Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Love the layout!

I notice that you are using KaDee couplers, and was wondering what information you can provide in terms of best options for various models.

I've got a sample of different sizes to play with my stock to see what I'll need and I've noticed that not all of the NEM pockets are at the same heights.

My stock looks like it'll be similar to what you are running and was wondering if you'd be able to share any tricks or secrets with the more difficult models.

Some, such as the Heljans (and surprisingly most of my Hornby models) all line up perfectly with the Kadee height guage, it seems to be the Bachmann models that don't.

Thanks again!

Love the layout!

I notice that you are using KaDee couplers, and was wondering what information you can provide in terms of best options for various models.

I've got a sample of different sizes to play with my stock to see what I'll need and I've noticed that not all of the NEM pockets are at the same heights.

My stock looks like it'll be similar to what you are running and was wondering if you'd be able to share any tricks or secrets with the more difficult models.

Some, such as the Heljans (and surprisingly most of my Hornby models) all line up perfectly with the Kadee height guage, it seems to be the Bachmann models that don't.

Thanks again!

Hi,

Most of the new Bachmann stuff is ok, sometimes the couplers have a bit of a droop when sitting in the NEM box, I normally push a sliver of plasticard under the coupler or slide out the box and file some plastic from the top so when you push it back in it sits higher up, if you get my drift.:D Older stock normally gets number 5 Kadees as they are pretty versatile. If you haven't already have one, I would invest in a Kadee coupler gauge. Most of my recent loco's which have the NEM box have 18s or 19s as do most of my Bachmann wagons.

Let me know if you need more help, but as you say you have a few to play with so see how you go.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Shameless plug time.:D

John Dedman sent me has lastest book last week. My brother and myself were both sent a book as we have both had a few of our pictures published. A first for me :D though Keith has had a few published in rail mags.

BR Blue no 3 Freight in the 80s. published by Kevin Robertson under Noodle Books.

If you have the other two you will certainly like this one.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-066954000 1284639115_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You may know the answer to this question. When did dutch yellow and grey livery start on engineering wagons?

Info not for me, for a friend who is modelling a wagon works.

Thanks Claggy

Glad to see you get failures too. What was 45029s fault?

Hi Claggy,

I think it was about 1982/3 Paul Bartlett's wagon site could probably be more help.

Yes the Peak, it was only a split air pipe. Anything major and it would have been off to Crewe.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Shameless plug time.:D

BR Blue no 3 Freight in the 80s. published by Kevin Robertson under Noodle Books.

If you have the other two you will certainly like this one.

Cheers Peter.

Bought this on Saturday B)

Hi,

Most of the new Bachmann stuff is ok, sometimes the couplers have a bit of a droop when sitting in the NEM box, I normally push a sliver of plasticard under the coupler or slide out the box and file some plastic from the top so when you push it back in it sits higher up, if you get my drift.:D Older stock normally gets number 5 Kadees as they are pretty versatile. If you haven't already have one, I would invest in a Kadee coupler gauge. Most of my recent loco's which have the NEM box have 18s or 19s as do most of my Bachmann wagons.

Let me know if you need more help, but as you say you have a few to play with so see how you go.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Finally got my baseboards in place, and will be starting on laying track in the next little while. I have one of the Kadee couple guages, and I don't doubt that it will be getting a lot of use.

I'll certainly be contacting you if I have any other questions!

Derek

Hi Pete , like the latest pics, looking good ....will be nice to see it in the flesh next year ( all going well)..:D

Hi Keith,

Awesome, I will have to tidy up a bit though, it's a bit of a mess at the moment.:rolleyes:

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

Finally got my baseboards in place, and will be starting on laying track in the next little while. I have one of the Kadee couple guages, and I don't doubt that it will be getting a lot of use.

I'll certainly be contacting you if I have any other questions!

Derek

Hi Derek,

No worries, probably best to get some track down and work out your curves, less chance of putting on the wrong coupler and have buffer lock problems.:D

Cheers Peter.

I have been inspired by Claggy, Daves (Waverley West) and Aberdeen Kirkhill T&RSMD night shots. So thought I would give it a go on Llanbourne, the only area which has lights at the moment is the yard area, I really need to sort some lighting out for the station area. Anyway here are a few pics.

45029 sits on the fuel tank road.

08695 waits for the shunter.

47535 waits to leave the shed.

33010 shunts vans into platform 4.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-043499000 1285407341_thumb.jpg

post-7022-078351200 1285407513_thumb.jpg

post-7022-091865900 1285407737_thumb.jpg

post-7022-029340300 1285407926_thumb.jpg

post-7022-054419400 1285408133_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You want 46's for freight workings in North Wales. After a while they could not be used on passenger workings so freight was all they were fit for towards the end. The Maentwrog Road working was a one-off for a 'Peak'. I remember Merfyn phoning me to say I had missed it.....!:angry: ;)

I friend has loaned me one of my own videos that I made for him yonks ago. Looking at it now, I had forgotten I'd filmed most of the stuff. I started a year too late to catch the 'Peaks', but maybe Merf got them on his 10-ton shoulder mounted machine...:P

You want 46's for freight workings in North Wales. After a while they could not be used on passenger workings so freight was all they were fit for towards the end. The Maentwrog Road working was a one-off for a 'Peak'. I remember Merfyn phoning me to say I had missed it.....!:angry: ;)

I friend has loaned me one of my own videos that I made for him yonks ago. Looking at it now, I had forgotten I'd filmed most of the stuff. I started a year too late to catch the 'Peaks', but maybe Merf got them on his 10-ton shoulder mounted machine...:P

Hi Larry,

I bet you didn't call him Merfyn that day.:lol: ;) I have seen a pic of Peak 45052 working the Target trip to Holyhead, that probably only happened once too. Did the class 33s ever get used on local freight or ECS along the coast?

Any video clips would be cool.:D

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.:D

Dave, The Peak 45029 is a few years old now but still a bit of a favourite of mine, I had it for haulage a few times and have a few pics so rude not to do a model it.

Claggy, Probably more of a sunset shot, I was having a bit of a play around with the light. I need some more lighting for the layout, I might have to do something that.

Arpleymodeller, Thanks still plenty to do though.:D

Doug, The wall has come up alright , I just need to finish the station roof and that area will look alot better.

John, No worries mate it's a great book, I am still looking though it though I have read all the captions now. I am off work next week so should be able to send you some more pics for the next one.:)

Richard, I was thinking of putting a few of these in the realistic model section, but I have had pic of the week already.

Jeff, Well you do like your class 33s, would be better if it had sound though eh.

Cheers Peter.