pics from further up the page have disappeared so I have made them smaller.

Cheers Peter,

post-7022-126864529949_thumb.jpg

post-7022-126864545778_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter,

Nice to see some more photos of Llanbourne again. I especially like the 33. The buffer beam detailing looks great and the weathering looks a little understated and just right. Even I can't really justify one on Waverley West unfortunately though (says he who has just bought a Kestrel! Whoops, let the cat out of the bag there).

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Hi Jon,

I've been out in the garage tonight trying to get things working, biggrin.gif I will post a few more pics next week.

Hi Dave,

Glad you like the Crompton, They are a great little loco,biggrin.gif You could always run a pair on a railtour.laugh.gif Not sure how you would get away with Kestrel though. I must admit I have a Scottish 37/4 and a 26. Maybe one day I could run Llanbourne as a Scottish terminal.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

Glad you like the Crompton, They are a great little loco,biggrin.gif You could always run a pair on a railtour.laugh.gif Not sure how you would get away with Kestrel though. I must admit I have a Scottish 37/4 and a 26. Maybe one day I could run Llanbourne as a Scottish terminal.wink.gif

Cheers Peter,

Hi Peter,

Yeh, it would be good to see some Scottish stock on Llanbourne sometime. And that idea of a couple of 33s on a railtour doesn't sound bad either! A couple of namers perhaps.

I have no justification for Kestrel whatsoever though. It generally only went as far as Newcastle on its East Coast runs I believe and that was back in the 60s too of course. I just love the look of the loco. It looks so powerful and sleek. Of course, with 40 years of advances in loco design, we now have the Class 70. Ahem.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Peter,

Yeh, it would be good to see some Scottish stock on Llanbourne sometime. And that idea of a couple of 33s on a railtour doesn't sound bad either! A couple of namers perhaps.

I have no justification for Kestrel whatsoever though. It generally only went as far as Newcastle on its East Coast runs I believe and that was back in the 60s too of course. I just love the look of the loco. It looks so powerful and sleek. Of course, with 40 years of advances in loco design, we now have the Class 70. Ahem.

Cheers,

Dave

Sorry Peter - but Dave's message was too good to resist...

http://www.sulzer.fotopic.net/p59419176.html

Skirl of the Bagpipes, 1996!