Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, after seeing your superb 40s on ballast I found this and thought you might quite like it:

Thanks Alex,

I have seen that clip before but some time ago, I don't remember it being that long. It's a great video and the 40 sounds great. There is another video somewhere with 012 and 135 at Chester both working ballast.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Here are a couple of shots of the speaker in my 56 as promised. After installing a base enhanced speaker, I realised that the decoder is a version 3 one and so wouldn't be able to take the speaker, so I put my old speaker back in. If you're buying a new version 4 speaker, you should be able to use a 20x40mm base enhanced speaker though, which is about the same size. That should give you a nice sound. It certainly does in my latest 58.

post-7247-0-40239300-1417608822_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-55921800-1417608855_thumb.jpg

I removed the fan unit to make room for a bigger speaker, as I'm not too bothered about revolving fans. The decoder itself is stuck to the bottom of the circuit board on the left.

I'd rather not remove the body of my 24 to take a pic, as it was a devil of a job to fit back on. Suffice to say that I fitted a base enhanced speaker in the recess in the chassis beneath the fan and removed the fan moulding on the body. There is sufficient space to put the fan itself back in.

Cheers

Dave 

• Like 2

Thanks Heaps for that Dave,

I am quite happy to remove the fan assembly too. Though if I can fit them in above the speaker that would be good.

I had a look at my Bachmann class 40 the other night, and there isn't much room between the circuit board and roof. I think there is probably more room in the older model.

I will order some speakers anyway and have a play. 

Cheers Peter.

I had a look at my Bachmann class 40 the other night, and there isn't much room between the circuit board and roof. I think there is probably more room in the older model.

You should still be able to fit in a 20x40mm base enhanced speaker Peter. I managed it OK. I think I had to remove some of the fan moulding again though, as it does rather stick out.

Hi Peter

Here are a couple of shots of the speaker in my 56 as promised. After installing a base enhanced speaker, I realised that the decoder is a version 3 one and so wouldn't be able to take the speaker, so I put my old speaker back in. If you're buying a new version 4 speaker, you should be able to use a 20x40mm base enhanced speaker though, which is about the same size. That should give you a nice sound. It certainly does in my latest 58.

Cheers

Dave 

100 ohm bass reflex and bass enhanced speakers are still available - I just bought one recently together with one each of the 4 and 8 ohm bass enhanced versions.

Those 20 x 40 ones do usually just squeeze in where Bachmann had the unsealed 20 x 40 standard speakers. They work a treat with Sulzer sounds like the class 24s and 25s, from Howes and legomanbiffo.

100 ohm bass reflex and bass enhanced speakers are still available - I just bought one recently together with one each of the 4 and 8 ohm bass enhanced versions.

Those 20 x 40 ones do usually just squeeze in where Bachmann had the unsealed 20 x 40 standard speakers. They work a treat with Sulzer sounds like the class 24s and 25s, from Howes and legomanbiffo.

Thanks Jeff,

Where do you normally buy your speakers from? 

I have just been out in the garage playing with the class 37 and 25. I love the Sulzer sound in the class 25, it really does thrash when you give it some welly.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Cheers SRman. A quick check on my stock of speakers revealed that I already had a 60x20mm 100 Ohm bass enhanced speaker. Out came the soldering iron and the speaker arrangement in the 56 now looks like this...

post-7247-0-59339200-1417717756_thumb.jpg

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Dave

• Like 3

Cheers SRman. A quick check on my stock of speakers revealed that I already had a 60x20mm 100 Ohm bass enhanced speaker. Out came the soldering iron and the speaker arrangement in the 56 now looks like this... attachicon.gifImg_2607.jpg I'm looking forward to trying it out. Dave

Hi Dave

May I suggest that you turn the speaker over, so that the sound is bouncing off the track. If you take a round file and file out a groove on opposite sides of bottom end of the speaker, thus allowing the speaker to fit inside those two screw holders on the chassis. This makes it easier to re-fit the body and does away with tight fit problem. If you like the sound difference, you could try it on the class fifty eight also.

Regards

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1

Hi Peter

Once again, nice photos. Interesting to see 37 284 with the grill mesh still fitted over the louvres. Don't ever remember seeing the sheep! - must have been a Welsh thing...CF or LE?

The Welsh 37s were very rare in the north east and Yorkshire at that time. While I was working in Manchester I'd go down to South Wales to get a few more ticks in my Platform 5. There was a Euston service left Piccadilly at 00.30. York-Shrewsbury TPO Stockport-Crewe, then Crewe-Cardiff TPO. Full day South Wales, then a 33 back up the Crewe.... and home to Manchester - all on a day return!

Is that the new-ish Hornby 37,and would it have the same mechanism as their split box model? Hope you don't mind me asking such basic questions. I'm completely ignorant of the latest manufacturers developments of the Class 37, so it's knowing what to look out for especially if I buy 2nd hand. It's 15 years since I did any 00 modelling and way back then we used to graft old 1970s style Hornby bodies onto Lima chassis. However, having got them out of their boxes again, the Lima 37s are the worst runners so I've got to look at buying a few replacements.

Problem... Lima 37 1990s £19.99. Hornby 2014 about £95-100...though for a far better looking model.

Regards

Alan

Edited by 60091

Thanks Jeff,

Where do you normally buy your speakers from? 

I have just been out in the garage playing with the class 37 and 25. I love the Sulzer sound in the class 25, it really does thrash when you give it some welly.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter. Sorry it took a while to get back to you: most of my speakers have come from DCC Supplies (excellent service) but the most recent batch came from Peter's Spares (also great service) as I was ordering some other bits and pieces (Markits clack valves being the things I was after most), so it was worthwhile to include them for the same postage costs.

Cheers SRman. A quick check on my stock of speakers revealed that I already had a 60x20mm 100 Ohm bass enhanced speaker. Out came the soldering iron and the speaker arrangement in the 56 now looks like this...

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Dave

Wow! That looks like it will be a real beast when you put the body back on. I'd love to hear it if you can get a recording of it in action, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loving the Brute's Peter! 

Just needs a can of lilt and a packet of packet of home made sarnies and its my first foray into solo spotting at BNS in the 80's!

Love the Brutes Peter! Did you make the newspapers? They're a really nice touch. I especially like the "flap" too. I seem to remember that was very characteristic of them.

Cheers

Dave

Couldn't agree more! Those BRUTEs are ace, only thing missing is a couple of Snorkel clad teenagers, one with the seemingly obligatory ADIDAS shoulder bag, that have set up base camp for an enjoyable days spotting.