Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Long story Peter. I was one of the organisers of the train. The North Wales Railway Circle wanted to celebrate the centenary of the Blaenau branch in 1979. The BR guys were very helpful in the chartering of the train and after we had arranged a 10 coach train from Crewe there was talk of doing something a little bit special. A suggestion was made that as a Class 20 had been to Blaenau in 1961, perhaps we could have another but this time a first time with passengers. No problem, and BR agreed to fetch a pair over from Toton for us.The day came and our crowd of committee and helpers went to Crewe Carriage shed and found the train. However at the rear were 2 more coaches, a Mk.1 FO for the invited guests, like local Mayors and councellors etc. and our committee. And at the rear 45029 which BR had put on for themselves, Area Manager, Divisional Manager and all sorts. The train was now too long for the run round at Blaenau but when we got there the locos were detached and into the yard while a Class 25 waiting hauled the stock into the station and then up onto the Trawsfynnedd branch allowing the 20s to get on the other end.All very well organised by BR, they really entered into the spirit of the Centenary themselves, and a great day was had by all.Merf.

Interesting story Merf,

I have a book on North Wales railways and there is a pic of a green class 20 on the branch working a special gauging train.

I bet you would have trouble arranging a tour now .

Cheers Peter.

Hi Bruv, like the Grid & inspection coach they look great..remember working the SR one as a TM`D` out from Bournenouth , had a ED for power.

Thanks mate,

I remember going out to see one on the w/loo Exeter line with a 33/1 doing the pushing.

Cheers Peter.

Are your 37s older models? My vitrains ones had no traction tyres and ran superbly. The 47s the same. I feel the 37 is the worst of the two looks wise, however the issue turns out to be poor glazing rather than shape issues. Check out 37707 on Boxenby which used to be mine before I sold on my OO stock. The flush windows make a hell of a difference. As for the 47 I feel it is actually the best shape class 47 of them all. True the factory finish may look a little toy like, although a bit of matt varnish and weathering does wonders, but I always repaint in any case generally so not a major problem for me tbh. The pics below show 47210 when it ran on Outon Road, nothing toy like about this and never any issue with bogie frames warping. The top one was before adding lazerglaze the bottom one after. Was my favourite loco on the layout that one.

attachicon.gif2015-01-12 14.43.19.png

attachicon.gif2015-01-12 14.43.44.png

Hi Cav,

That is a beast, I remember you doing that on your workbench thread.

I liked the look of my class 47 the problem for me is that it didn't run as well as my Bachmann class 47s. It ran smooth enough but didn't seen to glide over my track like the Bachmann locos. Remember of course my track is old Peco code 100 so the vi trains locos probably prefer finer track.

Cheers Peter.

Morning Peter, all my track has been Peco Code 100 until my current Bitton build, I've just ordered a Vi Trains 37 in Distribution livery last night for another joint project later in the year. This was Vi Trains 37 and 47 on my Swad Lane that was Code 100.

post-9335-0-90583700-1421144882_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-87276200-1421144929_thumb.jpg

Sorry for posting pics on here, I will remove them if you would prefer.

All the best.

• Like 3

Morning Peter, all my track has been Peco Code 100 until my current Bitton build, I've just ordered a Vi Trains 37 in Distribution livery last night for another joint project later in the year. This was Vi Trains 37 and 47 on my Swad Lane that was Code 100.

attachicon.gifLocos for Swad 2 006.JPG

attachicon.gifLocos for Swad 2 015.JPG

Sorry for posting pics on here, I will remove them if you would prefer.

All the best.

I don't mind Andy, not a bad layout that, I remember seeing your thread on it. Maybe it's my track work or me being too fussy it wasn't really that bad.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Having computer problems, so will be off line for a bit.

Cheers Peter.

Must be catching.  Mine slowed down this morning.  Then it was overtaken by a geriatric snail with a Zimmer frame.  Then it stopped altogether.

After checking there was no malware and no junk hiding inside I ended up reinstalling the OS and it's been fine since.

I also took a drive up to Cheltenham and came back with some narrow gauge track.  Might have been the Welsh influence - all those Great Little Trains don't you know ;) - but in reality it's for a quickie build project due for its first showing in April and not even started yet!

• Like 1

Hi Rick,

Laptop seems to be running ok at the moment. Just cost a $100.00 to get it fixed though. 

Looks like the weather should be good for your meeting Saturday.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Good news on both fronts - laptop and weather.  $100 out is never good news unless it's over the counter at Dan Murphy's or online to buy trains! 

Spent an hour fettling points and general cleaning today.  Currently everything works including the rare moves.  What happens on Saturday with the layout on parade is anyone's guess!!!!!

Good news on both fronts - laptop and weather.  $100 out is never good news unless it's over the counter at Dan Murphy's or online to buy trains! 

Spent an hour fettling points and general cleaning today.  Currently everything works including the rare moves.  What happens on Saturday with the layout on parade is anyone's guess!!!!!

Hi Rick,

Your layout normally runs pretty well but I am sure something will come off, especially when we aren't watching. :locomotive:

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's true Peter - this afternoon I had the slip-coach mystery to investigate.  It turns out to be a problem I encounter from time to time with trains coming off a downhill stretch onto the level with couples compressed.  They sometimes part.  If I were to convert to Kadees of course that wouldn't happen.  Or would it?  I'd also need a decent sized lottery win to convert the entire fleet but might start with locos and leading coaches.

• 2 weeks later...

That's true Peter - this afternoon I had the slip-coach mystery to investigate.  It turns out to be a problem I encounter from time to time with trains coming off a downhill stretch onto the level with couples compressed.  They sometimes part.  If I were to convert to Kadees of course that wouldn't happen.  Or would it?  I'd also need a decent sized lottery win to convert the entire fleet but might start with locos and leading coaches.

Hi Rick,

Sorry about the late reply. Your layout ran really well the other week but the slip coach did happen again. Kadee's would probably solve the problem but as you say would cost a small fortune. Maybe some form of braking on the last coach might help.

Cheers Peter.

Not much to report, the class 56 is still sat in the station on the oil train it arrived on the other day, I did add a touch more weathering on the bogies though. 47613 has had it's Bachmann sound replaced with Bifs 47/4 sound and even with standard speaker it's pretty good.

The HAAs are progressing with the wagons back together and waiting to be weathered.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-77260500-1422621103_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-86460900-1422621224_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-39930500-1422621436_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Looks good bruv , whats with the MGRs.. need a few of them to make a full rake!.. will it fit in the station.

I only have 12  MGRs which is a short train really as their should be 30+ but they look ok on the layout.

Cheers Peter. 

Yes. It is really a case of fitting the train to the proportions of the layout. 30+ wagons would cause a sort of gridlock on Llanbourne, I think! :D

Thanks Jeff,

It certainly would and to be honest I don't fancy doing another 20+ HAAs 12 will be enough.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

I have found some info on another thread which said some of the Euston Holyhead trains had RMBs in the consist. My two rakes have the old Mainline model which I think is a RBR which I am pretty sure ran in the trains too.

If anyone wants to sell a Bachmann MK1 RMB part number 39-264 in blue grey let me know. There doesn't seem to be any about at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

I have found some info on another thread which said some of the Euston Holyhead trains had RMBs in the consist. My two rakes have the old Mainline model which I think is a RBR which I am pretty sure ran in the trains too.

If anyone wants to sell a Bachmann MK1 RBR part number 39-264 in blue grey let me know. There doesn't seem to be any about at the moment.

Cheers Peter.

Peter, 39-264 is an RMB - I think that is what you meant to type.

Looking great what kadees did you fit to you haas had a quick scan through and can't find it?

Thanks David

Hi David,

The HAAs are fitted with number 5s I will take a pic as one end of the wagon is set up differently to the other.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

56 is looking great, should look good on the fly ash!!!!  :imsohappy:

As for Kadees, have you tried No; 148's? They are the whisker version of the No;5's.i find them some what smoother in operation.

The gearboxes clip together too, so you can prepare the coupling complete before mounting.
The 147 is the same but underset, and the 149 is an overset.

I'll assemble a 148 tomorrow and take a picture for you

Think I'm going to have to send some of my PCA's over to you for weathering!!! Love the TTA's

Jinty ;-)

Hi Peter,

56 is looking great, should look good on the fly ash!!!!  :imsohappy:

As for Kadees, have you tried No; 148's? They are the whisker version of the No;5's.i find them some what smoother in operation.

The gearboxes clip together too, so you can prepare the coupling complete before mounting.

The 147 is the same but underset, and the 149 is an overset.

I'll assemble a 148 tomorrow and take a picture for you

Think I'm going to have to send some of my PCA's over to you for weathering!!! Love the TTA's

Jinty ;-)

Hi Jinty,

I haven't tried the 148s. If you post up a pic that would be great. I used number 5s because I had most of them made up and sat in a box, I did have to get a couple of packs and make some up though, but gluing them together can be a pain.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Here are a couple of pictures.

The first one shows the No,148 and the No,5 side by side. They are the same dimension in length from the pivot hole to the heel of the claw.

post-14906-0-83386600-1422785702_thumb.jpg

The second one shows the coupling assembled in its gearbox. there isn't a copper spring to add, the little wires seen above do the springing, the coupling just sits in the spindle, and the lid just clicks shut. There are little locating pieces each side.

post-14906-0-82018600-1422785716_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure of the numbers for the longer reach ones, but a quick look through Kadee's website would find it.

A multipack of 148's is available but you need to get snap together gearboxes for them. I'm not sure of the ref code for the snap together gearboxes either, so that they could be bought seperatly, but I will endeavour to find out. The gearbox I've used is the one that comes supplied with the 148.

As mentioned before there are 2 others, the 147, which is an underset one, and a 149, which is an overset one.

They're all about the same price as well, and I think that DCC Concepts supply them in Oz.

Hope that clarifies them for you

Regards

Jinty ;-)