Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Nice work on the inspection saloon Peter.  You're a braver man than I am cracking into a fifty-quid coach that doesn't yield easily at first attempt!

ADB = as advised with the B being (as I was always told) simply "British" from British Railways.

Hi Rick,

It's not to hard to do, you just have do be careful with the handrails. Happy to crack yours open when I see you next week if you want.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Rick,

It's not to hard to do, you just have do be careful with the handrails. Happy to crack yours open when I see you next week if you want.

Cheers Peter.

Do you want me to bring along the big hammer, Peter? ;)

• Like 1

Hi Alan,

You must be a few years older than me, I didn't start getting about on the railway until late 84. though as I said I do have some memories of Deltic's. My dad took my Brother and Me to Kings X one time when we up in London. I remember the noise was quite something.

My first ride for many years behind a preserved Deltic was last year when I went to the Swanage Diesel Gala, though it's not the same as doing 90mph plus on the mainline it was still quite good.

The pic below shows 55002     leaving Swanage with both engines working.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-35999000-1420949167_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick,

Cheers Peter.

Sure Peter - no problem.  Mine would look better with someone at the controls when leading!  Most of my locos have had drivers for some time now so the saloon should match.  Powder weathering can easily be restored.

I once - and only once - did the up Flying Scotsman through from Edinburgh to the Cross behind a Deltic.  Can't remember which one now but memory suggests it was Pinza.  Back in the day I also did a bit of train timing and clocked the beast at a steady 103mph right across the Plain of York for miles.  

• Like 1

Hi Peter, thanks for the great pics of the 56, I used to see them at Chichester with the Cargowagons for a warehouse on the Bognor side of town. Mike over on Dent in the Settle and Carlisle section posted some pics of a Blue 56 with a nice rake of HAA Coal hoppers the other day, now I defiantly want one after seeing your pics as well.

Please keep em coming.  

• Like 1

DM45029 looks great now Peter. Just like I remember it. I had a few trips in it as a lookout when the bosses were visiting our area. Most people didn't want to do the job.

And the saloons were not always alone.

20153 + 20165 + DM45029 + 10 x Mk.1 coaches on the Blaenau Centenery on 22 7 1979.

post-1625-0-37001000-1420975236_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Peter,

Well the 56 was certainly worth waiting for, and certainly looks good deputising on the tanks.

The inspection saloon looks the part too, nicely done and subtle weathering, great work as usual Peter.

When I look at Llanbourne pictures, I am always drawn into the little details that make it look so realistic, like the old sleepers holding the rusty rails away from the rodding, and the broken wall. It's the superb little touches, that make all the difference. :imsohappy:

Merfyn, that's one hell of a photo.... ;)

Jinty ;-)

Edited by Jintyman

Hi Peter,

Just been catching up with developments here on Llanbourne and your topic stirs some real memories, especially the talk about the WHL and stopping for a butty at Crianlarich.  We often used to do the 0550 from Glasqow QS to Tyndrum Upper, get off run down the hill and call in at the camping shop cafe for a nice butty before going onto the 0800 ex Oban at Tyndrum lower.

Happy memories.... and here's one to add to the collection at Arrochar:

post-4186-0-78840300-1420982402_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Lee

• Like 8

Hi Alan,

You must be a few years older than me, I didn't start getting about on the railway until late 84. though as I said I do have some memories of Deltic's.

My first ride for many years behind a preserved Deltic was last year when I went to the Swanage Diesel Gala, though it's not the same as doing 90mph plus on the mainline it was still quite good.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

I was mad on trains as a kid as grandad was an NCB driver, then lost interest until 1979 when I was 19. Still too late to see many of the earlier diesels working top link duties as the HST takeover was well underway. Luckily, by spending many hours at York I was able to get haulage behind all the surviving Deltics - ex 001 and 020. This was mostly between York and Doncaster and occasionally from Newcastle, including a couple of runs up to Waverley.

My only ride behind 002 was on the day she re-entered service, in green livery, after a ceremony at the NRM. 

post-13274-0-50050300-1421011848.jpg

55002 at York. December 1981-IIRC??

post-13274-0-53361300-1421012032.jpg

The Black Watch ? slowing for the Selby stop. Sadly I never had a Deltic all the to Kings X. I also remember hanging out of a window was never easy once they were running at 95-100mph! 

Alan

Edited by 60091
  • Like 5

Thanks Andy, I haven't heard of that class 56 working. Do you know where it came from? I think there was a sand train that worked down to Chichester with a class 73 but I never saw that either.

I have some HAA on the workbench at the moment so eventually 56070 will be seen working a short rake. The 56 is a great model so you should get yourself one though they aren't cheap.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the pic Merf,

Do you know why the saloon was being used?

I have seen a video clip of a pair of class 20 leaving Crewe with an Inspection Saloon so I might have to do that.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Jinty,

The class 56 has taken me a while to finish off, I lost interest in it for a while but once I started the weathering it didn't take long to finish. I need to crack on with a pair of 20s and a class 40 now which are gathering dust under the layout at the moment.

Adding the detail all takes time, the thing to remember is not to add too much.

Cheers Peter.

Nice Pics Alan, The last Deltic I saw in BR service was 55012 on a railtour to I think Bournemouth. I went up the local cattle bridge and watched it storm past. I took my first picture that day but it was a dull wet day so didn't come out well.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the pic Merf,

Do you know why the saloon was being used?

I have seen a video clip of a pair of class 20 leaving Crewe with an Inspection Saloon so I might have to do that.

Cheers Peter.

Long story Peter. I was one of the organisers of the train. The North Wales Railway Circle wanted to celebrate the centenary of the Blaenau branch in 1979. The BR guys were very helpful in the chartering of the train and after we had arranged a 10 coach train from Crewe there was talk of doing something a little bit special. A suggestion was made that as a Class 20 had been to Blaenau in 1961, perhaps we could have another but this time a first time with passengers. No problem, and BR agreed to fetch a pair over from Toton for us.

The day came and our crowd of committee and helpers went to Crewe Carriage shed and found the train. However at the rear were 2 more coaches, a Mk.1 FO for the invited guests, like local Mayors and councellors etc. and our committee. And at the rear 45029 which BR had put on for themselves, Area Manager, Divisional Manager and all sorts. The train was now too long for the run round at Blaenau but when we got there the locos were detached and into the yard while a Class 25 waiting hauled the stock into the station and then up onto the Trawsfynnedd branch allowing the 20s to get on the other end.

All very well organised by BR, they really entered into the spirit of the Centenary themselves, and a great day was had by all.

Merf.

• Like 2

I do quite like to ViTrains 37s Peter.  I can't say the same for their 47s though.  

The 37s have a single traction tyre but are otherwise quite respectable models; they pull and control very well and look like a 37 with it.  I had a RES 47 for a time which ran well enough but looked like a cheap toy and suffered from the bogie side frames warping every time it got warm.  I managed to sell it (not at yours - it was a private sale!) along with a rake of matching vans which were really too much for my recent-era needs.

Are your 37s older models? My vitrains ones had no traction tyres and ran superbly. The 47s the same. I feel the 37 is the worst of the two looks wise, however the issue turns out to be poor glazing rather than shape issues. Check out 37707 on Boxenby which used to be mine before I sold on my OO stock. The flush windows make a hell of a difference. As for the 47 I feel it is actually the best shape class 47 of them all. True the factory finish may look a little toy like, although a bit of matt varnish and weathering does wonders, but I always repaint in any case generally so not a major problem for me tbh. The pics below show 47210 when it ran on Outon Road, nothing toy like about this and never any issue with bogie frames warping. The top one was before adding lazerglaze the bottom one after. Was my favourite loco on the layout that one.

post-6894-0-13025300-1421073898_thumb.png

post-6894-0-88469400-1421073942.png

• Like 11

Are your 37s older models? My vitrains ones had no traction tyres and ran superbly. The 47s the same. I feel the 37 is the worst of the two looks wise, however the issue turns out to be poor glazing rather than shape issues. Check out 37707 on Boxenby which used to be mine before I sold on my OO stock. The flush windows make a hell of a difference. As for the 47 I feel it is actually the best shape class 47 of them all. True the factory finish may look a little toy like, although a bit of matt varnish and weathering does wonders, but I always repaint in any case generally so not a major problem for me tbh. The pics below show 47210 when it ran on Outon Road, nothing toy like about this and never any issue with bogie frames warping. The top one was before adding lazerglaze the bottom one after. Was my favourite loco on the layout that one.

attachicon.gif2015-01-12 14.43.19.png

attachicon.gif2015-01-12 14.43.44.png

Peter, sorry to but in on your Thread, but I have to say the Vi trains 37 and 47's that I've had all ran beautifully on my DCC Layouts and I'm looking for another like Cav's one above, (EDIT = now back a page) in a 37 and a 47 Distribution Livery.

Really good weathering mate.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Are your 37s older models? My vitrains ones had no traction tyres and ran superbly.

Probably among the earliest they released.  

I've just checked as I bought atthird one more recently and that doesn't have a traction tyre.  Must have been a design change along the way.  These things happen.  Hattons will have a record of my issues with the 47.  Is that really enough to give me a "Disagree" rating or was that a mis-hit for something else?

Probably among the earliest they released.  

I've just checked as I bought atthird one more recently and that doesn't have a traction tyre.  Must have been a design change along the way.  These things happen.  Hattons will have a record of my issues with the 47.  Is that really enough to give me a "Disagree" rating or was that a mis-hit for something else?

It was certainly not meant as an insult of any kind I was just disagreeing with your view on not liking the Vitrain 47. I do like them very much as I feel that their shape is the best available to date and they run well. Im not disputing that you had problems as many problems that people have are not necessary typical of a paticular model, I just felt that your comments may have been detrimental to others buying and using a very very good base model as a canvas to a great loco because of an issue that you had which would be a shame. Please dont take my rating as anything malicious, I dont see the disagree button as anything other than what it days on the tin. I have certainly been disagreed with for less.

Hi Peter, very nice! Grid 70 looks lovely after being given the PCM weathering touch. I cannot wait to see her on HAAs!

Nice to see the 58 and 31 arrived safely, great additions to the Llanbourne fleet.

Hi Alex,

Thanks mate, I am pretty happy with the class 56, just need a large logo one now.

The 31 and 58 are great I need to get some decodes to give them a good run, it might be a while before I get to weathering them.

Cheers Peter.