Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Just looking at 37669 in red stripe the photo renders the grey rather darker than it appears to the eye.  It's a fairly acute angle view but the best I have.  I must rectify that.  I truly thought I had more of one of St. Blazey's finest in model form!

i do also have a Bachmann 35/5 with the nose end doors rather than a plated over headcode in red-stripe livery which I renumbered to 37674.  It's completely the wrong body for a 37/6 but was a quick fix until the Vi Trains one came along.  674 now usually runs as the second unit double-heading behind 669.  That hides the nose-end problem and gives me a 2x37 "thrash" combination in red-stripe with St. Blazey numbers.  The Bachy loco has slightly lighter grey than the ViTrains one.

• Like 1

Hello again,

I just posted on your thread. I do like the pic of the triple grey pair very nice. The Vitrains class 37s do look very good. Your shot of the red stripe beast is a bit like the pic Marcus posted in that it's parked in the shade I am sure in some good light it would look pretty good.

I am not sure what you could do about the 37/5 I know Cardiff had some. I am not sure you could change the nose ends either as I think the roof would be wrong.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I'll take the grey ones outside sometime soon and do a shoot.  Just been running for an hour in the relative cool of the evening (only 30C) until the mozzies got too much for me.  I don't plan on doing anything with the 37/5.  You're right in that it doesn't convert nicely to a 37/6 as the ends, roof and vents differ.  It was a cheap buy as the livery was missing in my collection and the ViTrains one wasn't available at the time.  I'll leave it in the shafts as a pretend 37/6 ;)

I'll take the grey ones outside sometime soon and do a shoot.  Just been running for an hour in the relative cool of the evening (only 30C) until the mozzies got too much for me.  I don't plan on doing anything with the 37/5.  You're right in that it doesn't convert nicely to a 37/6 as the ends, roof and vents differ.  It was a cheap buy as the livery was missing in my collection and the ViTrains one wasn't available at the time.  I'll leave it in the shafts as a pretend 37/6 ;)

You could change the nose ends and add horns to the roof which is a fairly easy fix. As for vent and grill differences on the roof and cant rail that depended on wether they were built at Vulcan foundry at Newton le Willows or RSH at Darlington. These differences affected both split box and centre panel variants. 37518 was a RSH built loco so has the different arrangement on the cant rail grills.

Cheers

Marcus.

It's a hot one today too, I had half an hour in the garage this morning painting my inspection saloon but it about 40C out there now. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

The wind change has just arrived; the temperature should drop significantly in the next half hour.  There are big storms coming with this change and there is a large fast-moving grass fire in Hastings to keep an eye on - they have an emergency warning currently to get shelter or get out.

Notwithstanding the excitement I did manage a few shots of ViTrains 37669 in Railfreight grey in slightly better light,

i-7hBPK5H-M.jpg

i-X59mJ7K-M.jpg

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 10

Nice pics Rick, that's a very nice model.

Cool change is here too, I just walked the dog and watched people running off the beach. I took a pic with my phone so will try and load it, it's was looking very stormy, with some very dark clouds rolling in. 

I have just checked the weather radar and I think we are in for a bit of rain in the next Half hour. The grass fire was just on the news.

Take care Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I do quite like to ViTrains 37s Peter.  I can't say the same for their 47s though.  

The 37s have a single traction tyre but are otherwise quite respectable models; they pull and control very well and look like a 37 with it.  I had a RES 47 for a time which ran well enough but looked like a cheap toy and suffered from the bogie side frames warping every time it got warm.  I managed to sell it (not at yours - it was a private sale!) along with a rake of matching vans which were really too much for my recent-era needs.

I have to agree with you Rick. I have several Vitrains 37's and their all good runners with good haulage capacity as well. The Bachmann offering may just have the edge looks wise but running wise I can't really fault the Vi's

I can't really comment on the 47's as I've only ever had Heljan and Bachmann examples.

Cheers

Marcus

Still well over 30 in Sydney. The only place to be this afternoon was my air-conditioned railway room :) .

Jealous. 

Something I need to do myself, I would only need a small one.

Happy New Year. 

Cheers Peter.

Very Jealous.

Cold, wet and Windy here in the UK.

Just worked a container train from Birmingham down to London and it's chucked it down the whole way.

Not much call for air conditioning but the cab heater on the 66 was going fit to burst.

Pass back home now so hopefully some modelling time later.

Cheers

Marcus.

Very Jealous.

Just worked a container train from Birmingham down to London and it's chucked it down the whole way.

Not much call for air conditioning but the cab heater on the 66 was going fit to burst.

Cheers

Marcus.

Hi 30s here until about 2 hours ago a lot cooler now. Only had a few spots of rain though. I did know it was pretty cold over there my Brother posted a pic on on Facebook New Years eve, He was driving down to Fawley with some tanks from East Yard.

It's been too hot in the garage today so I have been scanning some negs to post up on Flickr.

Keep warm mate.

Cheers Peter.

Very Jealous.

Cheers

Marcus.

Hi Marcus

Drivers have all the luck, half a shift and home on the cushions, not like us poor signalman stuck here for a full 12 hrs, and its raining horizontally in South Wales(thats old south wales not the new one)

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jealous. 

Something I need to do myself, I would only need a small one.

Happy New Year. 

Cheers Peter.

Peter, when I was planning the new garage railway room, Harry Howell (BRMA Life Member of Stafford fame, whom you will have met at the 2010 Convention) insisted that I should have aircon installed. I'm glad I took his advice. It's reverse cycle of course so when we get to our perishing cold Sydney winter, with temperatures just dropping into single figures, the railway room will be cosy and snug.

Sorry to rub it in for all you Northerners (actually I'm not sorry at all. It's one of the main reasons I decided to come to Australia).

• Like 1

Peter, when I was planning the new garage railway room, Harry Howell (BRMA Life Member of Stafford fame, whom you will have met at the 2010 Convention) insisted that I should have aircon installed. I'm glad I took his advice. It's reverse cycle of course so when we get to our perishing cold Sydney winter, with temperatures just dropping into single figures, the railway room will be cosy and snug.

Sorry to rub it in for all you Northerners (actually I'm not sorry at all. It's one of the main reasons I decided to come to Australia).

It's something I will  look into this year, I loose too many days out there when it's hot and cold. Though during winter I normally tuff it out with an extra jumper and electric heater.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Marcus

Drivers have all the luck, half a shift and home on the cushions, not like us poor signalman stuck here for a full 12 hrs, and its raining horizontally in South Wales(thats old south wales not the new one)

Ian

It was one of you nice signalman types who got me an early finish this morning. Routed me via Weedon rather than Northampton.

Then another very nice one kept me going at Kings Langley. Always said you signallers were top blokes. Well most of you HaHaHa.

Marcus.

• Like 1

Wow, that looks very threatening. Definitely looks like a day to be playing trains inside.

You said that your brother was on the Fawley tanks. I take it he's a DBS driver?

Yep been with them for years and EWS etc before that. Yellowvanman on here though he's not on much. 

I always thought the guys in the panel at Eastleigh were pretty good, even when I was in the groundframe at Eastleigh Depot they were pretty helpful.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Bruv ..just logged on for a catch up , layout is looking good with some more new locos appearing !..  Hows the extention coming on ?.. or are you just doing locos & wagons up at the mo.

My model stuff is moving back into the loft soon & will be sorting out some boards ect..will let you know how its going , its wet & windy today so in sorting more pictures for Flickr, still need another slide scanner which I`m hopping to get soon..cheers for now

Hi Bruv ..just logged on for a catch up , layout is looking good with some more new locos appearing !..  Hows the extention coming on ?.. or are you just doing locos & wagons up at the mo.

My model stuff is moving back into the loft soon & will be sorting out some boards ect..will let you know how its going , its wet & windy today so in sorting more pictures for Flickr, still need another slide scanner which I`m hopping to get soon..cheers for now

Hi Mate,

For most of December I was just out there playing, i sort of lost interest a bit to be honest. Leading up to that I was working on the extension a bit and there are still a few loco's in bits under the layout waiting to be finished off. 2x 20 a class 40 a 56 and a 150 Sprinter, wagons in bits at the moment are MGRs for my fly ash train.

Since Christmas I have almost finished my Inspection saloon but I have things to do round the house at the moment, just chucked the Christmas tree outside now I need to vac up the needles. 

So your plans to build up into the roof aren't happening now then? I guess if you move from the room you are in now that will give give Debs some space. The loft will be good for a model railway it's not a bad size from memory. Just take your time building the boards and you should be right.

I actually scanned some slides yesterday for the first time in ages the quality is ok on some but anything too for off gets a bit fuzzy. I think using cheap slide film doesn't help plus my scanner has never been that good.

All the best, Peter.